CONVERSION OF A PROGRESS v10 DATABASE TO SQL SERVER

Posted by a.lisac on 18-Apr-2015 02:53

Recently I've been asigned to convert a v10 database to SQL SERVER. I must admit I havent used Progress before and what I've found yet is worring.

In the first hour i've found a very good video tutorial which explains the steps for my convertion. The problem I've encountered is no mather what I've did I ended up at the same error : your database is 4246 and the Progress is 4269.

One reasonable solution would be to donwload and install Developer Studio v10 and from there to follow the video tutorial. The problem is I cant find a download link for that. Can you guys please help me on this.

If there isnt this option with Developer Studio v10 what other options are for such convertion ?

Thank you

All Replies

Posted by Simon L. Prinsloo on 18-Apr-2015 10:36

You are trying to make a shared memory connection using a newer version of OpenEdge than the version serving the database. Use the OpenEdge runtime from the installation that serves the database or connect through the network layer.

Posted by a.lisac on 19-Apr-2015 15:59

Thank you very much for your answer Simon.

As I said in my post I am new to Progress and unfortunately connecting through the network layer doesn't ring a bell at all for me. This is pretty important for me so can I kindly ask you to describe me with little bit more details the operation ?

A similar post or tutorial would be enough if you don't have the time to make the explanation ( or its a long one).

Thank you

Posted by sgarg on 20-Apr-2015 02:19

You are hitting a roadblock due to version incompatibility of your database and the progress version.

What version of the OpenEdge you are using and how you are connecting to database

Thanks,

Sachin

Posted by a.lisac on 20-Apr-2015 02:45

The version of Developer Studio I have is the only version I found on Progress site : 11.5

I know I need Developer Studio 10 but I don't find a download link for it.  So I guess the only option left is to connect through the network layer as Simon said.

The only problem is that I'm not a Progress user and this is my first time I open an Progress database. Can someone please explain me how I can extract the infos from v10 Progress database to SQL SERVER through network layer ?

Posted by Simon L. Prinsloo on 20-Apr-2015 03:13

The installation serving the database will have the correct version of the client as well.

To connect through the network layer, you will need to know the host and port name of the database.

You might also be able to access the database through ODBC from some tools that are more familiar to you. Look at the documentation if you are interested in this option: documentation.progress.com/.../openedge115

Note that the ODBC drivers are 32-bit only, so if you are on a 64-bit machine, you need to use the 32-bit version of ODBC Data Source Administrator in SYSWOW64, not the one in control panel, which will start the 64-bit one in System32.

Posted by a.lisac on 20-Apr-2015 03:50

Thank you again Simon for the prompt answer. I must confess this is very intimidating and a convertion shouldnt be so scarry.

Anyway ... Long before any video tutorial I found a little software called Full Convert which surprisingly recognized the database, but when I tryed to make the real convertion it blocked. I think it was more due to the trial period that the error occured and I think at this point we are ready to buy a licence just to finish the ordeal.

Posted by sgarg on 20-Apr-2015 04:25

if you are connecting database from ABL client (which I guess you are), then you can use DataServer for MSSQL Server to push your Progress Database to SQL Server.

Thanks,

Sachin

Posted by Paul Clare on 20-Apr-2015 05:37

Hi Andrei,

You may already have support on the license you have?  Please get the license as I explained earlier today and log a support case.  If there is no maintenance on it, Customer Order Management will contact you to arrange support.  If there is support on the license, then we will help you to resolve this.

Regards,

Paul.

[collapse]