Weird Alias problem

Posted by James Palmer on 28-May-2015 15:48

I usually compile my code with my databases connected with a logical name, but for the moment I'm having to connect them as aliases for something. 

I have code that does this:

FOR EACH ChargeRate WHERE

ChargeRate.PriceListKey = PriceList.PriceListKey AND
ChargeRate.ChargeBandKey = ChargeBand.ChargeBandKey NO-LOCK.

FIND ICMAS.BlockRange
WHERE ICMAS.BlockRange.BlockRangeKey = ICMAs.ChargeRate.BlockRangeKey NO-LOCK NO-ERROR.

When I compile with a logical dbname of ICMAS is compiles fine, but when I try and compile with aliases I get 

** Missing FOR, FIND or CREATE for a table with BlockRangeKey in current block. (232)

If I qualify the ChargeRate for each with ICMAS. then it also compiles ok. 

Unfortunately I have around 250 pieces of code exhibiting this chestnut and fixing them isn't an option right now (although it could be an entertaining project for a minion one day!) 

Short of connecting with the right logical dbname, is there anything I can do to get my alias compile to work properly? 

All Replies

Posted by Peter Judge on 28-May-2015 15:53

Where's your alias defined?

What are you using to compile?

[collapse]
From: James Palmer [mailto:bounce-jdpjamesp@community.progress.com]
Sent: Thursday, 28 May, 2015 16:49
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - OE Development] Weird Alias problem

Thread created by James Palmer

I usually compile my code with my databases connected with a logical name, but for the moment I'm having to connect them as aliases for something. 

I have code that does this:

FOR EACH ChargeRate WHERE

ChargeRate.PriceListKey = PriceList.PriceListKey AND
ChargeRate.ChargeBandKey = ChargeBand.ChargeBandKey NO-LOCK.

FIND ICMAS.BlockRange
WHERE ICMAS.BlockRange.BlockRangeKey = ICMAs.ChargeRate.BlockRangeKey NO-LOCK NO-ERROR.

When I compile with a logical dbname of ICMAS is compiles fine, but when I try and compile with aliases I get 

** Missing FOR, FIND or CREATE for a table with BlockRangeKey in current block. (232)

If I qualify the ChargeRate for each with ICMAS. then it also compiles ok. 

Unfortunately I have around 250 pieces of code exhibiting this chestnut and fixing them isn't an option right now (although it could be an entertaining project for a minion one day!) 

Short of connecting with the right logical dbname, is there anything I can do to get my alias compile to work properly? 

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by James Palmer on 28-May-2015 15:58

DEFINE VARIABLE chDataBaseList AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO INITIAL "C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\Schema Holders\commliv\commliv,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\Schema Holders\docliv\docliv,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\Schema Holders\Live\icmasliv,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\Schema Holders\netsec\icsec,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\Schema Holders\secure\secure".
DEFINE VARIABLE chAliasList AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO INITIAL "comm,docum,ICMAS,inteletrade,secure".
DEFINE VARIABLE chDataBaseConnectParams AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO INITIAL "-1|-1|-1|-1|-1".
DEFINE VARIABLE chSchemaDirectory AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO INITIAL "C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\Schema Holders".
DEFINE VARIABLE chSchemaFileList AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO INITIAL "commliv,docliv,icmasliv,icsec,secure".
/* Propath needed for compile */
DEFINE VARIABLE chPropath AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO INITIAL "C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\ICMAS\CLS,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\ICMAS\Core,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\ICMAS\ICODE,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\ICMAS\PCODE,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\ICMAS\TRIGGERS,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\ICMAS\WCODE,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\ICMAS,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\INENCO,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\SECURE\ICODE,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\SECURE\PCODE,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\SECURE\TRIGGERS,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\SECURE\WCODE,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\ICMAS WEB DEV\ICODE,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\ICMAS\ICONS".

define variable mchCurrentDB as character no-undo.
    define variable mchLogicalDB as character no-undo.

def var lv-i as int no-undo. 

do lv-i = 1 to num-entries(chDataBaseList):

mchCurrentDB = entry( lv-i, chDataBaseList ).
      mchLogicalDB = entry(num-entries(mchCurrentDB, "\"), mchCurrentDB, "\").
      connect value( mchCurrentDB ) value( entry( lv-i, chDataBaseConnectParams, "|" )).
      create alias value( entry( lv-i, chAliasList ) ) for database value( mchLogicalDB ).
end.       

propath = chpropath.

compile value("C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\ICMAS\PCODE\PLExportMaster.p").

Excuse the wonky formatting - just some code I cobbled together to prove the point. 

Posted by Peter Judge on 28-May-2015 16:01

Usually the statement that uses the alias (the compile in this case) needs to be in a child or called .P.

What happens is you move the COMPILE statement into its own .p?
-- peter

[collapse]
Sent: Thursday, 28 May, 2015 16:59
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] Weird Alias problem

Reply by James Palmer
DEFINE VARIABLE chDataBaseList AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO INITIAL "C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\Schema Holders\commliv\commliv,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\Schema Holders\docliv\docliv,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\Schema Holders\Live\icmasliv,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\Schema Holders\netsec\icsec,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\Schema Holders\secure\secure".
DEFINE VARIABLE chAliasList AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO INITIAL "comm,docum,ICMAS,inteletrade,secure".
DEFINE VARIABLE chDataBaseConnectParams AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO INITIAL "-1|-1|-1|-1|-1".
DEFINE VARIABLE chSchemaDirectory AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO INITIAL "C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\Schema Holders".
DEFINE VARIABLE chSchemaFileList AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO INITIAL "commliv,docliv,icmasliv,icsec,secure".
/* Propath needed for compile */
DEFINE VARIABLE chPropath AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO INITIAL "C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\ICMAS\CLS,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\ICMAS\Core,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\ICMAS\ICODE,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\ICMAS\PCODE,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\ICMAS\TRIGGERS,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\ICMAS\WCODE,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\ICMAS,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\INENCO,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\SECURE\ICODE,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\SECURE\PCODE,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\SECURE\TRIGGERS,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\SECURE\WCODE,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\ICMAS WEB DEV\ICODE,C:\Users\jpalmer\Copy\ABL2DB\ICMAS\ICONS".

define variable mchCurrentDB as character no-undo.
    define variable mchLogicalDB as character no-undo.

def var lv-i as int no-undo. 

connect value( mchCurrentDB ) value( entry( lv-i, chDataBaseConnectParams, "|" )).
      create alias value( entry( lv-i, chAliasList ) ) for database value( mchLogicalDB ).
end.       

propath = chpropath.

[/collapse]

Posted by James Palmer on 28-May-2015 16:05

That's a good point. I'll give it a go. Although I get the same behaviour with different classes in the full application I'm using.

Posted by James Palmer on 28-May-2015 16:06

No get the same behaviour with the compile in a different .p.

Posted by Peter Judge on 28-May-2015 16:11

Are the aliases set? What aare the logical db values in this .p and the .p that does the compilation?

[collapse]
Sent: Thursday, 28 May, 2015 17:07
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] Weird Alias problem

Reply by James Palmer

No get the same behaviour with the compile in a different .p.

[/collapse]

Posted by James Palmer on 28-May-2015 16:35

The databases have the same physical and logical names which are different from the alias ones. The aliases must be setting correctly for it to get that far in the compile.

Posted by James Palmer on 28-May-2015 17:39

I'm going to create up a way to replicate the issue in a more easily reproducable way and log a support issue.

Posted by James Palmer on 28-May-2015 17:46

Using sports2000 I can easily reproduce the issue.[View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/19/6746.brokencode.p:550:0][View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/19/3527.comp.p:550:0][View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/19/3252.compiletester.p:550:0]

Run CompileTester with all the code in c:\temp and the sports2000 database in c:\temp\sports2000. 

Posted by Frank Meulblok on 29-May-2015 05:52

What's happening here is that in the brokencode.p the compiler gets confused due to the mixing of qualified & unqualified references:

for each Order no-lock:

find s2k.Customer no-lock

where s2k.Customer.CustNum eq s2k.Order.CustNum no-error.

end.

The first reference gets resolved to the logical database name (think of that as the first alias in the list of aliases for a given connection), making it a qualified buffer reference for sports2000.Order. That's a different buffer name than s2k.Order, which is why the compiler errors out a few steps later.

Posted by James Palmer on 29-May-2015 06:01

Makes sense Frank. Unfortunately it doesn't help my case! Using -ld causes other issues with Proparse and there are too many instances of the unqualified references in the code base to validly fix them in the time constraints I have.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 29-May-2015 06:44

[collapse]
From what I understand over the years is that this statement: 
[collapse]

[collapse]
[collapse]

needs to be in its own .p - something about the AVM doing certain stuff on connect which is cleaned up when it returns from the .p.

Tim 
[collapse]

[collapse]
On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 4:58 PM, James Palmer <bounce-jdpjamesp@community.progress.com> wrote:

end.       

propath = chpropath.

--
Tim Kuehn:  Senior Consultant  - TDK Consulting Services
President - Ontario PUG 
Program Committee Chair - PUG Challenge Americas, 
Course Instructor: Intro to OO Concepts for Procedural Programmers

Ph: 519-576-8100
Cell: 519-781-0081
[/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse][/collapse]

Posted by Fernando Souza on 29-May-2015 07:56

Just to clarify, what you are seeing is expected and documented (look at the CREATE ALIAS statement, under the Notes section). The compiler is not getting confused. The use of aliases make the compiler create a reference to the table that is different from the unqualified reference. We have to do it because at runtime we do not know which db the alias will be pointing to and we can't guarantee they will be for the exact same table. Therefore, when you use aliases, you should always qualify the references.

And as for the CONNECT statement, the reason the connect would have to be in its own .p is because you can't reference a table and try to connect to the db in the same .p - when the .p loads, it needs to have the databases it depends on already connected. That's all.  So the code that James had with the connect and create alias in the same .p is just fine since there are no references to tables on that .p.

Posted by James Palmer on 29-May-2015 08:01

Thanks Fernando for clarifying. That's going to unfortunately cause some major issues for me :(

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 29-May-2015 09:55

Tim, not its own .p, but at a higher level than the use.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 29-May-2015 09:58

I *think* that James and I may have figured out what we need to do to keep Proparse happy and so we should be able to handle this.   I guess the bottom line is that it is bad practice to mix qualified and unqualified references and it is, if anything, surprising that this hasn't caused other problems earlier.

This thread is closed