Determine which assemblies are referenced by r-code

Posted by Simon L. Prinsloo on 22-Jun-2015 08:23

Good day

Does anybody know of an easy way in 11.5 to find out which assemblies are referenced by a particular program?

I hoped for an attribute or a method on the RCODE-INFO system handle, but it seems like I am out of luck.

Regards

Simon

Posted by Simon L. Prinsloo on 02-Jul-2015 02:12

Just to conclude this thread:

There is no programmatic way to determine a program's dependencies (neither assemblies nor classes referenced by it).

The only solution seems to parse the source of the entire inheritance tree, list everything exposes by the USING statements, and then

a) Determine which items in the list are used in variable, property and parameter definitions.

b) Determine which items in the list are used in TYPE-OF(), CAST() and GET-CLASS() functions.

c) Determine which fully qualified type names are referenced in the above constructs.

All Replies

Posted by James Palmer on 22-Jun-2015 08:29

Run it and see where it falls over?

/sarcasm

Seriously though, good question!

Posted by Mike Fechner on 22-Jun-2015 08:34

Without any sarcasm, the way to manage this is a controlled build environment under 100% SCM control and scripted build processes…

Not 11.5 … but to my knowledge still valid:

Is you are not able to control your build environment, looking at the r-code (close to EOF) in a text editor is your only option.

Mike
Von: Simon L. Prinsloo [mailto:bounce-simonvidisolvecom@community.progress.com]
Gesendet: Montag, 22. Juni 2015 15:24
An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Betreff: [Technical Users - OE Development] Determine which assemblies are referenced by r-code

Thread created by Simon L. Prinsloo

Good day

Does anybody know of an easy way in 11.5 to find out which assemblies are referenced by a particular program?

I hoped for an attribute or a method on the RCODE-INFO system handle, but it seems like I am out of luck.

Regards

Simon

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by Matt Baker on 22-Jun-2015 08:39

If you only need one or two, just open the r-code file in a text editor and browse through the first section of the file where they are listed as plain text.

[collapse]
From: Simon L. Prinsloo [mailto:bounce-simonvidisolvecom@community.progress.com]
Sent: Monday, June 22, 2015 9:24 AM
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - OE Development] Determine which assemblies are referenced by r-code

Thread created by Simon L. Prinsloo

Good day

Regards

Simon

[/collapse]

Posted by Garry Hall on 22-Jun-2015 08:39

I don't believe the AVM publicly exposes these. Sounds like a reasonable enhancement request. As Mike suggests, you could take a look at the text strings in the r-code, but this is unsupported and subject to change without notice.

Posted by Simon L. Prinsloo on 22-Jun-2015 09:02

I disagree that control over the build environment will solve the entire problem, because it is in exactly that type of environment where I look to incorporate this.

My concern is with assemblies that are used and shipped with the product at one time or another, but become redundant over time.

For instance, if somebody used a third-party assembly to consume REST based AppServices and later switch to 11.5, they can now consume these services directly. The existing code can stay active for years, but as developers encounter it they may remove it, without any deliberate effort to completely remove the assembly from the source base. Eventually all of it may be removed and the assembly will become redundant, but nobody will be sure off hand if that state has been reached.

This is where I want the continuous build process to warn me that I have an unused assembly reference in assemblies.xml. When I get the report, I can take proper steps to remove the assembly not only from assemblies.xml, but also from the list of files that must be included in a deployment.

The only alternative I can find this far is to remove lines from the assemblies.xml and recompile the entire source base to see if something fails, which is not a particularly attractive way of doing things and it is hardly the type of dirty process that I would want to automate.

Another use of this would be in configuration management, e.g. when you selectively ship modules based on a user's license. Some assembly may fall into disuse in a module that is the only module that user A had, referencing that assembly, but user B also have a different module referencing it. Now I need to go through the above exercise for every possible deployment permutation, while I would prefer to be able to build once and create the various permutations automatically by tailoring the assemblies.xml and files to ship as part of the build process.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 22-Jun-2015 09:11

If you remove that potentially redundant assembly  from the controlled build scenario and still everything compiles , you are pretty safe to remove that dll

Von meinem Windows Phone gesendet

Von: Simon L. Prinsloo
Gesendet: ‎22.‎06.‎2015 16:02
Betreff: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] Determine which assemblies are referenced by r-code

Reply by Simon L. Prinsloo

I disagree that control over the build environment will solve the entire problem, because it is in exactly that type of environment where I look to incorporate this.

My concern is with assemblies that are used and shipped with the product at one time or another, but become redundant over time.

For instance, if somebody used a third-party assembly to consume REST based AppServices and later switch to 11.5, they can now consume these services directly. The existing code can stay active for years, but as developers encounter it they may remove it, without any deliberate effort to completely remove the assembly from the source base. Eventually all of it may be removed and the assembly will become redundant, but nobody will be sure off hand if that state has been reached.

This is where I want the continuous build process to warn me that I have an unused assembly reference in assemblies.xml. When I get the report, I can take proper steps to remove the assembly not only from assemblies.xml, but also from the list of files that must be included in a deployment.

The only alternative I can find this far is to remove lines from the assemblies.xml and recompile the entire source base to see if something fails, which is not a particularly attractive way of doing things and it is hardly the type of dirty process that I would want to automate.

Another use of this would be in configuration management, e.g. when you selectively ship modules based on a user's license. Some assembly may fall into disuse in a module that is the only module that user A had, referencing that assembly, but user B also have a different module referencing it. Now I need to go through the above exercise for every possible deployment permutation, while I would prefer to be able to build once and create the various permutations automatically by tailoring the assemblies.xml and files to ship as part of the build process.

Posted by Simon L. Prinsloo on 29-Jun-2015 04:01

Is your suggestion that, after a successful build, the build script should remove each assembly in turn and rebuild, reporting only if the build does not fail, so that you can remove the redundant assembly?

Remember I am talking about situations that can occur during long term system maintenance, not during a concious decision to get rid of a specific assembly.

Just like a piece of r-code can become redundant without anybody noticing, the same can happen to an assembly. Both will bloat the distribution, neither is wanted.

It just seems that it should actually be easy to detect and eliminate assemblies, especially as they can often be considerably larger than r-code.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 29-Jun-2015 12:40

“Is your suggestion that, after a successful build, the build script should remove each assembly in turn and rebuild, reporting only if the build does not fail, so that you can remove the redundant assembly?”

No, my wording was about potentially redundant assemblies. To my understanding, people involved in managing the application should know pretty much know candidates for no longer used assemblies:

Last month we switched from Infragistics Charts to Telerik Charts – so let’s try out if the UltraChart assembly is still required. Or, we are no longer using MDI, so let’s try without UltraTabbedMdiManager or UltraDockManager assembly.

But in the end, for each Assembly in question, you need to try that using a build.

Or you “grep” the whole r-code for all Assembly names. Those assemblies not appearing in the grep result are probably not needed.

Of couse all use of reflection means you’ll have to test at runtime L

Von: Simon L. Prinsloo [mailto:bounce-simonvidisolvecom@community.progress.com]
Gesendet: Montag, 29. Juni 2015 11:02
Betreff: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] Determine which assemblies are referenced by r-code

Reply by Simon L. Prinsloo

Is your suggestion that, after a successful build, the build script should remove each assembly in turn and rebuild, reporting only if the build does not fail, so that you can remove the redundant assembly?

Remember I am talking about situations that can occur during long term system maintenance, not during a concious decision to get rid of a specific assembly.

Just like a piece of r-code can become redundant without anybody noticing, the same can happen to an assembly. Both will bloat the distribution, neither is wanted.

It just seems that it should actually be easy to detect and eliminate assemblies, especially as they can often be considerably larger than r-code.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 29-Jun-2015 13:13

Perhaps this is a silly question that reflects my limited experience with these assemblies, but why would one try to solve the problem in r-code?  It seems like it would not be a difficult extension of ABL2DB to keep track of what assemblies are referenced in the source code and where they are referenced.  Then, if one wanted to change one, one could quickly report on where used and make the changes.  And, it would be a trivial report to identify unused ones.  At a site without source, that wouldn't work, of course, but isn't the question asked here in the context of continuous integration builds?

Posted by Simon L. Prinsloo on 29-Jun-2015 23:49

That is certainly an option.

I was just thinking along the lines of the RCODE-INFO system handle that tells us:

1. DB-REFERENCES

2. TABLE-LIST

3. TABLE-CRC-LIST

4. DISPLAY-TYPE

Looking at these fields in r-code enable you not only to reliably find what is used (a grep in source may pick up stuff that is actually in large comment blocks) but also enables other house keeping.

While continuous build is definitely one application and also a good candidate for ABL2DB, I am also thinking about a way to assemble packages for distribution.

Unless your AppServer code is .Net bound, you can filter out all r-code that reference .Net assemblies when creating the server distribution.

If the whole system is mainly OO based, you could similarly start out with everything referencing the .Net assemblies as the base for the UI and then add whatever other classes are referenced by those (as well as the odd .p based pieces that are still needed). In theory that should give a distribution with the smallest possible footprint without the risk of missing something and the additional advantage that assemblies referenced only in tools assisting with development and building could be identified and omitted from deployment packages.

But as long as you have a complete source base, ABL2DB is most likely a more flexible tool to implement this.

Another application could be trouble shooting. If a troubleshooting utility can run through all r-code on a WebClient installation and determine which assemblies that are referenced cannot be found on the local machine, it could be a huge advantage, but I guess if you use build tools and ABL2DB (or similar) to keep assemblies.xml clean, it would most likely be more efficient to parse that.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 30-Jun-2015 09:29

So, is this a request to add assembly tracking to ABL2DB? :)

Posted by Simon L. Prinsloo on 02-Jul-2015 02:03

I Guess it is. :-)

Posted by Simon L. Prinsloo on 02-Jul-2015 02:12

Just to conclude this thread:

There is no programmatic way to determine a program's dependencies (neither assemblies nor classes referenced by it).

The only solution seems to parse the source of the entire inheritance tree, list everything exposes by the USING statements, and then

a) Determine which items in the list are used in variable, property and parameter definitions.

b) Determine which items in the list are used in TYPE-OF(), CAST() and GET-CLASS() functions.

c) Determine which fully qualified type names are referenced in the above constructs.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 02-Jul-2015 09:27

On the list ... www.oehive.org/.../2246

This thread is closed