ADM1 question

Posted by Piotr Ryszkiewicz on 12-Jan-2016 08:24

Hi,

I have to fix some prehistoric code written using ADM1 framework. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with ADM1 nor ADM2. I was able to fix some initial problems, but now I am stuck with following: I have tabbed view (Folder). When I change value of a fill-in field in first tab, it should change value of another fill-in in second tab, and then apply "LEAVE" trigger to that field, so that other fields on that tab are also populated. I did it using PUBLISH/SUBSCRIBE, but I expect this is not standard way in ADM1. Maybe that leads to current problem: fields on second tab are filled as expected, but when I choose "OK" button, changes are not saved. Looks like it doesn't know, that the values have been changed (The standard question "Do you wish to save..." does not appear). When I type anything to any field on second tab everything is saved as expected. So the question is: how to let ADM1 know that values on the second tab have been changed ?

BTW, is there any documentation regarding ADM1 available ?

Regards,

Piotr

All Replies

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 12-Jan-2016 08:50

Piotr,

It has been a long time since I have had to do anything with ADM1, however, you may want to check the fields you are setting to ensure that their MODIFIED attribute is set to true.

Brian

Posted by Peter Judge on 12-Jan-2016 08:57

My recollection of ADM1 is that all messaging goes through the broker (rather than the more modern PUB/SUB mechanism which is used by ADM2).

I'll see if there's any doc around the office

Posted by Piotr Ryszkiewicz on 12-Jan-2016 09:34

Brian,

Thanks for hint.. In fact I tried it myself without success, but it was because I tried to set MODIFIED attribute to the field which was not ENABLED. So now I am one step forward. Now it works, but only if I switch to that second tab at least once (no need to update anything there). But if I don't it still does not notice MODIFIED attribute :(

Regards,

Piotr

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 12-Jan-2016 09:39

Piotr,

That is correct.  The objects on the tabs are on separate logical pages and are not enabled until they are touched.  There is a way to preload them.  Let me look into it.

Brian

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 12-Jan-2016 09:49

Piotr,

Okay, what you need to do is to create an override procedure for adm-initialize in the SmartWindow.  This will create a procedure named local-initialize.  In that procedure, insert the following after the comment block that says "code place here will execute AFRTER standard behavior"...

RUN init-pages ('a comma delimited, no spaces list of page numbers goes here').

So if, for example, you have three tabs on your folder and you want to preload the objects on all three tabs your code would look like:

RUN init-pages ('1,2,3').

Brian

Posted by Piotr Ryszkiewicz on 12-Jan-2016 10:14

Brian,

Unfortunately, it does not work :( Now it shows second tab for a moment with all fields filled, but still it does not save it.

I tried to experiment with this:

RUN dispatch IN  h_v-adr_2 (INPUT 'assign-record':U).

h_v-adr_2 is the handle to second tab.

It does force save, but without question. Maybe there is something else to 'dispatch' to simulate standard behaviour ?

Regards,

Piotr

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 12-Jan-2016 10:29

Piotr,

This is now beyond what I remember of ADM1.  I think it would be best if you open a case with Tech Support.

Brian

Posted by pliscki on 12-Jan-2016 10:29

Instead of assign-record, try with 'update-record'.

Posted by pliscki on 12-Jan-2016 10:34

Just a few questions.

Are you using an update-panel ?

Could you tell us what are the current smart links of the objects? ( right click on the window -> SmartLinks ).

Posted by Piotr Ryszkiewicz on 12-Jan-2016 11:00

No, there is no update-panel.

Current links are:

h_folder        Page      THIS-PROCEDURE

h_folder        State     h_v-adr_1

h_folder        State     h_v-adr_2

h_folder        State     h_v-adr_3

h_v-adr_1       UpdateBIC h_v-adr_2

h_v-adr_2       UpdateBIC h_v-adr_1

THIS-PROCEDURE  State     h_folder

THIS-PROCEDURE  Record    h_v-adr_1

THIS-PROCEDURE  State     h_v-adr_1

THIS-PROCEDURE  TableIO   h_v-adr_1

THIS-PROCEDURE  Record    h_v-adr_2

THIS-PROCEDURE  TableIO   h_v-adr_2

THIS-PROCEDURE  Record    h_v-adr_3

THIS-PROCEDURE  TableIO   h_v-adr_3

Some explanation on this: h_v-adr_1,2,3 are handles to three existing SmartViewers on three tabs of h_folder. UpdateBIC is my custom link type which I wanted to use to communicate between tab 1 and tab 2. At the end I used PUBLISH/SUBSCRIBE, as I didn't know how to raise UpdateBIC event, but I had to leave these links there, as without them second tab was not initialized at the beginning, so I could not SUBSCRIBE.

The dialog have only this tabbed folder and OK and Cancel buttons, nothing more.

update-record also does not ask before save.

Posted by pliscki on 12-Jan-2016 12:12

You don't need to create two links for UpdateBIC. Moreover it can cause a deadlock.

Everytime you use a link you need to specify whether it is the Source or the Target.

I'll show some examples that might be handy.

Considering you only have the following link:  

h_v-adr_1       UpdateBIC h_v-adr_2

To execute a procedure in another object :  

run notify ('proc-name', 'link-type').

eg: run notify ('some-proc', 'UpdateBIC-target').  

(it will execute 'some-proc' inside h_v-adr_2).

To send parameters to another object:

run set-link-attribute  in adm-broker-hdl ( 'source-proc-handle' ,  'link-type', 'att=val, att=val').

e.g

inside h_v-adr_1

run set-link-attribute in adm-brojer-hdl (THIS-PROCEDURE, 'UpdateBIC-targe',  'att=value,att=value,...').

to get the value of the attribute inside h_v-adr_1

RUN GET-ATTRIBUTE (INPUT 'att').

char-var = RETURN-VALUE.

Posted by Piotr Ryszkiewicz on 13-Jan-2016 03:32

These UpdateBIC links were not functional - as I wrote before, I left them there just to force initialization of both tabs. Real communication went through PUBLISH/SUBSCRIBE. But now I tried to go back to standard ADM1 communication based on what you wrote. I left just one UpdateBIC link, with v_h-adr_1 as Source and v_h-adr_2 as Target.

The syntax of 'notify' you sent seems to be wrong - it takes just one parameter, so I think it should be either

RUN notify('UpdateBIC')

or

RUN notify('UpdateBIC,UpdateBIC-TARGET')

I tried both. In first case I got error "Method name UpdateBIC not found in 'notify'". In second case nothing happened.

I did some debugging. In broker-notify procedure found in adm\method\broksmrt.i which is supposed to process notify, there is no entry in adm-link-buffer table with link-type "UpdateBIC", that's why it does not do anything.

Also, when I look at attributes of both v_h-adr_1 and v_h-adr_2 there is no UpdateBIC among SUPPORTED-LINKS. Isn't it a problem ? How can I add it there ? In Advanced Procedure Settings window button Add for Supported SmartLinks is not active.

Posted by Piotr Ryszkiewicz on 13-Jan-2016 04:33

OK, I found the reason. The UpdateBIC link between v_h-adr_1 and v_h-adr_2 is really created only after I click on v_h-adr_2. After that the communication works. But that means, that I got to the same point as I had been before using PUBLISH/SUBSCRIBE: I need to artificially add second UpdateBIC link in opposite direction to initialize second tab, and still data updated on second tab with UpdateBIC procedure are not saved until I switch to second tab at least once.

Posted by pliscki on 13-Jan-2016 06:19

Where did you place the RUN notify ?

Are you still executing init-pages as Brian mentioned?

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 13-Jan-2016 07:50

Piotr,

It sounds like the UpdateBIC link is only being established during the application execution and not as part of the initialization.  I think you should check each of the programs that use the UpdateBIC link and ensure that the link is properly established during initialization.

Alternatively, ensure that the correct pages are being initialized in init-pages.

Brian

P.S.  UpdateBIC is not a standard link type.  It is a custom link type that the original developer created.

Posted by Piotr Ryszkiewicz on 13-Jan-2016 08:02

RUN notify is in LEAVE trigger of one of fields in v_h-adr_1. I tried with and without init-pages, the behaviour is the same.

Posted by Piotr Ryszkiewicz on 13-Jan-2016 09:26

Brian,

You are right - I have to call init-pages or add-link explicitly in local-create-objects. That way I enforce link creation during initialization process, so it works withou clicking on second tab and I don't have to use workaround with reverse-direction link. That's OK.

BTW, UpdateBIC link was not created in the past - I created it now.

But still I have a problem, that if I never go to second tab (h_v-adr_2), values which were populated there by UpdateBIC procedure will not be saved, until I explicitly call RUN dispatch IN h_v-adr_2 (INPUT 'update-record':U) in the trigger of OK button in main dialog. And update-record does not ask standard  "Do you wish to save..." question. I have workaround for that - if it happens, I can put this question in my code before call to update-record, but I just want to understand why it goes this way.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 13-Jan-2016 09:43

Piotr,

I am not certain why that is happening, however, you can turn on 4GL Tracing and get a log file of what calls are being made so I would do that then run the app and manually switch to the second tab then analyze the resulting log file.

You could then do the same thing without manually switching to the second tab and compare the resulting logs.

It might give you just enough to figure out what you need to do.

The startup parameters to use are:

-clientlog some_file_name_goes_here

-logginglevel 3

-logentrytypes 4GLTrace

Sorry I don't remember much of ADM1 anymore.  I supported it for years but we only get a couple of calls per year on it.  Most ADM calls we get in support are for ADM2 which is very different from ADM1.

Brian

Posted by pgupta1974 on 13-Jan-2016 11:16

Did you try group-assign link? That should do it.

Regards,

Puneet Gupta
610-588-0965 ext. 2424

Posted by Piotr Ryszkiewicz on 14-Jan-2016 03:31

Hi Gupta,

Can you be more specific please ?

Regards,

Piotr

This thread is closed