Working with ProBindingSource Designer and the SERIALIZE-HID

Posted by Rom Elwell on 25-Jun-2015 07:52

OE 11.5
Windows 7 (64-bit)
Telerik WinForm Control library

When I drag/drop the data defintion for a data-set (dsEmployee example can be found below) on an ABL Form, the ProBindingSource Designer is displayed, as expected. The issue is that not all of the fields in the associated temp-table definition (ttEmployee example found below) are displayed in the Designer. Specifically, the Designer shows all field definitions upto the first occurance of the attribute 'SERIALIZE-HIDDEN'. All subsequent field definitions that occur after this attribute are not displayed in the ProBindingSource Designer. I can move a field with the SERIALIZE-HIDDEN attribute to any location in the temp-table definition and all subsequent fields are not displayed in the Designer.

Has anyone else run into this behavior when using the ProBindingSource with field definitions that contain this attribute?

&IF DEFINED (dsEmployee_I) = 0 &THEN 
 {ttEmployee.i}
 DEFINE DATASET dsEmployee SERIALIZE-NAME 'EmployeeDataset' FOR ttEmployee.
 &GLOBAL-DEFINE dsEmployee_I
&ENDIF

&IF DEFINED (ttEmployee_I) = 0 &THEN
{ttEmployeeStage1.i}
{ttEmployeeStage2.i}
{ttDepartment.i}
 DEFINE TEMP-TABLE ttEmployee  NO-UNDO SERIALIZE-NAME 'EmployeeFields' BEFORE-TABLE before-ttEmployee
    FIELD empid             LIKE ttEmployeeStage1.empid             COLUMN-LABEL "EmpID"
    FIELD emp_first_name    LIKE ttEmployeeStage1.emp_first_name    COLUMN-LABEL "FirstName"
    FIELD emp_last_name     LIKE ttEmployeeStage1.emp_last_name     COLUMN-LABEL "LastName"
    FIELD emp_status        LIKE ttEmployeeStage2.emp_status        COLUMN-LABEL "Status"
    FIELD emp_s_date        LIKE ttEmployeeStage2.emp_s_date        COLUMN-LABEL "EmpHireDate" 
    FIELD emp_e_date        LIKE ttEmployeeStage2.emp_e_date        COLUMN-LABEL "EmpTermDate"
    FIELD emp_type_string   LIKE ttEmployeeStage2.emp_type_string   COLUMN-LABEL "Type" SERIALIZE-HIDDEN
    FIELD dept_no           LIKE ttDepartment.dept_no               COLUMN-LABEL "DepartmentNumber"
    FIELD dept_name         LIKE ttDepartment.dept_name             COLUMN-LABEL "DepartmentName"
    FIELD import_status     AS CHARACTER SERIALIZE-HIDDEN  INIT ""
    FIELD labelCount        AS INT INIT 0 SERIALIZE-HIDDEN.
&GLOBAL-DEFINE ttEmployee_I
&ENDIF

Posted by Ken McIntosh on 29-Jun-2015 07:35

Logged defect# PSC00335494 for this issue.

The bindingsource designer only needs the basic schema information from the file that is dragged/dropped onto the Form.  

To work around this issue, maintain separate copies of the file that defines the temp-table/dataset.  

- Copy 1 for the bindingSource designer without the SERIALIZE-HIDDEN attribute.

- Copy 2 to use for the actual definition of the temp-table/dataset.

All Replies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 25-Jun-2015 11:02

There is a very similar issue with a mobile project and the catalog file generation. All fields in the TT include file following one with serialize hidden are not contained in the catalog.

Von meinem Windows Phone gesendet

Von: Rom Elwell
Gesendet: ‎25.‎06.‎2015 14:53
An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Betreff: [Technical Users - OE Development] Working with ProBindingSource Designer and the SERIALIZE-HIDDEN field attribute?

Thread created by Rom Elwell

OE 11.5
Windows 7 (64-bit)

When I drag/drop the data defintion for a data-set (dsEmployee example can be found below) on an ABL Form, the ProBindingSource Designer is displayed, as expected. The issue is that not all of the fields in the associated temp-table definition (ttEmployee example found below) are displayed in the Designer. Specifically, the Designer shows all field definitions upto the first occurance of the attribute 'SERIALIZE-HIDDEN'. All subsequent field definitions that occur after this attribute are not displayed in the ProBindingSource Designer. I can move a field with the SERIALIZE-HIDDEN attribute to any location in the temp-table definition and all subsequent fields are not displayed in the Designer.

Has anyone else run into this behavior when using the ProBindingSource with field definitions that contain this attribute?

{ttEmployee.i}
&ENDIF

{ttEmployeeStage1.i}
{ttEmployeeStage2.i}
{ttDepartment.i}
 DEFINE TEMP-TABLE ttEmployee  NO-UNDO SERIALIZE-NAME 'EmployeeFields' BEFORE-TABLE before-ttEmployee
    FIELD empid             LIKE ttEmployeeStage1.empid             COLUMN-LABEL "EmpID"
    FIELD emp_first_name    LIKE ttEmployeeStage1.emp_first_name    COLUMN-LABEL "FirstName"
    FIELD emp_last_name     LIKE ttEmployeeStage1.emp_last_name     COLUMN-LABEL "LastName"
    FIELD emp_status        LIKE ttEmployeeStage2.emp_status        COLUMN-LABEL "Status"
    FIELD emp_s_date        LIKE ttEmployeeStage2.emp_s_date        COLUMN-LABEL "EmpHireDate" 
    FIELD emp_e_date        LIKE ttEmployeeStage2.emp_e_date        COLUMN-LABEL "EmpTermDate"
    FIELD emp_type_string   LIKE ttEmployeeStage2.emp_type_string   COLUMN-LABEL "Type" SERIALIZE-HIDDEN
    FIELD dept_no           LIKE ttDepartment.dept_no               COLUMN-LABEL "DepartmentNumber"
    FIELD dept_name         LIKE ttDepartment.dept_name             COLUMN-LABEL "DepartmentName"
    FIELD import_status     AS CHARACTER SERIALIZE-HIDDEN  INIT ""
    FIELD labelCount        AS INT INIT 0 SERIALIZE-HIDDEN.
&ENDIF

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by Rom Elwell on 25-Jun-2015 11:06

Thank you Mike for this information.  Do you know if either issue has been cataloged as a defect by Progress? If so, I’d like to follow identifier so I can better understand when this issue is addressed.

[collapse]
From: Mike Fechner [mailto:bounce-mikefechner@community.progress.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2015 12:03 PM
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - OE Development] AW: Working with ProBindingSource Designer and the SERIALIZE-HIDDEN field attribute?

Reply by Mike Fechner
There is a very similar issue with a mobile project and the catalog file generation. All fields in the TT include file following one with serialize hidden are not contained in the catalog.

Betreff: [Technical Users - OE Development] Working with ProBindingSource Designer and the SERIALIZE-HIDDEN field attribute?

OE 11.5
Windows 7 (64-bit)

{ttEmployee.i}
&ENDIF

{ttEmployeeStage1.i}
{ttEmployeeStage2.i}
{ttDepartment.i}
 DEFINE TEMP-TABLE ttEmployee  NO-UNDO SERIALIZE-NAME 'EmployeeFields' BEFORE-TABLE before-ttEmployee
    FIELD empid             LIKE ttEmployeeStage1.empid             COLUMN-LABEL "EmpID"
    FIELD emp_first_name    LIKE ttEmployeeStage1.emp_first_name    COLUMN-LABEL "FirstName"
    FIELD emp_last_name     LIKE ttEmployeeStage1.emp_last_name     COLUMN-LABEL "LastName"
    FIELD emp_status        LIKE ttEmployeeStage2.emp_status        COLUMN-LABEL "Status"
    FIELD emp_s_date        LIKE ttEmployeeStage2.emp_s_date        COLUMN-LABEL "EmpHireDate" 
    FIELD emp_e_date        LIKE ttEmployeeStage2.emp_e_date        COLUMN-LABEL "EmpTermDate"
    FIELD emp_type_string   LIKE ttEmployeeStage2.emp_type_string   COLUMN-LABEL "Type" SERIALIZE-HIDDEN
    FIELD dept_no           LIKE ttDepartment.dept_no               COLUMN-LABEL "DepartmentNumber"
    FIELD dept_name         LIKE ttDepartment.dept_name             COLUMN-LABEL "DepartmentName"
    FIELD import_status     AS CHARACTER SERIALIZE-HIDDEN  INIT ""
    FIELD labelCount        AS INT INIT 0 SERIALIZE-HIDDEN.
&ENDIF

[/collapse]

Posted by Mike Fechner on 25-Jun-2015 12:06

No. I must admit that I  did not follup up on this as we have our own JSDO catalog generation routine and extensions to the ProBindingSource.

Gesendet: ‎25.‎06.‎2015 18:07
Betreff: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] AW: Working with ProBindingSource Designer and the SERIALIZE-HIDDEN field attribute?

Reply by Rom Elwell
Thank you Mike for this information.  Do you know if either issue has been cataloged as a defect by Progress? If so, I’d like to follow identifier so I can better understand when this issue is addressed.

Rom Elwell

1.616.785.0745 x122

[collapse]
From: Mike Fechner [mailto:bounce-mikefechner@community.progress.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2015 12:03 PM
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - OE Development] AW: Working with ProBindingSource Designer and the SERIALIZE-HIDDEN field attribute?

Reply by Mike Fechner

[collapse]

OE 11.5
Windows 7 (64-bit)

{ttEmployee.i}
&ENDIF

{ttEmployeeStage1.i}
{ttEmployeeStage2.i}
{ttDepartment.i}
 DEFINE TEMP-TABLE ttEmployee  NO-UNDO SERIALIZE-NAME 'EmployeeFields' BEFORE-TABLE before-ttEmployee
    FIELD empid             LIKE ttEmployeeStage1.empid             COLUMN-LABEL "EmpID"
    FIELD emp_first_name    LIKE ttEmployeeStage1.emp_first_name    COLUMN-LABEL "FirstName"
    FIELD emp_last_name     LIKE ttEmployeeStage1.emp_last_name     COLUMN-LABEL "LastName"
    FIELD emp_status        LIKE ttEmployeeStage2.emp_status        COLUMN-LABEL "Status"
    FIELD emp_s_date        LIKE ttEmployeeStage2.emp_s_date        COLUMN-LABEL "EmpHireDate" 
    FIELD emp_e_date        LIKE ttEmployeeStage2.emp_e_date        COLUMN-LABEL "EmpTermDate"
    FIELD emp_type_string   LIKE ttEmployeeStage2.emp_type_string   COLUMN-LABEL "Type" SERIALIZE-HIDDEN
    FIELD dept_no           LIKE ttDepartment.dept_no               COLUMN-LABEL "DepartmentNumber"
    FIELD dept_name         LIKE ttDepartment.dept_name             COLUMN-LABEL "DepartmentName"
    FIELD import_status     AS CHARACTER SERIALIZE-HIDDEN  INIT ""
    FIELD labelCount        AS INT INIT 0 SERIALIZE-HIDDEN.
&ENDIF

This email and any attached files are confidential and intended solely for the intended recipient(s). If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copy of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and destroy the [collapse]original message. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Although precautions have been taken to make sure no viruses are present in this email, cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage that arise from the use of this email or attachments.

[/collapse][/collapse][/collapse]

Posted by Ken McIntosh on 29-Jun-2015 07:35

Logged defect# PSC00335494 for this issue.

The bindingsource designer only needs the basic schema information from the file that is dragged/dropped onto the Form.  

To work around this issue, maintain separate copies of the file that defines the temp-table/dataset.  

- Copy 1 for the bindingSource designer without the SERIALIZE-HIDDEN attribute.

- Copy 2 to use for the actual definition of the temp-table/dataset.

This thread is closed