Which ways are there to trigger events (with code of course)

Posted by Halbmond on 11-Jun-2015 06:05

Good day to all,

I ain't a progress developer but need to do a conception (and develop the external program) for a solution that triggers events in a progress client.

Brief:

I have an external measurement device for length of carpets and at specific amounts there shall be an action executed in the progress client. Therefore I need to trigger those actions in the progress client, but only when specific GUI windows are open.

As I understood from the "Progress External Program Interfaces" manual, sockets would provide that functionality because I could use the sockets "connect" event to initiate specific actions.

My question is: is there another way to do this, means initiate specific actions of the progress client from an external application?

Posted by Mike Fechner on 11-Jun-2015 06:09

OpenEdge 11.5.1 introduced a generic JMS adapter. So you can use JMS provides such as Active MQ to do that.

When your client is a GUI client, you can use GUI for .NET and get events raised from the .NET MS-MQ libraries.

GUI for .NET allows you to use .NET filesystem watchers that raise an event, once a file is created, updated, deleted, ….

I ain't a progress developer but need to do a conception (and develop the external program) for a solution that triggers events in a progress client.

Brief:

I have an external measurement device for length of carpets and at specific amounts there shall be an action executed in the progress client. Therefore I need to trigger those actions in the progress client, but only when specific GUI windows are open.

As I understood from the "Progress External Program Interfaces" manual, sockets would provide that functionality because I could use the sockets "connect" event to initiate specific actions.

My question is: is there another way to do this, means initiate specific actions of the progress client from an external application?

Posted by Halbmond on 11-Jun-2015 06:16

Great, thank you.

Yes it is a GUI client, which will be updated to Progress 11 soon. Indeed I do not know whether it is being updated to 11.5 at least.

I'm waiting for other suggestions, and mark your response as answer afterwards.

Posted by Marian Edu on 11-Jun-2015 12:17

since this is windows and there are no 'signals' you might try to use PostMessage or PostThreadMessage to send some message the progress runtime might respond to... just a long shoot probably.

This thread is closed