REST Adapter issues (OE 11.4)

Posted by sjellin.dovetail on 15-May-2015 09:38

Hi All,

OE 11.4 (Windows 2012 server).

I've noticed the following and was wondering if anyone could assist / give usefull ideas?

Firstly, if I set a DATASET output parameter and it contains a decimal field in one of the contained temp table fields it comes out in exponent notation in the json object.  Now, if I accept a dataset back with that same field in exponent notation (READ-JSON) and via the adapter, OpenEdge can't convert it back.   Apart from converting to character .. any ideas ?

Secondly, using a DATASET-HANDLE as an input parameter, works in one instance but not another.  i.e. method A accepts one JSON object and the second method accepts another.  method A will work with the supplied JSON - this will not work on method B.  The JSON I tried on method B will not work in A at all.  If I take both json strings and READ-JSON on a freshly "CREATE DATASET" object it loads without issue. ... again, any ideas ?  I am converting the inputs to longchar due to running out of time to figure out whats going on  (I did check my config for both methods in the adapter - appear identical other than end point).

Posted by Robin Brown on 22-May-2015 12:52

Yes, READ-JSON  does not accept JSON Numbers with the E notation.  We went with the ABL decimal format.  This is something you should also log with technical support.  

All Replies

Posted by Irfan on 15-May-2015 11:42

Hi,

I do not have 11.4 environment with Win 2012 handy, but I tried to test it on 11.5 and I could see the decimal value displaying correctly.

Here is my ABL server logic

def input param  i1 as int.

DEFINE  TEMP-TABLE tt-cust1   NO-UNDO
   FIELD custnum AS INTEGER
   FIELD balance as decimal

define dataset ds-1 for tt-cust1.

define output param dataset for ds-1.

create tt-cust1.
tt-cust1.custnum = i1.
tt-cust1.balance = 1.1.

I deployed this server logic as a REST Service and this is what happens when I run a REST request, then I get the below output

{"ds-1":{"tt-cust1":[{"custnum":1,"balance":1.1}]}}

Is this what you were looking for ? Please let us know

Regards,
Irfan

[collapse]
From: sjellin.dovetail [mailto:bounce-sjellindovetail@community.progress.com]
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2015 10:39 AM
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - OE Development] REST Adapter issues (OE 11.4)

Thread created by sjellin.dovetail

Hi All,

OE 11.4 (Windows 2012 server).

I've noticed the following and was wondering if anyone could assist / give usefull ideas?

Firstly, if I set a DATASET output parameter and it contains a decimal field in one of the contained temp table fields it comes out in exponent notation in the json object.  Now, if I accept a dataset back with that same field in exponent notation (READ-JSON) and via the adapter, OpenEdge can't convert it back.   Apart from converting to character .. any ideas ?

Secondly, using a DATASET-HANDLE as an input parameter, works in one instance but not another.  i.e. method A accepts one JSON object and the second method accepts another.  method A will work with the supplied JSON - this will not work on method B.  The JSON I tried on method B will not work in A at all.  If I take both json strings and READ-JSON on a freshly "CREATE DATASET" object it loads without issue. ... again, any ideas ?  I am converting the inputs to longchar due to running out of time to figure out whats going on  (I did check my config for both methods in the adapter - appear identical other than end point).

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by Robin Brown on 15-May-2015 14:13

We need more information.  It would help if you supply the JSON string that you are trying to convert into a dataset.  

For case 1, by 'exponent notation', do you mean scientific notation, for example "3.7e-5"?.  This can only be treated as a character temp-table field.  OpenEdge will not convert such a string into a decimal temp-table field.

For case 2, there is not enough information to give you a good answer/solution to your problem.  Please elaborate.

Regards,

Robin

Posted by sjellin.dovetail on 22-May-2015 03:40

Hi All, Sorry for the late reply - with more info - hope someone is still able to help :)  

If I use very large decimals (like dynamics obj numbers) - it winds up in scientific notation -> here is some sample code

At the bottom is the result calling it via FireFox (to rule out Postman doing something odd).

Note: - the output is converting to scientific as the write-json(longchar,file) - do not change to scientific notation.

If the output dataset is pushed to a procedure expecting DATASET-HANDLE - it fails as openedge then doesn't map the E back to decimal.  

What I found was ... http://json.org/ which shows that number CAN have E .. which the output seems to do, but the input doesn't seem to do - this is perhaps rather a bug ??

@openapi.openedge.export FILE(type="REST", executionMode="singleton", useReturnValue="false", writeDataSetBeforeImage="false").

/**********************************************************************

* Copyright (C) 2006-2013 by Consultingwerk Ltd. ("CW") -            *

* www.consultingwerk.de and other contributors as listed             *

* below.  All Rights Reserved.                                       *

*  Software is distributed on an "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY    *

*   KIND, either express or implied.                                 *

*  Contributors:                                                     *

**********************************************************************/

/*------------------------------------------------------------------------

File        : testScientific

Purpose     :

Syntax      :

Description :

Author(s)   : stevenj

Created     : Fri May 22 09:51:07 CAT 2015

Notes       :

----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

ROUTINE-LEVEL ON ERROR UNDO, THROW.

USING FW.Rest.* FROM PROPATH .  

USING Progress.Lang.* FROM PROPATH .

CLASS FW.Rest.testScientific:

define temp-table breakme no-undo

field bignumberfield as decimal.

define dataset dsbreakme FOR breakme.

define VARIABLE lcbreakme as longchar no-undo.

@openapi.openedge.export(type="REST", useReturnValue="false", writeDataSetBeforeImage="false").

METHOD PUBLIC VOID mbreakme (OUTPUT DATASET FOR dsbreakme, OUTPUT plcbreakme as longchar):

create breakme.

bignumberfield = 10000000.1.

create breakme.

bignumberfield = 100000000.1.

create breakme.

bignumberfield = 1000000000.1.

create breakme.

bignumberfield = 10000000000.1.

create breaKme.

bignumberfield = 10000000.111.

create breakme.

bignumberfield = 100000000.111.

create breakme.

bignumberfield = 1000000000.111.

create breakme.

bignumberfield = 10000000000.111.

DATASET dsbreakme:WRITE-JSON("LONGCHAR",plcbreakme).

END METHOD.

END CLASS.

--> Output put

{"response":{"dsbreakme":{"dsbreakme":{"breakme":[{"bignumberfield":1.00000001E7},{"bignumberfield":1.000000001E8},{"bignumberfield":1.0000000001E9},{"bignumberfield":1.00000000001E10},{"bignumberfield":1.0000000111E7},{"bignumberfield":1.00000000111E8},{"bignumberfield":1.000000000111E9},{"bignumberfield":1.0000000000111E10}]}},"plcbreakme":"{\"dsbreakme\":{\"breakme\":[{\"bignumberfield\":10000000.1},{\"bignumberfield\":100000000.1},{\"bignumberfield\":1000000000.1},{\"bignumberfield\":10000000000.1},{\"bignumberfield\":10000000.111},{\"bignumberfield\":100000000.111},{\"bignumberfield\":1000000000.111},{\"bignumberfield\":10000000000.111}]}}"}}

Posted by WinningJr on 22-May-2015 06:55

This doesn’t answer your question, but ….

We also found the issue with read-json but there were too many things in the middle to report it.  We use the SFDC Bulk API to pull XML,  use read-xml to get it into a tt, use write-json and store it in a clob, later use read-json to put it into a tt.

During a demo, someone typed an unrealistically high dollar amount into a price field.  It blew up for the same reason.  We had to change the tt field to a character and parse it afterwards – I think Tom B. found call using the class browser:

vUSPrice = System.Decimal:Parse(ttSFDCLineItem.UNITPRICE,System.Globalization.NumberStyles:Any).

So, I also felt it was a bug, but we worked around it.

-Gerry

[collapse]
From: sjellin.dovetail [mailto:bounce-sjellindovetail@community.progress.com]
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2015 4:41 AM
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] REST Adapter issues (OE 11.4)

Reply by sjellin.dovetail

Hi All, Sorry for the late reply - with more info - hope someone is still able to help :)  

If I use very large decimals (like dynamics obj numbers) - it winds up in scientific notation -> here is some sample code

At the bottom is the result calling it via FireFox (to rule out Postman doing something odd).

Note: - the output is converting to scientific as the write-json(longchar,file) - do not change to scientific notation.

If the output dataset is pushed to a procedure expecting DATASET-HANDLE - it fails as openedge then doesn't map the E back to decimal.  

What I found was ... http://json.org/ which shows that number CAN have E .. which the output seems to do, but the input doesn't seem to do - this is perhaps rather a bug ??

@openapi.openedge.export FILE(type="REST", executionMode="singleton", useReturnValue="false", writeDataSetBeforeImage="false").

/**********************************************************************

* Copyright (C) 2006-2013 by Consultingwerk Ltd. ("CW") -            *

* www.consultingwerk.de and other contributors as listed             *

* below.  All Rights Reserved.                                       *

*  Software is distributed on an "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY    *

*   KIND, either express or implied.                                 *

*  Contributors:                                                     *

**********************************************************************/

/*------------------------------------------------------------------------

File        : testScientific

Purpose     :

Syntax      :

Description :

Author(s)   : stevenj

Created     : Fri May 22 09:51:07 CAT 2015

Notes       :

[/collapse]

Posted by sjellin.dovetail on 22-May-2015 08:35

Hi,

Maybe its just cause I'm stubborn, but what I did was to read the longchar coming through the rest service, and parse out what looked like a scientific notation field and converted it and then READ-JSON'd the value.

Seems to be working so far - But in my humble opinion the read-json should cater for scientific nation since the json.org website shows that E notation is valid.

Posted by Robin Brown on 22-May-2015 12:40

The ABL WRITE-JSON method does not serialize decimal fields using scientific notation.  Please log an issue with technical support so that we can investigate this further.  

Posted by Robin Brown on 22-May-2015 12:52

Yes, READ-JSON  does not accept JSON Numbers with the E notation.  We went with the ABL decimal format.  This is something you should also log with technical support.  

Posted by sjellin.dovetail on 25-May-2015 08:58

Thanks for the suggestions, I will log them as support cases as soon as I'm done breaking^H^H^H^H^H^H^H "exploring" the rest of the 11.4 Adapter.

This thread is closed