Proparse

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 30-Oct-2015 11:36

Those of you who use Proparse, e.g., as a part of ProLint, may or may not be aware that Mike Fechner and Marian Edu extended the syntax which Proparse covers to include a number version 11.x features which were missing from the last regular version of Proparse.  This version can be found here:

github.com/.../proparse

More recently, John Green, the original developer of Proparse, has taken it upon himself to add some additional 11.x syntax support and fix a couple of interesting bugs.  You can find these versions here:

github.com/.../releases

I have been adding new features to ABL2DB using Proparse to get information I could not get in any other way and am very grateful for these additions and fixes since they help keep a valuable tool current.

If any of you encounter issues, I encourage you to report them on the Proparse forum on OE Hive. 

www.oehive.org/.../413

No one is getting paid to fix these things, but they certainly won't get fixed if they are not reported.

All Replies

Posted by Jean Richert on 02-Nov-2015 03:12

@Thomas, thanks for sharing.

Posted by rulesix on 02-Nov-2015 05:51

Thomas, which version would you recommend using?

Posted by James Palmer on 02-Nov-2015 05:58

Proparse version? Definitely build 1127. It's the latest build and there is no regression as far as I can see, but plenty of bug fixes and enhancements.

Posted by Marian Edu on 02-Nov-2015 06:17

just pick the most active project, since John got back and actively extend his project the proparse project on oehive account is the one to go with - github.com/.../proparse

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 02-Nov-2015 08:57

As rule going forward, I would say the latest version from whereever.  Currently that is github.com/.../releases .  It will have the most 11.x syntax and most bug fixes.  But, that isn't to say that Mike and Marian may not add things later.  Let's just hope they don't fork.

Posted by Grant Holman on 09-Nov-2015 08:42

Hello Thomas

Should I be downloading proparse.assemblies.zip or proparse.java.zip or both?

Thanks

Grant

Posted by Grant Holman on 09-Nov-2015 08:46

Ok, just checked eohive and looks like it's just proparse.assemblies.zip.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 09-Nov-2015 09:25

Assemblies is all you need for working with ABL.  The Java is irrelevant to that.  The source can be useful for figuring things out.

Note that there is a new release as of 4 days ago at github.com/.../releases

This thread is closed