Is it possible to maintain a Mobile service (with JSDO's

Posted by Jurjen Dijkstra on 15-Jun-2015 05:38

Hi,

We are trying to learn about JSDO's and REST services, and how to make them in OpenEdge 11.5.1.

Documentation shows how to use wizards. Right-click here and there, toggle some options, click next, click finish. Fine.

What we need now, is to do what the wizard did, without using a GUI. Is there a command-line option somewhere, or some special "compile" statement, that magically rewrites the "pidl" files, or just takes those pidl files and generate the webservice?

We have multiple programmers, each adding features and commiting into a source code repository. Jenkins is doing continuous integration and is doing builds and continuous deployment into test servers. Jenkins can't right-click somewhere and press Next and Finish buttons, it needs to invoke commands in batch mode.

So, are there command-line options for Mobile development?

Thanks,

Jurjen.

All Replies

Posted by agent_008_nl on 15-Jun-2015 05:53

Quite some developers are requesting this. I submitted an enhancement request here: community.progress.com/.../create_rest_without_progress_developer_studio.aspx. One evildoer voted against, without giving reasons. Allas I cannot track him, I'd like to get him in my hands. ;-)

 Isn't your request something for the mobile or oe development group btw?

Regards,  Stefan.

Posted by Jurjen Dijkstra on 15-Jun-2015 06:32

Hi Stefan,

Thanks. I would like to upvote your enhancement request, but I don't see vote buttons. Maybe I don't have permission to vote. Or maybe I just don't understand the features and structure of this website. That's probably also the reason why this request is in the wrong place, if you say so.

Anyway, back on subject.

I find it hard to believe that Progress would put complicated logic in a GUI wizard, instead of putting that logic in a headless component first, then exposing it with an API, and finally making a GUI wizard in front of it.

Your reply did give me some pointers to read further. It seems there is a restgen.bat.  Looking at the code of that bat, does not give me a clue :-(

Thanks,

Jurjen.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 15-Jun-2015 06:47

It’s fairly straight forward to not use any of PSC’s tooling at all for mobile/JSDO based development. We have created a generic REST service that speaks on the backend the JSDO language and deals with any kind of Business Entity we have on the backend - dynamically.

A single REST service to rule them all and dynamic catalog generation.

No more need to change the WAR files whenever adding a business entity.

I agree, Progress needs more tooling on the REST Adapter. But it’s very, very, flexible. So that it allows us to build really nice applications.

Posted by Riverside Software on 15-Jun-2015 06:53

Assuming you're using a late version of PCT (use 194 on GitHub for example), you can use this task :

<RestGen dlcHome="${DLC}" projectDir="." destFile="dist/REST.paar" type="paar" services="RestProjectService" />

Assuming you have a .services directory in your base dir, and a service called RestProjectService. Attribute type can have the following values : paar, mobpaar, restwar, mobwar, mobappwar, onlymobapp

Report bugs on GitHub, that's almost not tested (and not documented).

Gilles

Posted by agent_008_nl on 15-Jun-2015 06:56

Hallo Jurjen,

When I click on your name I see you are not a member of nor the enhancements group nor mobile nor oe development. Go to f.e. community.progress.com/.../default.aspx and click 'join group'; after you joined you should be able to post in the group. Maybe it's the same for voting in the enhancements group. Jean Richert is the man here that knows everything about communities. You can request him putting this thread to mobile or oe development also.

  I was assured that the functionality we are asking for is non-existent at the moment, nor did I hear anything about a planning for a next release. I agree with your argument about the headless component first. Maybe all this is the result of the introduction of scrum at psc - malicious laughter- ?

Regards, Stefan.

Posted by agent_008_nl on 15-Jun-2015 07:13

That is nice for you, but we are stuck. Can you help the requesters out? We did not ask for commercials!

Posted by Jurjen Dijkstra on 15-Jun-2015 08:39

Well, it seems that the answer is "no, not now" but we will definitely give the PCT RestGen task a try.

I like Mike's proposal to have a generic war and do the actual routing and catalog generation at run-time in ABL. It may become bulky when there are hundreds of entities and many customized methods next to the standard CRUD methods, but I like it anyway. I do not really like that this means that we need to spend time on frameworking/tooling before we can go to market - we would prefer to simply use Progress tooling. But they are lacking.

Thanks all

Jurjen

Posted by Mike Fechner on 15-Jun-2015 09:01

Or use a framework that does this for you ;-)

Von meinem Windows Phone gesendet