Mobile project vs REST project ?

Posted by marekk on 01-Jun-2015 02:26

Can someone describe the difference in applying mobile project (created without checking the option: Create Mobile App) and REST project?

For creating OE service (for e.g. Rollbase) we use mobile project but it is also for REST calls. SO, what is the difference?

All Replies

Posted by DivyaTheja on 01-Jun-2015 02:32

Hi Marek,

If REST project, service needs to be associated to abl file and all verbs needs to be mapped explicitly. Where as in Mobile project, when we associate a business entity file to service, all verbs will be mapped automatically.

- DivyaTheja

Posted by marekk on 01-Jun-2015 02:59

Hi Divya,

Thanks for your answer. Is it the only difference? Can we define OE service for Rollbase with REST project?

Posted by DivyaTheja on 01-Jun-2015 03:05

Hello Marek,

When we associate business entity to Service in Mobile project, it also creates a catalog file(json) which can be used for Rollbase. However, with REST project, catalog (json file) cannot be generated. So, we can't use simply REST project for defining Service for Rollbase.

-DivyaTheja

Posted by Piotr Tucholski on 01-Jun-2015 03:45

Mobile project is also for Kendo UI, right.

Posted by Bill Wood on 01-Jun-2015 04:34

with respect to
>>>.  Can we define OE service for Rollbase with REST project?

Posted by Michael Jacobs on 01-Jun-2015 04:53

The Mobile project's business entities, by design, exclude access to anything in the HTTP request & response messages.  So, you choose REST when your ABL application code requires direct access to the HTTP request/response context, headers, cookies, and character formatted body contents.   For all other cases I think the Mobile project's business entities are the best fit.

A REST service, in either a REST or Mobile project, allows you to map any HTTP artifact  to procedure/class-method parameters.  The penalty you pay for having accessing all of the HTTP request/response messages is that you must manually map each procedure, class-method, and parameter to a HTTP request/response component using a GUI mapping utility - a very long process if you have more than a few REST APIs.

Mike J.

[collapse]