Extensibility issues in PDSOE

Posted by Patrick Tingen on 02-Apr-2015 06:37

We are working with PDS 11.4 and I am experimenting with the customization editor. I have added a menu+button for my DataDigger but it does not seem to show up in the toolbar, although it really is there:

When I press it, it works. However, I don't see the icon. I have tried different filetypes and sizes. A .ico file does not seem to work, nor does a 16x16 gif image. 

Second problem is that I have 4 'ghost' buttons at the left of my invisible DataDigger button. These were created during earlier attempts to add the button. In the customization editor I can only see one entry:

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Update: I found out that images /can/ be shown, as long as they are in the icons subfolder of the openedge extensibility plugin.

All Replies

Posted by RWEBSTER on 02-Apr-2015 07:05

I've not seen the issues with icons before, but frequently ran into your second issue when using OE 11.4. In the end I took to editing plugin.xml in to get rid of the erroneous entries.

C:\[dlc11_4]\oeide\eclipse\plugins\com.openedge.pdt.extensibility.user_1.0.0

There's also an icons folder in that directory, no idea if it'd help to manually add your .gif to that folder...worth a go I suspect.

I'm yet to see the issue in 11.5, but that could be a coincidence...

Posted by Matt Baker on 02-Apr-2015 07:42

Eclipse usually only looks for icons inside the plugin.  Create an “icons” folder inside the plugin (if it isn’t there already) and try putting your icon there, and make sure to use the relative path to the icon in the extension editor.

mattB

[collapse]
From: RWEBSTER [mailto:bounce-stigdarkstar@community.progress.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2015 8:07 AM
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] Extensibility issues in PDSOE

Reply by RWEBSTER

I've not seen the issues with icons before, but frequently ran into your second issue when using OE 11.4. In the end I took to editing plugin.xml in to get rid of the erroneous entries.

C:\[dlc11_4]\oeide\eclipse\plugins\com.openedge.pdt.extensibility.user_1.0.0

There's also an icons folder in that directory, no idea if it'd help to manually add your .gif to that folder...worth a go I suspect.

I'm yet to see the issue in 11.5, but that could be a coincidence...

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by Patrick Tingen on 02-Apr-2015 08:59

Thanks for the tips about the icons folder. That one seems to work now.

I manually cleaned the plugin.xml file and that got rid of the extra entries.

After starting PDS -clean the ghost icons are gone now. Great!

Now I would like to take it a bit further by defining editor context menu. I can start a progress program from the editor context menu and I can send the filenamem of the current selection, but I would like to know in my program what text was selected by the user. Is that possible?

Posted by Matt Baker on 02-Apr-2015 09:05

PDS only passes currently selected file name.  Either the file open in the editor or whatever is selected in the resource outline.  More than that at the moment, and you’ll be writing your own java plugin to interact with the text editor.

What are you trying to accomplish?

mattB

[collapse]
From: Patrick Tingen [mailto:bounce-ptingen@community.progress.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2015 10:00 AM
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] Extensibility issues in PDSOE

Reply by Patrick Tingen

Thanks for the tips about the icons folder. That one seems to work now.

I manually cleaned the plugin.xml file and that got rid of the extra entries.

After starting PDS -clean the ghost icons are gone now. Great!

Now I would like to take it a bit further by defining editor context menu. I can start a progress program from the editor context menu and I can send the filenamem of the current selection, but I would like to know in my program what text was selected by the user. Is that possible?

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by Patrick Tingen on 02-Apr-2015 09:14

I could use this for the DataDigger; select the table name, enter context menu, choose "DataDigger" and it will open the DataDigger for that table.

Second use case: select name of an include / external program, enter context menu, choose "Open via propath"

Posted by RWEBSTER on 02-Apr-2015 09:18

For your second use: hold ctrl and click the element.

Posted by Patrick Tingen on 02-Apr-2015 09:26

Wow, great! Learn new things every hour!

As an extra use case: this could open the door for a lot of refactoring options. Select a part of the text and do something with it, like generating small pieces of code.

Posted by Matt Baker on 02-Apr-2015 09:28

If you're not afraid of writing a bit of java code, or could con someone into doing it for you, you might be able to learn something from the KSVPlugin which does this second item.  

www.oehive.org/.../KsvPlugin

Adding stuff to eclipse isn't hard, and there are lots and lots of tutorials on the web if you want to get your hands dirty.

Posted by OctavioOlguin on 02-Apr-2015 11:51

Where to?

to get datadigger... once ago I tried it, but now, if you could attach to pdsoe, it makes double interesting...

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 02-Apr-2015 12:25

www.oehive.org/.../DataDigger  Always try OE Hive!

Posted by Patrick Tingen on 03-Apr-2015 07:16

As Thomas mentioned, get DataDigger from the Hive and add it to PDS via OpenEdge > Tools > Customization Editor

Copy the file DataDigger.ico from the images folder of DataDigger to 
D:\dlc114\oeide\eclipse\plugins\com.openedge.pdt.extensibility.user_1.0.0\icons

Then fill in the Action details:

And start Diggin' 

This thread is closed