OE10.2B RDBMS Database Backup with Encryption

Posted by Tai Li on 12-Oct-2015 04:39

Hi guys,

Without the Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) product installed, is there any form of simple/default encryption available for Workgroup/Enterprise RDBMS?

So far I've read on PKB and the community, it does not explicitly mention about not having any encryption except for getting the TDE. PROBKUP utility documentation did not state any relevant encryption switches (did I just answered my own question?).

Thank you.

Posted by Keith Sudbury on 12-Oct-2015 06:40

There is no automatic encryption in OpenEdge without TDE installed. If you are trying to satisfy a basic audit requirement there are quite a few non OpenEdge options to encrypt data at the disk or file system level with varying levels of performance reduction/

Or you can try and handle it within the code itself. I don't recommend this approach if you can avoid it. Prone to errors, index usage can be problematic at best and you are on your own if data becomes corrupted.

TDE really is a thing of beauty and woth every penny if you actually care about reliable encryption with extremely low overhead. Nothing quite like encrypting selected tables and indexes without changing a line of code.

All Replies

Posted by Garry Hall on 12-Oct-2015 06:31

You might get a more authoritative answer from the Deployment forum, but I believe OE did not offer any automatic on-disk db encryption before TDE. Any encryption would have to be done by the application.

Posted by Keith Sudbury on 12-Oct-2015 06:40

There is no automatic encryption in OpenEdge without TDE installed. If you are trying to satisfy a basic audit requirement there are quite a few non OpenEdge options to encrypt data at the disk or file system level with varying levels of performance reduction/

Or you can try and handle it within the code itself. I don't recommend this approach if you can avoid it. Prone to errors, index usage can be problematic at best and you are on your own if data becomes corrupted.

TDE really is a thing of beauty and woth every penny if you actually care about reliable encryption with extremely low overhead. Nothing quite like encrypting selected tables and indexes without changing a line of code.

Posted by James Palmer on 12-Oct-2015 06:47

Progress has recently released a new product Advanced Enterprise Edition RDBMS. You get all the benefits of Enterprise RDBMS plus Transparent Data Encryption, Multi-tenant Tables, Table Partitioning, Replication Plus, and OpenEdge Management for a fraction of the cost of the additional products.

documentation.progress.com/.../index.html

Posted by Tai Li on 12-Oct-2015 22:04

Thanks all!

This thread is closed