Error during openedge tooling issue - crashes eclipse

Posted by Darren Parr on 29-Jun-2015 11:49

Hi

I have a developer who has just upgraded their eclipse environment from 11.3 to 11.5.1. We have eclipse coming up and then we see a permissions error on screen during which eclipse is saying "initializing openedge tooling". The permissions error is error number 354.

It says Unable to open or create lbia09876 error 2 (354)

Its clear that eclipse is running another java process which seems to be running progress to do the tooling. Whats bizarre is that I can't see the task in task manager. All I can see is the Project AVM and this is fine as I see it come up and connect to dbs in the console.

I've checked the project references for the project and it all now says 11.5. The temp folder did say 11.3 but we've since sorted that issue. I don't want to trash the users workspace as the setup needed is going to be massive. Any ideas how to we might get this working.

Thanks

Darren

All Replies

Posted by Matt Baker on 29-Jun-2015 11:56

lbi files are “local bi files”  They are created/managed by the progress AVM, not eclipse.  That is a progress error message (given the number at the end of it). 

The tooling which is basically and r-code scan to find class files and internal procedure structure is done on a background thread, its not part of a separate process.

Check your –T setting (in project properties) and verify that the directory it points to exists.

[collapse]
From: Darren Parr [mailto:bounce-DarrenP@community.progress.com]
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2015 12:50 PM
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - OE Development] Error during openedge tooling issue - crashes eclipse

Thread created by Darren Parr

Hi

I have a developer who has just upgraded their eclipse environment from 11.3 to 11.5.1. We have eclipse coming up and then we see a permissions error on screen during which eclipse is saying "initializing openedge tooling". The permissions error in error number 354.

It says Unable to open or create lbia09876 error 2 (354)

Its clear that eclipse is running another java process which seems to be running progress to do the tooling. Whats bizarre is that I can see the task in the task manager. All I can see is the Project AVM and this is fine as I see it come up and connect to dbs in the console.

I've checked the project references for the project and it all now says 11.5. The temp folder did say 11.3 but we've since sorted that issue. I don't want to trash the users workspace as the setup needed is going to be massive. Any ideas how to we might get this working.

Thanks

Darren

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 29-Jun-2015 12:00

I was just going to say ... sounds like a permissions or existence problem.

Posted by James Palmer on 29-Jun-2015 17:51

Assume you're running on Windows? Is PDSOE being run with elevated permissions?

Posted by Darren Parr on 30-Jun-2015 02:26

The project properties did say temp was c:\dlc113tmp. I've since changed it in the project to the correct temp directory. What's strange is that I can leave the error message up and work with eclipse etc. So I can see the temp is set correctly when we go back in.

It seems the background thread which does the tooling is running progress with what looks like an incorrect pf or temp setting. Anyone know where the environment is stored for this bit of eclipse?

-Darren

Posted by James Palmer on 30-Jun-2015 03:35

Can’t say for certain, but is it using startup.pf in the $DLC directory?

James PalmerApplication Developer
Tel: 01253 785103 | Fax: 01253 785001 | Web: www.inenco.com | Twitter : @inenco

[collapse]
From: Darren Parr [mailto:bounce-DarrenP@community.progress.com]
Sent: 30 June 2015 08:27
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] Error during openedge tooling issue - crashes eclipse

Reply by Darren Parr

The project properties did say temp was c:\dlc113tmp. I've since changed it in the project to the correct temp directory. What's strange is that I can leave the error message up and work with eclipse etc. So I can see the temp is set correctly when we go back in.

It seems the background thread which does the tooling is running progress with what looks like an incorrect pf or temp setting. Anyone know where the environment is stored for this bit of eclipse?

-Darren

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

This email has been scanned for email related threats and delivered safely by Mimecast.
For more information please visit http://www.mimecast.com
[/collapse]

Posted by Darren Parr on 05-Jul-2015 06:34

Hi

Thanks your all of your help. I did manage to solve this. It tunrs out that we had a very strange permissions issue. We ended up taking ownership of everything and granting the local user full control to get around this.

An example of the issue was as follows....

Running up the "GUI Procedure Editor" from the start menu resulted in the same issue. I found that creating a new shortcut that was the same was OK. Very bizarre.

We have managed to get around it for now. I think a rebuild of the machine will help later on.

-Darren

This thread is closed