OpenClient

Posted by MarkHeppenstall on 09-Jun-2015 11:50

I wonder if anyone can help.

We have an application that uses c# to connect to an Appserver using the OpenClient dlls, namely:-

  • Progress.o4glrt.dll
  • Progress.Messages.dll

The server currently runs 32bit v11.2 and everything works fine.

However, the server is being upgraded to 64bit v11.5.

The testing environment Appserver / DB configuration is identical and all other connections work fine but unfortunately the c# application will no longer connect to the Appserver.

The broker has the following error:-

[15/06/09@14:15:26.197+0100] P-006160 T-C-0001 2 UB Basic      Client connected : 192.168.120.30. (8533)

[15/06/09@14:15:26.398+0100] P-006160 T-C-0001 2 UB Basic      The client requested ASK version= 1.0  capabilities= allowServerASK,denyClientASK. (13769)

[15/06/09@14:15:26.399+0100] P-006160 T-C-0001 2 UB Basic      The negotiated ASK version= 1.0  capabilities= denyServerASK,denyClientASK.  ASK protocol is disabled for this connection. (15256)

[15/06/09@14:15:27.771+0100] P-006160 T-S-0002 1 UB ----------- ServerSocketsIPC read() IOException : java.net.SocketException: Connection reset :  Connection reset (8127)

[15/06/09@14:15:27.772+0100] P-006160 T-S-0002 1 UB ----------- ServerIPCException in getServerIPCMsg() : ServerIPC error: ubServerSocketsIPC.read() IOException: Connection reset. (8119)

[15/06/09@14:15:27.868+0100] P-006160 T-S-0002 1 UB ----------- Posted EAbnormalShutdownServerEvent for PID: 2264

[15/06/09@14:15:27.869+0100] P-006160 T-C-0001 1 UB ----------- Server Terminated Abnormally (8420)

[15/06/09@14:15:31.116+0100] P-006160 T-C-0001 2 UB Basic      Client disconnected : 192.168.120.30. (8534)

So I suppose my questions are:-

  • Is this likely to be an OpenClient DLL issue?
  • If so, can you use 32bit OpenClient to connect to 64bit Appserver?
  • If so, do we just need the latest 32bit v11.5 DLLs?
  • If so, where can I get these as they don't appear as downloaded products on the Progress site.

Thanks

All Replies

Posted by Rom Elwell on 09-Jun-2015 11:55

Do you need to rebuild your proxy for OE11.5 64bit via the proxygen tool?

Posted by lecuyer on 09-Jun-2015 12:37

The broker log suggests that the client disconnected. Can you turn on client logging?

Posted by James Palmer on 10-Jun-2015 02:21

Just for completeness, the other major change in configuration is moving from Windows 2003 Server 32bit to Windows 2012 R2 64bit.

Posted by MarkHeppenstall on 10-Jun-2015 02:32

Hi Rom,

We do not use the proxygen tool.

We connect to the Appserver directly using the methods available within Progress.Open4GL.Proxy class of Progress.o4glrt.dll.

Regards

Mark

Posted by MarkHeppenstall on 10-Jun-2015 02:58

Some more details....

This is a basic c# code fragment to indicate what we are doing (trimming out the actual names/paths etc.):-

using Progress.Open4GL;

using Progress.Open4GL.Proxy;

using Progress.Open4GL.DynamicAPI;

Connection myConn = null;

OpenAppObject oAPI = null;

string strUrl = "AppServer://ServerName:5162/AppServerName";

//Connect

myConn = new Connection(strUrl, "", "", "");

oAPI = new OpenAppObject(myConn, "DotNet");

//Do a simple run with INPUT and OUTPUT param

ParamArray p = new ParamArray(4);

p.AddLongChar(0, strParam1, ParamArrayMode.INPUT);

p.AddLongChar(1, strParam2, ParamArrayMode.INPUT);

p.AddLongChar(2, strParam3, ParamArrayMode.INPUT);

p.AddLongChar(3, null, ParamArrayMode.OUTPUT);

oAPI.RunProc("pcodefile.p", p);

catch (Progress.Open4GL.Exceptions.RunTime4GLException ex)

{

MessageBox.Show(ex.ToString());

}

I have narrowed it down to the fact that the RunProc method is throwing the Progress.Open4GL.Exceptions.RunTime4GLException id=7211, ERROR condition: Server Terminated Unexpectedly (7211)

There are no errors in the server log of the Appserver just the previous errors in the broker log.

Any ideas?

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 10-Jun-2015 05:53

Turn the error logging level for the appserver broker and server to the highest level and restart them.

Enable tracing on the .net client (see kbase for articles on doing that).

[collapse]
[...]

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 10-Jun-2015 06:04

Mark,

I would also recommend that you open a case with Tech Support.

Brian

Posted by MarkHeppenstall on 10-Jun-2015 06:10

Thanks Brian,

I have now raised with Tech Support.

As an update..

I now have the v11.5 DLLs and the result is the same.

I have added extended logging and the Appserver connection is made, the connect procedure is run successfully and the Appserver attempts to run the pcode file and it is then that the broker throws the above error causing the exception.

:-(

Mark

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 10-Jun-2015 06:32

Hi Mark,

It looks like your support case has been assigned to an engineer so I will step back and let them work with you.

Brian

Posted by MarkHeppenstall on 10-Jun-2015 07:02

Thanks Brian/all,

Although told that the Progress setup was identical on both servers I have established the cause as being a configuration issue and asked for the support ticket to be closed.

Regards,

Mark

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 10-Jun-2015 07:12

Mark,

Just to fully close the loop can you let us know what the configuration issue was?

Brian

Posted by James Palmer on 10-Jun-2015 07:16

My fault.

Actually let's blame [mention:3cb137fff0074190a2d3f32e55cf403a:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05] ;)

All our AppServers connect to named executables so that we can easily identify which ones are misbehaving. I forgot to also create named .config files for the executables.

This thread is closed