Is it a good idea to use scheduled 'Jobs' of OpenEdg

Posted by slacroixak on 14-Apr-2015 07:11

Hi all, we are reevaluating the best way of running ABL batch jobs as services (mainly on Windows now), and I was wondering if I could just use the "Jobs" facility of OpenEdge Management (11.5).

I've given it a try to run bpro.bat, and it seems to work quite fine, as an independent spawn process (parented by a complete cmd.exe).

Would you recommend it usage, or discourage its usage in favor to another approach and why)?

Thanks

/Sébastien L.

All Replies

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 14-Apr-2015 07:51

Ø  Would you recommend it usage, or discourage its usage in favor to another approach and why)?

If you already have and/or planning to use OEM on that machine then go for it.
You will have “all” the OE environment related stuff “under” one roof, eg OEM. That would be a pros in my book.

If you want to install it only for scheduling jobs and nothing else, then you might use Task Scheduler or cron. (It would be an overkill, IMO, as it would take less OS resources).

[collapse]