Books about OOABL for beginners

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 25-Sep-2015 04:30

Hello,

I am looking for a book about OOABL for beginners, not from official documentations.

I remember was an excellent book from John Campbell - "Making Good Progress" (1997)

Is there something similar but modern?

All Replies

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 29-Sep-2015 09:28

I think you best start with books that explain the basic OO concepts and principles in a generic (not language specific) way (although most will target some language, most likely Java) and then move on to language specific books, for example those written for C# where OpenEdge has borrowed quite a few features of (properties, events), so most of the C# code examples can easily be converted to OOABL...

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 29-Sep-2015 11:19

Obviously, it would be nice to have a book with examples in the target language, but with an ABL focus, that is going to be *extremely* limiting.  To me, the important part about learning OO is to get the concepts.  If you get the concepts, you can map them on to any target language.  But, if one works from examples, it is all too easy to just cut and paste from rote and not get the ideas underneath.   The best book on OO concepts I have encountered is Lahman's http://cintegrity.com/Lahman

Posted by agent_008_nl on 29-Sep-2015 12:32

Take a look at autoedge the factory. Download the code, try getting it to work. It's by far the best oo abl code I saw, you can learn a lot from it combined with the documentation.

Besides I have my doubts about oo (abl), but you will have noticed that. 

This thread is closed