Collective Noun

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 06-Jul-2015 09:06

Browse, Buffer, Dataset, Frame, Menu, Query, Stream, Temp-Table, Variable, and Work-Table are all things which can be defined as shared.

I have a table which has common information for all shared things.

What collective noun would you use for this set?

All Replies

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 06-Jul-2015 09:09

SharedElement?

--
Tim Kuehn: Senior Consultant - TDK Consulting Services
President - Ontario PUG

Skype: timothy.kuehn
Ph: 519-576-8100
Cell: 519-781-0081

Posted by Peter Judge on 06-Jul-2015 09:11

ProspectivePainPoint? :)

[collapse]

--
Tim Kuehn: Senior Consultant - TDK Consulting Services
President - Ontario PUG
Program Committee Chair - PUG Challenge Americas,
Course Instructor: Intro to OO Concepts for Procedural Programmers

Skype: timothy.kuehn
Ph: 519-576-8100
Cell: 519-781-0081

Posted by James Palmer on 06-Jul-2015 09:18

Element is a good shout. There's also the wonderfully generic "widget".

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 06-Jul-2015 09:25

SharedThings obviously...

Posted by Mike Fechner on 06-Jul-2015 09:26

PotentialWayToDoom?

SharableElement?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 06-Jul-2015 09:28

I suppose there are three points I should add.

1. "Shared" includes PUBLIC and PROTECTED since they both make something available outside the compile unit.

2. "Variable" includes PROPERTY ... and, yes, one can tell the difference.

3. Most significantly, I am in the process of adding information on all of these "things" to ABL2DB, whether shared or not.  While there is no corresponding table that needs a name, the same name would apply to the process which collects these "things".

Element is doesn't have the connotations of Object, which I had been using, but also doesn't seem to have the right feel.

Widget seems to have a specific meaning which does not correspond to some of these "things".

Posted by James Palmer on 06-Jul-2015 09:28

You lot are so pessimistic. Some more suggestions:

Liability

CarCrash

Posted by ChUIMonster on 06-Jul-2015 09:34

Quagmire, morass, misery, ruin, PitOfDespair, RoadToHell...

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 06-Jul-2015 09:36

I'd submit "Element" since these shared components are all language
elements. If the varies entities are defined in other places in the
system, then how about

SharedScope

and use it to track pointers to the part of the system which holds the
entity's information.

--
Tim Kuehn: Senior Consultant - TDK Consulting Services
President - Ontario PUG
Program Committee Chair - PUG Challenge Americas,
Course Instructor: Intro to OO Concepts for Procedural Programmers

Skype: timothy.kuehn
Ph: 519-576-8100
Cell: 519-781-0081

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 06-Jul-2015 09:56

For the ones that are shared, my data structure is

CompileUnit<-SharedObject<-SharedVariable->Variable

for non-shared and shared alike, it is

CompileUnit<-Block<-ScopedVariable->Variable.

So, what I am trying to name here is the table currently called SharedObject and the Class which is used to create these structures which has been BuildShared, but now will also be doing the build for non-shared.

Posted by James Palmer on 06-Jul-2015 10:03

Structure?

Posted by Peter Judge on 06-Jul-2015 10:05

I'd be careful of using 'shared' to include those. 'Shared' has a specific meaning in ABL to most (all?) programmers.

[collapse]
I suppose there are three points I should add.

1. "Shared" includes PUBLIC and PROTECTED since they both make something available outside the compile unit.

2. "Variable" includes PROPERTY ... and, yes, one can tell the difference.

3. Most significantly, I am in the process of adding information on all of these "things" to ABL2DB, whether shared or not.  While there is no corresponding table that needs a name, the same name would apply to the process which collects these "things".

Element is doesn't have the connotations of Object, which I had been using, but also doesn't seem to have the right feel.

Widget seems to have a specific meaning which does not correspond to some of these "things".

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 06-Jul-2015 10:10

What he said....

--
Tim Kuehn: Senior Consultant - TDK Consulting Services
President - Ontario PUG
Program Committee Chair - PUG Challenge Americas,
Course Instructor: Intro to OO Concepts for Procedural Programmers

Skype: timothy.kuehn
Ph: 519-576-8100
Cell: 519-781-0081[/collapse]

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 06-Jul-2015 10:14

Structs are something I wish we had.

All the variants of shared are clearly distinguished and I see little potential for confusion since, remember that these are all relevant to the compile unit, so one starts off knowing whether it is a class or not.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 06-Jul-2015 10:15

If one were not going to call it SharedObject or SharedElement, what would one call it?  Public seems to have connotations in the other direction.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 06-Jul-2015 10:17

PUBLIC and PROTECTED should go somewhere else and be differentiated
from old SHARED variables.

--
Tim Kuehn: Senior Consultant - TDK Consulting Services
President - Ontario PUG
Program Committee Chair - PUG Challenge Americas,
Course Instructor: Intro to OO Concepts for Procedural Programmers

Skype: timothy.kuehn
Ph: 519-576-8100
Cell: 519-781-0081

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 06-Jul-2015 10:24

Why?  What properties do they have that would require a separate table, non-overlapping with shared?

FWIW, Proparse thinks in terms of imported and exported.   Shared is imported; new shared is exported.

Posted by ske on 06-Jul-2015 10:41

SharedDeclaration?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 06-Jul-2015 10:48

Declaration is interesting .... fwiw, one of the "discoveries" in the process of working on this is that not everything comes into existence through a DEFINE.   Parameters are an example of an implied definition.

This thread is closed