OE 11.5.1 Year 2015 and the debugger (external) still can

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 05-Oct-2015 09:34

Is it a (too) big wish to have a better resizing and sorting possibilities (variables)?
Or is everybody using the second internal debugger?

O.k., the debugger is better than nothing but resizing shouldn't be a big thing with Java too.

All Replies

Posted by Matt Gilarde on 05-Oct-2015 09:56

We're no longer modifying the ABL Debugger except to fix critical bugs and keep it current with changes to the language. Our focus in on the debugger in Progress Developer Studio.

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 05-Oct-2015 09:59

O.k., how I can attach the internal debugger from PDS to a running process (remote debugging)?

Posted by Riverside Software on 05-Oct-2015 13:58

Start the AVM with -debugReady, then create new "Progress External OpenEdge AVM" in the Debug Configurations window

Posted by Simon L. Prinsloo on 05-Oct-2015 23:54

But the new debugger does not allow you to sort it either and even though it has an editor box to show the value of the currently selected variable, it does not wrap....

And on the old debugger you can easily inspect the properties and fields of handle based objects and temp-tables. Not so much in the new one....

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 06-Oct-2015 02:15

I think adding some easy things like sorting and better control flow/resizing control in the old debugger could me made by a trainee if they use something like swing. Currently I needed to inspect handles - the "new" one does not have the ability? Currently I have no access - only OE Studio.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 06-Oct-2015 03:07

I'm not saying that the PDSOE integrated debugger is perfect. But inspecting properties of a HANDLE or fields of a BUFFER are no problem to me.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 06-Oct-2015 03:13

That was 11.5.1.003 by the way. But if I recall correctly those features were available since a while

This thread is closed