Need help on printing Japanese, Chinese characters using pdf

Posted by vpandura on 19-Mar-2015 01:46

Hello Everyone,

We are using pdfinclude for generating pdf and currently we are able to print special characters of Eastern Europe languages like Polish, French etc. We use ISO8859-1 & ISO8859-2 code pages for the printing.

We now have a requirement to print Asian languages like Japanese, Chinese etc.

We would like to know how to incorporate UTF-8 encoding, which supports all languages. We also tried using UTF-8 but it did not print them correctly.

Please guide us on this.

Regards,

Vinay

All Replies

Posted by Jean Richert on 19-Mar-2015 07:08

By far I'm not an I18N expert but OpenEdge handles these code pages correctly. Just in case, this is the link to our OE11.5 internationalization documentation documentation.progress.com/.../openedge115... Could be handy.

However as you're using pdfinclude which is 3rd part product, we can't really tell you if it's going to generate proper PDFs with Asian languages code-pages.

Posted by Paul Clare on 20-Mar-2015 10:55

Hi Vinay,

I’m not too familiar with pdfinclude, but I would recommend the UTF-8 client in OpenEdge 10 and above (-cpinternal UTF-8).  You won’t be able to use iso8859-1 or is8859-2 with Asian languages.  With the UTF-8 client you can define UTF-8 characters in the ABL (using the integer representation of the UTF-8 hex value) with the CHR function.  See article 000010671.  This shows you how to display Chinese cp936 characters from characters defined with UTF-8 values.

Regards,

Paul.

[collapse]
From: vpandura [mailto:bounce-vpandura@community.progress.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2015 6:47 AM
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - OE Development] Need help on printing Japanese, Chinese characters using pdfinclude

Thread created by vpandura

Hello Everyone,

We are using pdfinclude for generating pdf and currently we are able to print special characters of Eastern Europe languages like Polish, French etc. We use ISO8859-1 & ISO8859-2 code pages for the printing.

We now have a requirement to print Asian languages like Japanese, Chinese etc.

We would like to know how to incorporate UTF-8 encoding, which supports all languages. We also tried using UTF-8 but it did not print them correctly.

Please guide us on this.

Regards,

Vinay

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

This thread is closed