Getting some more informations about an "a:b:c" er

Posted by Marc on 10-Jun-2015 04:52

Hi all,

Do someone knows how to locate the mistake in 100000 lines of code when getting the following message ?

Lead attributes in a chained-attribute expression (a:b:c) must be type HANDLE or a user-defined type and valid (not UNKNOWN). (10068)

Unfortunately, this appends on a foreign server, so I can't use the debug mode...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ;)

Thank you

PS: using openedge 11.2 sp 1

Posted by TheMadDBA on 10-Jun-2015 09:41

We need more information about your Unix server and how you connect (appserver or network shared code)

On your client enable -debugalert and -clientlogging

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../19455

All Replies

Posted by Garry Hall on 10-Jun-2015 07:08

I don' t understand your restrictions. I would use -debugalert to get a line number if you don't have one. Once you know what line it is, you would break the expression into smaller expressions. I am assuming that when you say it is a foreign server, you have no access to the AVM running the code, and have no way to change the code. You can't debug this without being allowed to debug it.

Posted by Marc on 10-Jun-2015 09:28

Hello Garry, and thank you for your reply

I mean that the application is located on an unix server, launched with prowin32.exe [...]. I can reach the files (only .r files) and modify them on my local network... is there a way to attach a debbuger on it ?

I've tryed to add the -debugalert option, but since the message is in a gray Progress window (not a messagebox), it seems to have no effect.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 10-Jun-2015 09:32

Marc,

What about using the proGetStack command against the process ID to generate a stack?  This might provide some useful info.

Brian

Posted by TheMadDBA on 10-Jun-2015 09:41

We need more information about your Unix server and how you connect (appserver or network shared code)

On your client enable -debugalert and -clientlogging

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../19455

Posted by Marc on 10-Jun-2015 11:08

Thanks, -clientlogging worked fine in the prowin32 shortcut, and I found the problem.

Brian, the proGetStack command seems to be a bit more complicated to use... thank you anyway :)

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 10-Jun-2015 11:17

Marc,

No problem.  proGetStack is kind of a last resort but it seemed like you were at that point.  :)

Glad you were able to find the problem.

Brian

This thread is closed