KB article: The value of a shared variable changed by a WAIT

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 07-Sep-2015 07:18

http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/000062069?popup=true

Do I understand this KB correct that OE is changing variable data in memory by itself?

All Replies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 07-Sep-2015 07:22

"There is a bug and the AVM is writing the value returned by ShowDialog in the wrong location, which happens to be the same place that g_LongDateFormat is stored"

I guess you got it right. Whoever ran into that error should request a hotfix.

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 09-Sep-2015 10:01

We reported this bug.

Apparently the wrong memory location (i.e. the location of a shared variable) was overwritten instead of the DialogResult of a .net WAIT-FOR ShowDialog().

The variable contained garbage, but we only noticed it when it was actually being used elsewhere, so it took quite some time to figure out what was going wrong and how to get a reproducible scenario...

We've got a hotfix on 11.3.3, which is what our customers are currently using in production.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 09-Sep-2015 10:07

Interestingly, 11.3.3 is not mentioned in the K-Base article J

Can you share the hotfix no with us, so that we know, what we should request from tech support? Thx!!!
Von: Lieven De Foor [mailto:bounce-lievendefoormipsbe@community.progress.com]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 9. September 2015 17:03
An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Betreff: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] KB article: The value of a shared variable changed by a WAIT-FOR statement

Reply by Lieven De Foor

We reported this bug.

Apparently the wrong memory location (i.e. the location of a shared variable) was overwritten instead of the DialogResult of a .net WAIT-FOR ShowDialog().

The variable contained garbage, but we only noticed it when it was actually being used elsewhere, so it took quite some time to figure out what was going wrong and how to get a reproducible scenario...

We've got a hotfix on 11.3.3, which is what our customers are currently using in production.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 10-Sep-2015 06:43

Hotfix 16 (11.3.3.016)

Posted by Roberta Miller on 10-Sep-2015 09:00

11.3.3 has been added to the list of affected versions in the Environment field of article 000062069. Thanks to Mike for pointing out the omission.

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 11-Sep-2015 04:10

I'm pretty sure the bug existed in earlier versions as 11.3.2 too, as we've seen issues with ShowDialog() already a couple of years ago...

We thought we had a workaround which seemed fine at first (which is why we didn't immediately report this to Progress, also because we couldn't consistently reproduce it), but which now turned out to be insufficient.

This thread is closed