Need help on printing Japanese, Chinese characters using pdf

Posted by vpandura on 19-Mar-2015 01:46

Hello Everyone,

We are using pdfinclude for generating pdf and currently we are able to print special characters of Eastern Europe languages like Polish, French etc. We use ISO8859-1 & ISO8859-2 code pages for the printing.

We now have a requirement to print Asian languages like Japanese, Chinese etc.

We would like to know how to incorporate UTF-8 encoding, which supports all languages. We also tried using UTF-8 but it did not print them correctly.

Please guide us on this.

Regards,

Vinay

All Replies

Posted by Jean Richert on 19-Mar-2015 07:08

By far I'm not an I18N expert but OpenEdge handles these code pages correctly. Just in case, this is the link to our OE11.5 internationalization documentation documentation.progress.com/.../openedge115... Could be handy.

However as you're using pdfinclude which is 3rd part product, we can't really tell you if it's going to generate proper PDFs with Asian languages code-pages.

Posted by Paul Clare on 20-Mar-2015 10:55

Hi Vinay,

I’m not too familiar with pdfinclude, but I would recommend the UTF-8 client in OpenEdge 10 and above (-cpinternal UTF-8).  You won’t be able to use iso8859-1 or is8859-2 with Asian languages.  With the UTF-8 client you can define UTF-8 characters in the ABL (using the integer representation of the UTF-8 hex value) with the CHR function.  See article 000010671.  This shows you how to display Chinese cp936 characters from characters defined with UTF-8 values.

Regards,

Paul.

[collapse]