Stopping a Pacific AppServer Job/Thread

Posted by Alon Blich on 13-Jan-2016 02:06

Hello All,

I understand that the Pacific Appserver for OpenEdge (PASOE) runs jobs as thread unlike the regular AppServer which runs jobs on separate agent processes.

I did not see in the documentation whether it is possible to kill a runaway job/thread on PASOE? on the regular AppServer you could kill the agent process from the operating system. I don't think killing a thread in the same way would be a good idea.

Thanks!

Posted by David Cleary on 13-Jan-2016 13:56

As Peter said, we don't use the term thread, but instead use session. We do have an API available through REST or JMX that allows the killing of a hung session. We are also adding an API that allows killing of all sessions in the free session pool. That is mostly for development, though, where we want to pick up r-code changes for singleton objects.

Posted by Peter Judge on 13-Jan-2016 11:16

Hi Alon,

Yes, you can kill an individual session as well as the whole multi-session agent. The doc describes operations in terms of sessions rather than threads, so look there.  Take a look at documentation.progress.com/.../session-management.html and related.

All Replies

Posted by Peter Judge on 13-Jan-2016 11:16

Hi Alon,

Yes, you can kill an individual session as well as the whole multi-session agent. The doc describes operations in terms of sessions rather than threads, so look there.  Take a look at documentation.progress.com/.../session-management.html and related.

Posted by David Cleary on 13-Jan-2016 13:56

As Peter said, we don't use the term thread, but instead use session. We do have an API available through REST or JMX that allows the killing of a hung session. We are also adding an API that allows killing of all sessions in the free session pool. That is mostly for development, though, where we want to pick up r-code changes for singleton objects.

Posted by Alon Blich on 14-Jan-2016 04:02

Fantastic! Thank you Peter and David

This thread is closed