Definitive email solution..?

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 20-May-2015 10:40

For years I've using sendmail.p to ..... well, just do that....

Anyway, I wonder, in view of the advance of programming paradigms and stuff, I wonder, is it something that we can call the modern, definitive (for the time being) way of sending email from abl, and more precise, from PAS oe?

Besides to the fact that I really see the end of email as we know it, coming in the near future, as eventually it will transform into some solution based more on mobile plataforms, and interactivity and collaboration, more than just sending messages, short and long.

What would be a sure bet to make for this time in how to send email from my PAS app?

TIA

Jorge Octavio

All Replies

Posted by Peter Judge on 20-May-2015 10:47

I don't believe there are plans for built-in a mail client in PAS/OE (or other ABL clients).

Sendmail.p should continue to work without problems.

-- peter

[collapse]
From: OctavioOlguin [mailto:bounce-OctavioOlguin@community.progress.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 20 May, 2015 11:41
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - OE Development] Definitive email solution..?

Thread created by OctavioOlguin

For years I've using sendmail.p to ..... well, just do that....

Anyway, I wonder, in view of the advance of programming paradigms and stuff, I wonder, is it something that we can call the modern, definitive (for the time being) way of sending email from abl, and more precise, from PAS oe?

Besides to the fact that I really see the end of email as we know it, coming in the near future, as eventually it will transform into some solution based more on mobile plataforms, and interactivity and collaboration, more than just sending messages, short and long.

What would be a sure bet to make for this time in how to send email from my PAS app?

TIA

Jorge Octavio

Posted by blichal on 22-May-2015 01:35

if you find the best, free, opensource, cross platform C/C++ mail library

then I'll be happy to write a 4GL wrapper for it and add it to the STandard Libraries project @oehive.org

Posted by josephguerra on 11-Dec-2015 09:50

Have you seen libquickmail?

sourceforge.net/.../

Posted by Paul Mowat on 14-Dec-2015 02:47

I'm also looking for a better mechanism than smtpmail.p. We need to be able to start supporting TLS and can't quite see how smtpmail.p would handle this.

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 20-Feb-2018 13:40

Haven't being any update to this line of tought?

Posted by Alon Blich on 21-Feb-2018 02:46

I've used and would highly recommend curl for email and almost anything network related.

curl.haxx.se/.../example.html

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 24-Feb-2018 11:42

but.. in windows??? :(

Posted by Alon Blich on 25-Feb-2018 04:32

it's standard c/c++ so you could compile it on anything but here's a link to the prebuilt binaries -

curl.haxx.se/download.html

curl is extremely common. it's practically the industry standard. it comes installed on most linux/unix distro's.

looking at the openedge installation directory i found libcurl_a.lib static library in the oebuild/ directory so even openedge uses libcurl.

if you'd like, contact me offline at alonblich@gmail.com and i could show you howto compile, install and use curl from openedge abl.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 26-Feb-2018 06:44

If you are in windows why not just use the SmtpClient

oSMTP = NEW SmtpClient(emailserver.com).

This thread is closed