Strict mode for the ABL Compiler - Community input is reques

Posted by Evan Bleicher on 20-Mar-2015 15:12

Over many years and many Info Exchanges, the OpenEdge community has requested improvements to the ABL Compiler. Product Management has requested that Development evaluate the addition of a “strict” option to the COMPILE statement. I would like to solicit your input on this improvement.

I will assert that the “strict” mode on the compiler would instruct the compiler to generate an error if any of the set of conditions is encountered. So, which specific actions would you want to see in a COMPILE “strict” mode? Several actions for your consideration:

(1)    Disallow the use of abbreviations for all ABL keywords. For example: DEF VAR iCnt AS INT. would no longer compile when using the compiler’s strict mode.

(2)    Disallow the use of abbreviations for database objects. For example, the compiler would no longer allow a program to use the shortest unique identifier for a field in a table.

(3)    Require all database references to be fully qualified, database.table.field.

(4)    Identify all unreferenced variables and properties.

(5)    Identify any code section which cannot be executed.

(6)    Identify if a user-defined function or non-void method does not contain a RETURN statement. Do you expect the Compiler to perform code path analysis and therefore confirm that ALL code paths have a RETURN statement?

(7)    Other scenarios?

For whatever set of tests we conclude constituting strict mode compilation, do you want the ability to choose the specific set of tests you want the compiler to enforce? Do you want a ‘enforce all’ option? If we added additional checks in future releases would it be acceptable if the ‘enforce all’ executed more choices in a future release?

Any other thoughts you have on this change are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Evan Bleicher

All Replies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 20-Mar-2015 15:26

Hi Evan,

I would prefer to be able to turn options on our of individually.

I welcome all the rules you suggested. But I see no value in qualifying all table/files references with a database name.

The rule that really helps a lot is the one for abbreviated db object names. As this causes a ticking time bomb with static access to OO code. By allowing to use the rules as needed the barrier to use individual rules as needed gets lower.

Unused variables should generate optionally a warning, not an error. Otherwise I see hard times coming while actually starting to write a program or in the middle of a refactoring task. As your might not be able to execute intermediate results - which would be the result of an error instead.

Von meinem Windows Phone gesendet

Von: Evan Bleicher
Gesendet: ‎20.‎03.‎2015 21:13
An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Betreff: [Technical Users - OE Development] Strict mode for the ABL Compiler - Community input is requested

Thread created by Evan Bleicher

Over many years and many Info Exchanges, the OpenEdge community has requested improvements to the ABL Compiler. Product Management has requested that Development evaluate the addition of a “strict” option to the COMPILE statement. I would like to solicit your input on this improvement.

I will assert that the “strict” mode on the compiler would instruct the compiler to generate an error if any of the set of conditions is encountered. So, which specific actions would you want to see in a COMPILE “strict” mode? Several actions for your consideration:

(1)    Disallow the use of abbreviations for all ABL keywords. For example: DEF VAR iCnt AS INT. would no longer compile when using the compiler’s strict mode.

(2)    Disallow the use of abbreviations for database objects. For example, the compiler would no longer allow a program to use the shortest unique identifier for a field in a table.

(3)    Require all database references to be fully qualified, database.table.field.

(6)    Identify if a user-defined function or non-void method does not contain a RETURN statement. Do you expect the Compiler to perform code path analysis and therefore confirm that ALL code paths have a RETURN statement?

(7)    Other scenarios?

For whatever set of tests we conclude constituting strict mode compilation, do you want the ability to choose the specific set of tests you want the compiler to enforce? Do you want a ‘enforce all’ option? If we added additional checks in future releases would it be acceptable if the ‘enforce all’ executed more choices in a future release?

Thanks
Evan Bleicher

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 20-Mar-2015 15:29

I definitely would not want #3.  I have the opposite standard whenever possible of never qualifying if possible so that I don't have to muck around with aliases.  I think you would find the feature much more popular if people could turn on and off individual features.  I think, for example, that there would be [misguided] people who would want to abbreviate keywords, but not database objects.

But, hey, bring it on!

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 20-Mar-2015 15:39

Mike, I think you raise a couple of important points.  One is that one would not want this to make development awkward.  The other is that one might want the option for the whole think to be a warning or fatal.  Perhaps each option could be 0, 1, or 2 for Ignore, Warning, Error?

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 20-Mar-2015 15:49

Hi.

1.       Do it.

2.       Do it.

3.       Maybe extra strict mode?

4.       Do it.

5.       Doesn’t it do that already?

6.       Do it.  No.

7.       What Mike Fechner said.

Could it like logging-level where one could control the amount of strictness?

Jeff Ledbetter

[collapse]
From: Evan Bleicher [mailto:bounce-bleicher@community.progress.com]
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2015 3:13 PM
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - OE Development] Strict mode for the ABL Compiler - Community input is requested

(7)    Other scenarios?

Thanks
Evan Bleicher

[/collapse]

Posted by ChUIMonster on 20-Mar-2015 15:51

[collapse]On 3/20/15 4:13 PM, Evan Bleicher wrote:

Yes.

Yes.

I'm not sure I would ever use it but it might be useful to someone else.

Yes.

Yes.

(6)    Identify if a user-defined function or non-void method does not contain a RETURN statement.

Yes.

Do you expect the Compiler to perform code path analysis and therefore confirm that ALL code paths have a RETURN statement?

I think so.  But maybe I am missing some subtlety?

(7)    Other scenarios?

For whatever set of tests we conclude constituting strict mode compilation, do you want the ability to choose the specific set of tests you want the compiler to enforce?

Yes.

Do you want a ‘enforce all’ option?

If you do that an "except" option would be useful -- i.e. "all except #3"

If we added additional checks in future releases would it be acceptable if the ‘enforce all’ executed more choices in a future release?

If "Except" exists that would be reasonable.

Warnings about implicit type casting might be useful.

Warn about missing NO-LOCK, SHARE-LOCK, EXCLUSIVE-LOCK.

Warn about missing NO-UNDO.  (And add an explicit UNDO so that you can actually declare a variable UNDO if you actually want that behavior.)

Some people strongly prefer that EQ, NE, LT, GT be used rather than "=", "<>" etc.  That would be a good warning to have.

Flag keywords in CAPS.

Flag hungarian notation.

Thanks
Evan Bleicher

-- 
Tom Bascom
603 396 4886
tom@greenfieldtech.com
[/collapse]

Posted by Mike Fechner on 20-Mar-2015 16:01

Agree with the Dr.!

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 20.03.2015 um 21:40 schrieb Thomas Mercer-Hursh <bounce-tamhas@community.progress.com>:

Reply by Thomas Mercer-Hursh

Mike, I think you raise a couple of important points.  One is that one would not want this to make development awkward.  The other is that one might want the option for the whole think to be a warning or fatal.  Perhaps each option could be 0, 1, or 2 for Ignore, Warning, Error?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 20-Mar-2015 16:07

Now, now, Tom, your last two are going a bit beyond the intent ...

Posted by Mike Fechner on 20-Mar-2015 16:12

Tom's last ones are certainly wrong :-).

Tom, I'll promise to have lots of sample code with 100% keywords following the CAPS docu standard and hungarian in all my PUG Challenge Americas presentations....

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 20.03.2015 um 22:08 schrieb Thomas Mercer-Hursh <bounce-tamhas@community.progress.com>:

Now, now, Tom, your last two are going a bit beyond the intent ...

Posted by ChUIMonster on 20-Mar-2015 16:22

My eyes!!!! I'm blind!!!! Arggggg!!!!

Posted by bronco on 20-Mar-2015 16:26

I would say: make a compiler option which let's you specify a file which contains the options you want to be strict on (JSON PLEASE). You'll never get consensus on what to put in and what to leave out. If strict mode would force #3, I would not use it at all, for example.

Posted by Evan Bleicher on 20-Mar-2015 16:43

Thank you all for your energetic and quick input on this topic.  I will assert that we will not move forward with #3.  The development team will need to design an extensible capability and your input on this topic has been very helpful.

Posted by rayherring on 20-Mar-2015 17:37

I like the idea of all of it except for #3.

Our web-broker/web-agents are linked to 3 databases in total (main, pse, and an images one), and while yes under this scenario it does mean all 3 have the same system tables, they never have the same user tables.

One idea for #3 is if you could change it on a per-user basis. Some people might like it being 'database.table.field', I personally would prefer 'table.field', while others may not want it at all.

I know i've been burned a few times in our application where a previous developer chose not to reference everything by 'table.field' and then I've gone in and added a temp-table to that particular .p file (or maybe to a .i file that is referenced by the .p file), then gone to compile it and had to go through the file and fix up every error that pops up where it can't determine whether it should be the database table or temp-table.

One thing though, I'm not really sure 'strict' is going to benefit me in anyway except on the live system anyway, since in development I use AppBuilder in remote-editing/remote-compiling mode.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 20-Mar-2015 23:06

[quote user="Evan Bleicher"]

[/quote]

The bolded part is an absolute requirement - that's not an option. 

I'd also suggest either 

1. put the compile spec in a file cited by the COMPILE statement ala LIST and DEBUG-LIST (ie COMPILE STRICT=VALUE("filename")
  2. or having a class that's passed to the COMPILE statement  (ie COMPILE FileName STRICT=StrictnessObject)

so compile strictness can be controlled on a per-file basis. 

Posted by Marian Edu on 21-Mar-2015 01:18

Evan, great initiative... with all those ideas floating around guess will end-up a mix between compiler and tooling features.

For me 'strict' means more something like 'all warnings are errors' but then we need to spot the warnings that have the most potential to be actual errors. What I would like to see implemented is more the 'compliance level' so if I need to make sure the code will compile in V9 just set that in project settings... that will ease the pain for some of the ISV's out there.

Ah, strict should flag as error all usage of deprecated keywords (tooling support so we can use @deprecated annotation in frameworks will be a nice addition), if you can find possible leaks on memptr/handles (com, sax, sockets) would be great.

And while you're at it... something I've loved from Larry's talk about perl 6, aim for awesome error messages :)

Guess those are the kind of messages that points to a solution instead of just the error, check-out user reports on 'less than awesome error message'.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 21-Mar-2015 07:37

[collapse]On 3/21/15 2:18 AM, Marian Edu wrote:

... so if I need to make sure the code will compile in V9 just set that in project settings... that will ease the pain for some of the ISV's out there.

Excellent suggestion.  I'd *really* like to be able to do that.  It would greatly ease the pain of supporting multiple releases.

Ah, strict should flag as error all usage of deprecated keywords (tooling support so we can use @deprecated annotation in frameworks will be a nice addition), if you can find possible leaks on memptr/handles (com, sax, sockets) would be great.

Also a very good suggestion.

In a related vein:

Report all instances where a buffer is being "borrowed" by an internal procedure or function.  i.e.

/* test.p
 */

procedure silly:

find first customer.

end.

find last customer no-lock.

run silly.

display name.

/* this should also throw warnings for lack of LOCK type and lack of RETURN statements ;) */

And while you're at it... something I've loved from Larry's talk about perl 6, aim for awesome error messages :)

Guess those are the kind of messages that points to a solution instead of just the error, check-out user reports on 'less than awesome error message'.

For instance...  all of the places where DEBUG-LIST line numbers are reported... it would be *really* helpful if you also reported the source line#.

-- 
Tom Bascom
603 396 4886
tom@greenfieldtech.com
[/collapse]

Posted by James Palmer on 21-Mar-2015 11:32

For me 1,2,4,5 are definitely needed. 3 would make sense in my specific scenario but I could see scenarios where this would be overkill.

James Palmer | Application Developer
Tel: 01253 785103

[collapse] From: Evan Bleicher
Sent: ‎20/‎03/‎2015 20:13
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - OE Development] Strict mode for the ABL Compiler - Community input is requested

(7)    Other scenarios?

Thanks
Evan Bleicher

This email has been scanned for email related threats and delivered safely by Mimecast.
For more information please visit http://www.mimecast.com
[/collapse]

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 21-Mar-2015 11:40

Not just overkill, but positively not wanted!

Posted by ske on 21-Mar-2015 12:19

How about adding a new ABL statement to each source file, detailing what features should be strict or not, in that particular file, rather than having to specify it in the COMPILE statement. That way you know that each file will always be compiled with the specific settings relevant for that file. When specifiying the settings in the COMPILE statement, you can count on people making mistakes and mixing files up, or forgetting to specify them. What language features are expected in the souce code is a setting that belongs in that source code. Just like e.g HTML pages specify which version of HTML they use.

The COMPILE statement could still have the possibility to specify some checks, but only meant for those source files that don't yet contain their own setting for this. The COMPILE statement could also still have a setting for exactly how severely you want it to treat transgressions to the currently requested feature settings.

The settings in each file might also include a setting for which version of ABL is being used, in stead of the "keyword forget" startup option and other compatibility options.

A project setting might insert a default for this settings statement in each newly created file. Or just control default settings to the COMPILE statement for those files that don't have their own settings.

Having a setting for the ABL version (or settings for specific language features), it might even become possible to introduce non-backwards compatible changes to new versions of ABL, without breaking old source code. If the old source code is already marked with the version it was written for, it could still conform to the old interpratation of the code, and not change until this setting is explicitly updated in that file.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 21-Mar-2015 12:36

I can't see having to modify every source file to add specifications, especially since the specifications will normally be a shop standard and thus should apply universally.  As noted, I can see the option for ignore, warning, or error on any given standard so that a shop can, for example, decide that they are going to fix a particular thing when they have the time, but want to be able to ignore it if they are in a hurry.  I can, however, see a role for annotations so that one can mark lines as exceptions to be preserved without error.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 21-Mar-2015 13:08

Once more I agree with the Dr.

Von: Thomas Mercer-Hursh
Gesendet: ‎21.‎03.‎2015 18:36
Betreff: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] Strict mode for the ABL Compiler - Community input is requested

I can't see having to modify every source file to add specifications, especially since the specifications will normally be a shop standard and thus should apply universally.  As noted, I can see the option for ignore, warning, or error on any given standard so that a shop can, for example, decide that they are going to fix a particular thing when they have the time, but want to be able to ignore it if they are in a hurry.  I can, however, see a role for annotations so that one can mark lines as exceptions to be preserved without error.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 21-Mar-2015 13:21

This is getting shocking! :)

Posted by ske on 21-Mar-2015 13:25

If you have a default, you only need to mark the files that are exceptions.

Remember also that each "shop" may not want to enforce every possible check in their shop standard (we heard many different responses to who wanted which features), so all other settings may still be up for individual choice in each file. I'm also thinking we could extend this to many other settings than just checking "strict" language standards, and some of these would perhaps not be included in a shop standard, but in stead vary between files depending on their needs. And even if you have shop standards, you may still often import a couple of files from other sources, which use their own standard, so you may still want to be able to specify this on a finer level than just one single shop standard globally for all files.

And my thinking was also that you could use this for instance when migrating from using one ABL feature set to other incompatible ones (in the future, for instance changing which kinds of names should be matched first, and other things that have been kept in ABL over the years just for backwards compatibility, which this would finally give us a way to change to more moderns needs without breaking old code), and then you would activate this feature in only the files you have migrated so far, and not in other files that have not yet been migrated (or don't need migrating at all, since you can just leave them using their old feature set). Or even, just when "migrating" into using strict settings, you could have great use of being able to mark which files have already been adapted to work with these strict settings, and which have not yet been adapted and will fail when compiled that way...

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 21-Mar-2015 13:36

Exceptions are what I want the annotations for ... like ProLint where one can annotate that a particular standard violation should not be reported for the following line.

To be sure, I can see having one standard to compile for production and another standard for compile for development, the latter being strict for anything that one is going to touch and the former being loose because there is a bunch of stuff in existing code which one is not ready to clean up yet.

But, it does seem to me that the whole point is to establish a shop standard ... not a hodge-podge file by file whimsey.  If one is "too busy" to make everything right, the select the option to generate warnings instead of errors and just ignore them.

BTW, Evan, I would welcome a parallel thread on improvements to make in COMPILE LIST and XREF!

Posted by Mike Fechner on 21-Mar-2015 14:12

Another optional rule set: UNIX compatibility of source.

- forward slashes only for run statements and include file references
- exact casing for class names, include file references and I'd the compiler has a chance to test this also run statements.
- no .NET class access for some files (AppServer code)

Should again be optionally errors or warnings.

Should be defined in a project by project level in PDSOE

Von: Thomas Mercer-Hursh
Gesendet: ‎21.‎03.‎2015 19:37
Betreff: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] Strict mode for the ABL Compiler - Community input is requested

Exceptions are what I want the annotations for ... like ProLint where one can annotate that a particular standard violation should not be reported for the following line.

To be sure, I can see having one standard to compile for production and another standard for compile for development, the latter being strict for anything that one is going to touch and the former being loose because there is a bunch of stuff in existing code which one is not ready to clean up yet.

But, it does seem to me that the whole point is to establish a shop standard ... not a hodge-podge file by file whimsey.  If one is "too busy" to make everything right, the select the option to generate warnings instead of errors and just ignore them.

BTW, Evan, I would welcome a parallel thread on improvements to make in COMPILE LIST and XREF!

Posted by ChUIMonster on 22-Mar-2015 07:13

Excellent suggestions.

[collapse]On 3/21/15 3:13 PM, Mike Fechner wrote:
Reply by Mike Fechner
Another optional rule set: UNIX compatibility of source.

- forward slashes only for run statements and include file references
- exact casing for class names, include file references and I'd the compiler has a chance to test this also run statements.
- no .NET class access for some files (AppServer code)

-- 
Tom Bascom
603 396 4886
tom@greenfieldtech.com
[/collapse]

Posted by S33 on 23-Mar-2015 09:14

It seems like none of us agree completely, so I would say the best approach is to make each of those items individually selectable. And some items should be furhter refinable as warnings -vs- errors.

I would NEVER want #1. I tell my customers I'm paid to think, not to type :-)

#2 is my favorite, but obviously might break a lot of legacy code.

#3 sounds bad.

#4-5 should be warnings

#6, to be honest i don't understand the ramifications.

@Tom -- I would propose a switch that automatically converts UPPER CASE keywords to lower case at the same time it chopped off the meaningless INE ARIABLE and HARACTER fragments   :-)     I think there's a market for a configurable editor here.

Posted by Evan Bleicher on 23-Mar-2015 16:41

Garry Hall created the XREF forum thread.  It can be found here:  community.progress.com/.../16757.aspx

Posted by Simon L. Prinsloo on 24-Mar-2015 01:01

First off, the implementation.

I would prefer that these be set

• session wide on the COMPILER handle, rather than amending the syntax of the COMPILE statement.
  • a startup parameter can be used to set the defaults
  • The ability to mark an option as Error, Warning or Off as per the doctor's suggestion, to which Mike agrees!

The pattern I have in mind is similar to what we have with LOG-MANAGER:LOG-ENTRY-TYPES.

Examples:

-compilerOptions "DatabaseObjectAbbreviation:2,Deprecated:1,MissingReturn:2"

COMPILER:OPTIONS = "UnusedVariables:2"

It would be handy to have a method to append/update the list, e.g. in a session with

-compileOptions "EnableAll:3"

COMPILER:SET-OPTIONS("UnreachableCode:1,UnusedVariables:0")

Will update the entry for UnreachableCode to be a warning only and remove the Unused variables option.

1. Abbreviated keywords: Bad style that does not introduce significant risk. Eclipse editor keyword expansion is sufficient.

2. Abbreviated database objects: Yes, please! Kill this ticking time bomb!

3. Fully qualified database references: NO! This introduces more work with no gain. The compile fail in any case if there is ambiguity.

4. Identify unreferenced variables and properties: Variables - YES, Properties? NO! How will you know? The object may be a complex data container used to pass as parameter.... Unless the SET (or GET) is PRIVATE with no initial value.

5. Identify unreachable code: The compiler does this already...

6. Methods and functions without a RETURN: Yes, by nature all code paths should return something, unless an error is thrown, of course.

7. Other: 

• Buffer-Field names to be qualified with the buffer name.
  • Warning when the global procedure/class buffer is used, unless an annotation on the procedure/class header signals the intend to use the global buffer.
  • Waning about use of deprecated constructs, including METHOD, CONSTRUCTOR, FUNCTION, and PROCEDURE directly preceded by @Deprecated([Message="Some helpful message of what to use instead"]).
  • Warning when a temp-table or variable is not explicitly defined as UNDO or NO-UNDO
  • Warning if a database buffer read with no explicit lock option will result in a SHARE-LOCK
  • Warning if a buffer's lock will downgrade to a SHARE-LOCK at the end of a transaction.

8 More Other

Two header keywords, with similar rules to BLOCK-LEVEL, ROUTINE-LEVEL and USING (e.g. at the top of t he file before any other statement):

OS-PORTABLE.

Compiler will only accept "~" as the escape character. Use of "\" (but not "~\"), .Net classes, EXTERNAL routines (*.dll or *.so) causes a compile error, unless the statement is annotated with @OSSafe(), for cases where the programmer handles OS-specific items, e.g. 

@OSSafe(TRUE).
IF OPSYS="UNIX"
THEN OS-COMMAND ~~/scripts/doInterface.sh.
ELSE OS-COMMAND VALUE(OS-GET-ENV("HOME") + "\batfiles\DoInterface.bat").
@OSSafe(FALSE).

UI-PORTABLE.

The compiler gives an error if the code contains any visual element, e.g. a frame, that is not portable across the UI. Special consideration is needed where output is opened to a stream (the STREM-IO frame option will most likely be key)  since it should be possible to run the following regardless of the UI environment used to compile:

vFile = SESSION:TEMP-DIRECTORY + "/" + GUID.
OUTPUT TO VALUE(vFile):
FOR EACH Customer WITH STREAM-IO:
    DISPLAY Customer.CustNum
            Customer.Name
            Customer.TelNo.
END.
OUTPUT CLOSE.

Finally

Mike already agreed with the Doctor twice in this thread. I fear that if it happens again, heaven will fall and we will all be walking around with blue caps!

Posted by Mike Fechner on 24-Mar-2015 01:20

Simon, be aware. Dr. and I in agreement and Tom agreed with me as well.... at least on one post!

You are in danger already, mate! Maybe the caps are orange?

Von: Simon L. Prinsloo
Gesendet: ‎24.‎03.‎2015 07:01

Reply by Simon L. Prinsloo

First off, the implementation.

I would prefer that these be set

• session wide on the COMPILER handle, rather than amending the syntax of the COMPILE statement.
  • a startup parameter can be used to set the defaults
  • The ability to mark an option as Error, Warning or Off as per the doctor's suggestion, to which Mike agrees!

The pattern I have in mind is similar to what we have with LOG-MANAGER:LOG-ENTRY-TYPES.

Examples:

-compilerOptions "DatabaseObjectAbbreviation:2,Deprecated:1,MissingReturn:2"

COMPILER:OPTIONS = "UnusedVariables:2"

It would be handy to have a method to append/update the list, e.g. in a session with

-compileOptions "EnableAll:3"

COMPILER:SET-OPTIONS("UnreachableCode:1,UnusedVariables:0")

Will update the entry for UnreachableCode to be a warning only and remove the Unused variables option.

1. Abbreviated keywords: Bad style that does not introduce significant risk. Eclipse editor keyword expansion is sufficient.

2. Abbreviated database objects: Yes, please! Kill this ticking time bomb!

3. Fully qualified database references: NO! This introduces more work with no gain. The compile fail in any case if there is ambiguity.

4. Identify unreferenced variables and properties: Variables - YES, Properties? NO! How will you know? The object may be a complex data container used to pass as parameter.... Unless the SET (or GET) is PRIVATE with no initial value.

5. Identify unreachable code: The compiler does this already...

6. Methods and functions without a RETURN: Yes, by nature all code paths should return something, unless an error is thrown, of course.

7. Other: 

• Buffer-Field names to be qualified with the buffer name.
  • Warning when the global procedure/class buffer is used, unless an annotation on the procedure/class header signals the intend to use the global buffer.
  • Waning about use of deprecated constructs, including METHOD, CONSTRUCTOR, FUNCTION, and PROCEDURE directly preceded by @Deprecated([Message="Some helpful message of what to use instead"]).
  • Warning when a temp-table or variable is not explicitly defined as UNDO or NO-UNDO
  • Warning if a database buffer read with no explicit lock option will result in a SHARE-LOCK
  • Warning if a buffer's lock will downgrade to a SHARE-LOCK at the end of a transaction.

8 More Other

Two header keywords, with similar rules to BLOCK-LEVEL, ROUTINE-LEVEL and USING (e.g. at the top of t he file before any other statement):

OS-PORTABLE.

Compiler will only accept "~" as the escape character. Use of "\" (but not "~\"), .Net classes, EXTERNAL routines (*.dll or *.so) causes a compile error, unless the statement is annotated with @OSSafe(), for cases where the programmer handles OS-specific items, e.g. 

@OSSafe(TRUE).
IF OPSYS="UNIX"
THEN OS-COMMAND ~~/scripts/doInterface.sh.
ELSE OS-COMMAND VALUE(OS-GET-ENV("HOME") + "\batfiles\DoInterface.bat").
@OSSafe(FALSE).

UI-PORTABLE.

The compiler gives an error if the code contains any visual element, e.g. a frame, that is not portable across the UI. Special consideration is needed where output is opened to a stream (the STREM-IO frame option will most likely be key)  since it should be possible to run the following regardless of the UI environment used to compile:

vFile = SESSION:TEMP-DIRECTORY + "/" + GUID.
OUTPUT TO VALUE(vFile):
FOR EACH Customer WITH STREAM-IO:
    DISPLAY Customer.CustNum
            Customer.Name
            Customer.TelNo.
END.
OUTPUT CLOSE.

Finally

Mike already agreed with the Doctor twice in this thread. I fear that if it happens again, heaven will fall and we will all be walking around with blue caps!

Posted by Simon L. Prinsloo on 24-Mar-2015 01:31

No, heaven is blue. If it falls on you, the cap will be blue. :-)

It comes from an Afrikaans saying: "As die hemel val, dan dra ons almal blou kappies!" (If heaven falls, then we all wear blue caps.)
It is used to respond to someone who is over analysing a situation for all sorts of unlikely possibilities which are of no consequence.

Posted by Marko Myllymäki on 24-Mar-2015 04:21

These are the most important options from my point of view:

2. Abbreviated database objects

7. Other:

Warning if a database buffer read with no explicit lock option will result in a SHARE-LOCK

Warning if a buffer's lock will downgrade to a SHARE-LOCK at the end of a transaction.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 24-Mar-2015 09:40

Nice list Simon!

While it is fun to joke about Mike and I agreeing, it is, of course, the case that we can only disagree as strongly on some points as we do, because we agree about so much else.  If there is real, universal disagreement, there is nothing to talk about.

Posted by Torben on 25-Mar-2015 04:02

We still use NO-ERROR and have problems with following situations:

1. Compile warning if no check of ERROR-STATUS after statement with NO-ERROR (Possible with list of statements where this would be allowed, fx FIND)

2. Compile error if ERROR-STATUS check without preceding statement with NO-ERROR

Posted by Piotr Ryszkiewicz on 22-Oct-2015 05:21

Hello,

I just have been noticed about this old topic. Very interesting idea, I am just surprised that almost no one wants #3. This, together with #2, is what I like most from that list - except that with option to enforce just table.field, not database.table.field.

Now, why I need it:

- when table name is not specified you will get stupid errors when someone will add a variable with the name equal to DB field later.

- if you have a lot of tables with the same field name compilation of the source without table name takes quite a long of time. We have cases when compilation of single line takes over 10 seconds.

Regards,

Piotr

Posted by Lars Neumeier on 22-Oct-2015 07:56

Hello,

STRICT mode should just disable all the compiler "auto insertion" like:

{include-name.i "parameter}

-> Compile error missing "

2. functions without parenthesis,

FUNCTION myname RETURNS char:

-> Compile error missing ()

3. Autoclosing opened blocks at the end of a file -> Compile error missing END

Other stuff:

1. No proper end statement

2. missing return statement

3. keyword abbreviation

4. field use without table name

5. unused variables

6. unused parameters

7. linux/windows path checking

8. CaseSensitive would be great for functions, methods, variables etc.

9. Duplicate variable name (global and local variables in a block)

Posted by Patrick Tingen on 16-Nov-2015 07:55

I as well have been notified of this thread so Piotr, you are not alone :)

But I agree on the generic opinion in this thread about #3. In the past it has given me more trouble than relief so I would definitely not use it. Even stronger: when I refactor a source that contains database references, I strip them. We are working in an environment that formerly had several databases. Over time, we have merged some of the smaller ones into one custom database. It is /so/ convenient that you just have to recompile the sources and not have to alter them all to change the database, or have to create an alias.

I like the idea of having this as general settings for the client, possibly set at high level in DevStudio, with the possibility to override on project level and even on source level. The latter could very well be done with annotations.

It would also be great to have a setting that warns for the unuseful usage of the keywork RELEASE. In our code it seems like nobody understands a ^#$ from buffer scoping (not a surprise if you never use named buffers) so it is RELEASE statements all over the place.

A good option would be to have an option to set a limited scope for buffers. If you refer to an unnamed buffer in an internal procedure, it automatically scopes to the whole .p. This should really be only to the enclosing internal procedure / function.

Posted by Riverside Software on 03-Mar-2016 15:11

On top of Lars comment about "Autoclosing opened blocks at the end of a file -> Compile error missing END", I've found this code recently :

define public property Height as int

get ():

return 0.

end set. /* Should be end get */

Was surprised to see that it compiles without any problem, but still something which shouldn't be accepted by the compiler.

Posted by Fernando Souza on 03-Mar-2016 15:25

That I think is a bug so you should report it to technical support.

Posted by Peter Judge on 03-Mar-2016 15:26

There are quite a few of these. PSC00236790 is

METHOD Foo():
  IF someCondition THEN
    Message 'ja'.
  Else
END.

Posted by Marian Edu on 04-Mar-2016 04:03

I can almost feel Gilles pain, the language is way to ambiguous and things won't probably get better as backward compatibility reigns :(

If any of those ever gets implemented I would really like the 'use strict' annotation at file level much as in javascript... something that is ignored by previous versions and used to switch the compiler in strict mode what a file with that annotation is compiled. That way one can 'catch-up' in time, a compiler flag to compile the whole codebase will probably just make too many nervous :)

As for warnings those have little to do with strict mode, even more if someone has an option to decide what to be ignored... this can well be added in the tooling (psdoe) and can be displayed as warnings even if not in strict mode (unless the developer/team choose to ignore particular warnings for reasons that they know better).

However, if 'use strict' annotation is set in a file there should be no option to fake that by 'cherry picking' the rules... is that too much for one, just remove the annotation and keep that on the todo list for later :)

Bref, the error conditions for strict mode might not be that long and have nothing to do with code formatting/case used for keywords, abbreviations and other things that might be nice to be reported as 'code style warnings'... there is still room for a 'lint' tool to help with those kind of things.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 04-Mar-2016 04:38

Did you report this to Tech Support so a bug could be logged?

This thread is closed