Organize Using

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 13-Jun-2015 14:24

Having been reminded of Organize Using by a session at PCA, I thought I would give it a try in some code I am working on that uses Proparse, i.e., it has assemblies.  When I did Organize Using, all the references to the Proparse components went away!  I had picked Group All, Sort alphabetically, Qualified Type Names, and from Assembly/Propath.  I did not have Preserve valid checked because one of the points of trying to use it was that it would eliminate unused ones.

Seems anti-useful.

11.5

All Replies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 13-Jun-2015 14:28

You should be a little bit more precise in the using you had before and which usings got lost …

And log that as a bug. Just ranting here is not going to make it better.

Organize usings works well for me generally though.
Von: Thomas Mercer-Hursh [mailto:bounce-tamhas@community.progress.com]
Gesendet: Samstag, 13. Juni 2015 21:25
An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Betreff: [Technical Users - OE Development] Organize Using

Thread created by Thomas Mercer-Hursh

Having been reminded of Organize Using by a session at PCA, I thought I would give it a try in some code I am working on that uses Proparse, i.e., it has assemblies.  When I did Organize Using, all the references to the Proparse components went away!  I had picked Group All, Sort alphabetically, Qualified Type Names, and from Assembly/Propath.  I did not have Preserve valid checked because one of the points of trying to use it was that it would eliminate unused ones.

Seems anti-useful.

11.5

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 13-Jun-2015 14:39

Before:

using Progress.Lang.*.

using com.cintegrity.Proparse.SetEnvironment.

using com.cintegrity.Proparse.SetSchemaFromFile.

using com.joanju.proparse.NodeTypes from assembly.

using com.joanju.proparse.ProParserTokenTypes from assembly.

using org.prorefactor.core.JPNode from assembly.

using org.prorefactor.core.TreeUtils from assembly.

using org.prorefactor.treeparser.ParseUnit from assembly.

using org.prorefactor.treeparser.Symbol from assembly.

After:

using Progress.Lang.AppError from propath.

using com.cintegrity.Proparse.SetEnvironment from propath.

using com.cintegrity.Proparse.SetSchemaFromFile from propath.

Thank goodness for Ctrl-Z

My "ranting" here is an effort to get a handle on whether this is generally a problem or whether it might be specific to Proparse or IKVM.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 13-Jun-2015 14:58

I've had Organize Using add USINGs that didn't apply as well.

My practice has been to delete them as they've been generally harmless.

--
Tim Kuehn: Senior Consultant - TDK Consulting Services
President - Ontario PUG

Skype: timothy.kuehn
Ph: 519-576-8100
Cell: 519-781-0081

Posted by Mike Fechner on 13-Jun-2015 15:09

So you are saying it removed USING’s that are needed by your code? How does that code look like?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 13-Jun-2015 15:19

Correct, it removed all usings related to Proparse.

Code includes things like:

      mobJavaFile = new java.io.File(mchFullPath).
      obParseUnit = new ParseUnit(mobJavaFile).
      obParseUnit:treeParser01().
      mobNode = obParseUnit:getTopNode().

and

    define variable mobSymbol as class Symbol no-undo.

    if NodeTypes:getTypeName(ipobNode:getType()) = "ID"
    then mobSymbol = ipobNode:getSymbol().

    put stream stOutput unformatted
      skip
      fill(" ",inCurrentIndent)
      NodeTypes:getTypeName(ipobNode:getType())
      "    "
      ipobNode:getText()
      .
    if lgShowProparseDirectives then put stream stOutput unformatted  "    " ipobNode:attrGetS("proparsedirective":U).
    if lgShowSourceLineNo or lgShowColumn then put stream stOutput unformatted  "    " string(ipobNode:getLine()).
    if lgShowColumn then put stream stOutput unformatted  ":" string(ipobNode:getLine()).
    if lgShowSourceFileName then put stream stOutput unformatted  "    " ipobNode:getFilename().
    if lgShowTableType then put stream stOutput unformatted  "    " ipobNode:attrGetS("storetype":U).
    if lgShowStatementHeadFlag and ipobNode:isStateHead() then put stream stOutput unformatted  "    statehead".
    if lgShowSecondaryKeyword then put stream stOutput unformatted  "    " ipobNode:getState2().
    if lgShowSymbols and NodeTypes:getTypeName(ipobNode:getType()) = "ID" and valid-object(mobSymbol)
    then put stream stOutput unformatted  "    Reads: " mobSymbol:getNumReads() " Writes: " mobSymbol:getNumWrites().

Posted by Mike Fechner on 13-Jun-2015 15:22

Then log a bug.
[...]

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 13-Jun-2015 15:34

Case opened

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 24-Jun-2015 13:49

Bug recognized as PSC00335347

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 16-Jul-2015 16:24

Question:  Does Organize Using work generally for .NET classes or is it broken for anything outside of ABL?  If it works for .NET generally, then I am wondering if the the issue was that the .NET classes I was working with were created with IKVD.

Tim, did you report the cases where you got spurious usings?

A tool like this is immensely less useful if one can't trust it.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 16-Jul-2015 16:35

I've been running 11.5 and 11.5.1 and haven't had problems with the
tool dragging inappropriate USINGs in.

--
Tim Kuehn: Senior Consultant - TDK Consulting Services
President - Ontario PUG
Program Committee Chair - PUG Challenge Americas,
Course Instructor: Intro to OO Concepts for Procedural Programmers

Skype: timothy.kuehn
Ph: 519-576-8100
Cell: 519-781-0081

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 16-Jul-2015 16:45

So, maybe just earlier versions?

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 16-Jul-2015 17:24

11.3 at least, maybe 11.4.

--
Tim Kuehn: Senior Consultant - TDK Consulting Services
President - Ontario PUG
Program Committee Chair - PUG Challenge Americas,
Course Instructor: Intro to OO Concepts for Procedural Programmers

Skype: timothy.kuehn
Ph: 519-576-8100
Cell: 519-781-0081

Posted by Mike Fechner on 16-Jul-2015 22:23

The feature was not yet available in 11.3

Von meinem Windows Phone gesendet

--
Tim Kuehn: Senior Consultant - TDK Consulting Services
President - Ontario PUG
Program Committee Chair - PUG Challenge Americas,
Course Instructor: Intro to OO Concepts for Procedural Programmers

Skype: timothy.kuehn
Ph: 519-576-8100
Cell: 519-781-0081

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 16-Jul-2015 22:32

In that case it must've been the class lookup / add USING
package.class. functionality that was causing the problem because I
know I haven't seen the issue in 11.5.

--
Tim Kuehn: Senior Consultant - TDK Consulting Services
President - Ontario PUG
Program Committee Chair - PUG Challenge Americas,
Course Instructor: Intro to OO Concepts for Procedural Programmers

Skype: timothy.kuehn
Ph: 519-576-8100
Cell: 519-781-0081

Posted by Peter Judge on 17-Jul-2015 07:59

There are a few niggles I've found that I'm sharing as gotchas. Specifically, if you use the ABL GUID function, a USING System.Guid is added without prompting you for a choice (logged as PSC00325274). In general, I've seen issues where there are classes that match ABL keywords.

[collapse]

--
Tim Kuehn: Senior Consultant - TDK Consulting Services
President - Ontario PUG
Program Committee Chair - PUG Challenge Americas,
Course Instructor: Intro to OO Concepts for Procedural Programmers

Skype: timothy.kuehn
Ph: 519-576-8100
Cell: 519-781-0081

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 17-Jul-2015 09:03

One I saw repeatedly was an OE "string" USING being added with no
corresponding reference in the code.

Unless it was confusing STRING(IntegerVar) with a OE.Something.String.

--
Tim Kuehn: Senior Consultant - TDK Consulting Services
President - Ontario PUG
Program Committee Chair - PUG Challenge Americas,
Course Instructor: Intro to OO Concepts for Procedural Programmers

Skype: timothy.kuehn
Ph: 519-576-8100
Cell: 519-781-0081[/collapse]

Posted by Peter Judge on 17-Jul-2015 09:09

Same kind of issue ... OpenEdge.Core.String being added when you have STRING(27.5).

[collapse]

--
Tim Kuehn: Senior Consultant - TDK Consulting Services
President - Ontario PUG
Program Committee Chair - PUG Challenge Americas,
Course Instructor: Intro to OO Concepts for Procedural Programmers

Skype: timothy.kuehn
Ph: 519-576-8100
Cell: 519-781-0081

[/collapse][/collapse]

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 17-Jul-2015 09:43

So, Peter, your impression is that mostly it works, but has a few burps where it adds USING statements that are unnecessary and inappropriate?  Including references to .NET assemblies?  I.e., my problem of having all appropriate USINGs for .NET assemblies built with IKVD disappear is an isolated problem?

I am trying to help out the support engineer by defining a box.

Posted by Peter Judge on 17-Jul-2015 09:54

More-or-less, although I think it's less an issue with .Net assemblies, and more an issue with the fact that there might be classes that have the same names as ABL keywords.

You can reference Frank's post too in your conversations with the TSE.

[collapse]