Change the size of a tty

Posted by carlos@lux.mx on 05-May-2015 17:10

Hi, I´m working with a mobil project, using ascii terminal, with a small screen, how can I tell progress that I have less rows and columns?

Thanks in advance

Posted by Simon L. Prinsloo on 06-May-2015 07:01

Since you use an ascii terminal, I assume the session runs on a Linux/Unix system.

You set co# and li# in the protermcap file, but if you make it less than 80x6, you will get an error message and it will expand to 80x6. I would not edit the original, but a copy of it and point the session to it using the PROTERMCAP environment variable.

However, as long as you take care not to display anything beyond the last column, you can successfully run on a terminal with less columns, as long as you have at least six lines.

If you have a box and the output is too wide, it goes "funny", but if you display with NO-BOX, it seems to wrap.

So the long and the short is that you need to:

1. co# to the max of 80 and your available columns.

2. li# to the number of lines you have, but not less t han 6.

3. Keep the width of your frames <= the available columns.

Using NO-BOX saves you a lot of space.

Note that with li#6 you will only have three useful lines, as Progress reserves the last line for the status area and the two above that for the message area.

All Replies

Posted by Garry Hall on 05-May-2015 21:29

I had thought this was possible with the co and li entries in protermcap, but the AVM enforces a minimum of 80 columns and 6 lines. For some terminal types the AVM queries ioctl for information (based on the ws entry), but that might not be a portable solution. I think you have to code your frames to the expected screen size using WIDTH . But I would defer to others who have actually done this.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 06-May-2015 04:42

May be a platform specific question… On good old Windows 8.1 and OpenEdge 11.5 I can execute _progres in a 40 by 6 “DOS” box:

/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/communityserver-mailgateway-mailroom-forumshandler/fb2ee141dcd148828a22740894ff3012/image001.jpg

Procedure editor won’t work – because it complains screen is too small for the menu. But a simple test.p with UDPATE c does work.

[...]

This thread is closed