What tools are you using today to develop a Web UI?

Posted by Rom Elwell on 14-Jul-2015 08:33

I'm curious to know what development environments are currently being used to create a Web UI with a Progress (OpenEdge) backend.  We are aware that the Visual Designer for Progress Developer Studio for OpenEdge (PDSOE) only supports WinForm development, thus, Web development must be occurring in other manners.  

Visual Studio with Web control libraries?  

Raw HTML/CSS editing in Notepad++ (or some other editor)?

Other?

Thanks for sharing.  

All Replies

Posted by Frank Meulblok on 14-Jul-2015 09:36

I don't do much Web UI work, but what about the Eclipse Web Tools Platform (https://eclipse.org/webtools/) ?

In OE 11.5 the Eclipse shipped for PDS:OE includes at least part of those already (mostly for WebSpeed work).

Otherwise, other Eclipse-based tools should be easy enough to integrate with the PDS:OE environment as well, especially if  you're using OE 11.2+ (for the Faceted Project support), and the tool of choice also supports the Faceted Projects.

Posted by agent_008_nl on 14-Jul-2015 11:26

On the editor: I'm using atom (see google) for editing js. For the rest: maybe you can help Bill Wood with the new web ui designer, as participator in the css project? ;-)

Posted by ChUIMonster on 14-Jul-2015 12:56

microemacs

--
Tom Bascom
603 547 9043 (office)
603 396 4886 (cell)
tom@wss.com

Posted by gus on 14-Jul-2015 13:08

> microemacs

on VMS ?

Posted by agent_008_nl on 14-Jul-2015 13:25

Why not bvi plus? inconsolation.files.wordpress.com/.../2013-01-11-solo-2150-bviplus-01.png

You can create blazing fast websites with this editor. ;-)

Posted by Marian Edu on 14-Jul-2015 13:43

some of the available mockup builders can prove useful, the mobile app builder was one in the beginning but moved from gotigger.com to tiggzi and now appery.io :)

Posted by agent_008_nl on 14-Jul-2015 13:58

My idea. Just open the waste container, put some old garbage together, polish it and you can sell it as brandnew. Good for the environment also.

Posted by rayherring on 14-Jul-2015 18:41

We use ps:escript v1.90 at work, so I'm pretty much tied to the AppBuilder for all my web-ui stuff.

AppBuilder is set in 'remote' mode (the little spiderweb button that it has), and in the 'Tools' menu I have 'ps:escript Explorer' and 'ps:escript Editor'.

Wish I could move up to better tools as the AppBuilder can be a PITA on occasions, but alas, the developer studio doesn't support everything I need, so yeah, AppBuilder is what I use.

Posted by bronco on 15-Jul-2015 02:20

I use WebStorm for my web development, which is primarily AngularJS btw.

Posted by agent_008_nl on 15-Jul-2015 03:43

Bronky boy, I'm not interested in your activities at all.

Posted by bronco on 15-Jul-2015 04:14

Gee, based on your recent posts I was thought that ranting on Angular was your hobby.

Btw, you can call me Bronco. Friends are allowed to call me anything other than that.

Posted by agent_008_nl on 15-Jul-2015 04:23

You started the quarrel, Bronky.

Posted by James Palmer on 15-Jul-2015 04:27

Alright chaps... let's not get off topic! :)

Posted by j.kattestaart on 15-Jul-2015 04:47

Visual Studio MVC with Typescript

Atom for javascript and ES6 (javascript 2015)

Visual studio is better with typescript, Atom is better with ES6

Posted by agent_008_nl on 15-Jul-2015 05:09

Some informative links:

www.johnpapa.net/web-dev-with-editors-and-ides

vschart.com/.../webstorm

Find more with google.

But what are you looking for? Is it more a gui designer (wysiwyg) and what should the output be (json, xml, html), a javascript editor or? Or just a walk through the market to see what is on the tables?

Posted by Rom Elwell on 15-Jul-2015 06:48

Yes, clarification would help.  Forgive me.  To be succinct, I was simply wanting to 'walk through the market to see what is on the tables' as it relates to other Progress development shops and the Web tools they work with currently.  I come into this discussion as a web dev neophyte and felt it prudent to query the Community as a means to give me some focus as I begin my own education.  But do not be mistaken, this is more than an academic exercise.  It is my hope that this discussion aids our team in finding a pragmatic solution for our upcoming 'modernization' project.

Posted by agent_008_nl on 15-Jul-2015 11:32

Your question was ok, I was only wondering. Maybe you can learn more when you ask in groups outside progress communities, with a much broader audience. For example softwarerecs.stackexchange.com. It's like your childhood passing, at some time you have to leave your trusted family, go out in the unknown and grow up. After you learned to live your own life your relation to your family changes, you're no more dependent. Father's advise is not always the best.

Posted by Rom Elwell on 15-Jul-2015 11:38

[quote user="agent_008_nl"]

Your question was ok, I was only wondering. Maybe you can learn more when you ask in groups outside progress communities, with a much broader audience. For example softwarerecs.stackexchange.com. It's like your childhood passing, at some time you have to leave your trusted family, go out in the unknown and grow up. After you learned to live your own life your relation to your family changes, you're no more dependent. Father's advise is not always the best.[/quote]

Spot on. Spot on...

This thread is closed