using Statement error in a WBT Course

Posted by S33 on 21-Jan-2016 12:45

Hi --

I'm enrolled in one of the web-based training courses: "Providing Progress OpenEdge Applications as REST Web Applications (1000-053)" and I'm getting an error in a lot of the sample code that comes with the class. That probably means there's something wrong in my configuration....

I believe the root cause is in a statement: "using Appserver.crm.Customer" because when I hover over that line in Dev Studio, it pops up with "unable to resolve 'Appserver.crm.Customer'".

This is my first day with the "using" statement  :-)  Can I tell where "using" is looking for that resource (PROPATH?) and, if I can determine where it should be looking, how can I influence it?

Probably not relevant, but I'm using an eval PDSOE 11.6 license on Win7 64-bit. The course looks like it was developed in 11.5.

In general, is there tech support for the wbt courses?

Thanks in advance -- Jim

Posted by S33 on 29-Jan-2016 08:20

Started over and got success!

Thanks Peter & Matheu for your help.

FYI: I'll probably never know for sure but I think that in Ex. 1.1, Part 2, Step 4t, when setting up the database connections, I simply clicked OK, *without* having checkboxed the testdb connection.

All Replies

Posted by Peter Judge on 21-Jan-2016 12:54

Probably not relevant, but I'm using an eval PDSOE 11.6 license on Win7 64-bit. The course looks like it was developed in 11.5.

Should not be a problem.

I believe the root cause is in a statement: "using Appserver.crm.Customer" because when I hover over that line in Dev Studio, it pops up with "unable to resolve 'Appserver.crm.Customer'".

The USING statement – and in general, the compiler when it tries to resolve class/type names – is relative to PROPATH. It also has to match the package name in the type statement (ie CLASS this.is.the.Package.AndClass ).  Given the name of the course and the leading "Appserver" that the leading APpServer is not necessary, since that's a folder on propath already. You can check this in the project properties (right-click on the project name) and navigate into the OE properties and propath.

Did you add this USING line, or did PDSOE add it automatically?

Posted by Matheus R. Mokwa on 21-Jan-2016 12:57

I did the same course as you also in 11.6, could you tell what part of the course you are? I'll try do the course again and see if I can help.

Posted by Matheus R. Mokwa on 21-Jan-2016 13:15

Think I got it. Did you add a database conection on the CustomerOrderApp?

Click over the CustomerOrderApp (not the ClientCustomerOrderApp), and acess the Properties.

Go to: Progress OpenEdge -> Database Connections.

Here you need to configure you database, that you created previously (proenv -> prodb) in the section below:

Guided exercice 1.1: Prepating your training enviroment  - Part 2 -Creating and connection the database to the sample application.

After you do this, this problem "unable to resolve 'Appserver.crm.Customer'" should be solved.

Posted by S33 on 26-Jan-2016 11:16

Still no joy. I did all of that, back in Part 2.

I think I'll delete everything and start again from Square #1.

Thanks for letting me know that success is at least possible.   :-)

Posted by S33 on 26-Jan-2016 11:18

Q: "Did you add this USING line, or did PDSOE add it automatically?"

A: It is part of the sample code I downloaded as part of the course; I am assuming PDSOE did NOT generate it on the fly.

Posted by S33 on 29-Jan-2016 08:20

Started over and got success!

Thanks Peter & Matheu for your help.

FYI: I'll probably never know for sure but I think that in Ex. 1.1, Part 2, Step 4t, when setting up the database connections, I simply clicked OK, *without* having checkboxed the testdb connection.

This thread is closed