Copy GUI for .NET form data to a web form

Posted by danielStafford on 19-Mar-2015 08:13

How can I copy data (several 'fields' at once) from a GUI for .NET form (customer record) to a web page / form? I've looked at screen scraping and copy / paste solutions but haven't found anything yet.

All Replies

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 19-Mar-2015 08:33

Daniel,

Can you provide more information? 

- Who is/will be doing the screen scraping? 
- Is it a web browser based app that wants to pull the data from the GUI for .NET form?
- Is the GUI for .NET application controlling the web browser?

Thanks, Brian

Posted by danielStafford on 19-Mar-2015 09:05

Thanks for the reply Brian.

An end-user of my software will locate a customer record in the database and display it in a .Net form. They will then bring up a (.gov) web page in a separate process (Chrome / Safari / Firefox) and manually copy the data fields from the .Net form to similar fields (customer last name, first name, MI, etc) in the web form. The GUI for .NET application is not controlling the web browser.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 19-Mar-2015 09:12

So you are wanting some kind of external application that automates the transfer of the data from the .NET form to the web browser?

Posted by ntwatkins on 19-Mar-2015 10:09

It is usually not possible, or desirable from a security perspective, to have a desktop application interface directly with a browser application.  The browser typically works within a sandbox and access outside of that sandbox is typically restricted.

This being said, you have some options to communicate indirectly between the desktop application and browser application.  You could use web services to send the information between the two applications.  Another option would be to use web sockets or node.js to send messages between the two.  Of course, you would need to be able to change the browser application in order to do any of this communication.  If that is not possible, you are going to be severely limited in options.

Posted by danielStafford on 19-Mar-2015 10:21

The browser application is secure and unavailable for modification. No API exists.

Auto-filling web forms is widely used these days. I was hoping for an external application that would extend this capability and capture form control data, and auto-fill a known-layout web form.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 19-Mar-2015 10:31

Look at any of the GUI automated testing tools that are out there.  I would think they have the ability to create a standalone app that would grab the data from the .NET form and paste it into the web app.  I used one many, many years ago that generated .exe files.

Posted by ntwatkins on 19-Mar-2015 11:51

A quick Google search turned up an application called WinAutomation that sounds like it may do what you need.

Posted by danielStafford on 20-Mar-2015 07:57

Thanks all.

My solution is to present the end-user with a 2d barcode of the information needed to complete the web form, use a barcode reader that will parse the data (adding tab keys, etc) that is encoded in the barcode. This way the process can be done in the same or different sessions (print the barcode).

This thread is closed