More decimals as expected in EXPORT statement

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 23-Jan-2015 06:54

Hello!

For sql replication I use first dbtool to fix sql widths (hopefully PSC will create a auto fix width option) and then run a simple EXPORT on every changed record/table.

This is the definition of one field: SQL schema:

(Pro SQL) decimal(19,4) DEFAULT 0 null
ABL schema: Decimal, deci-4 / ->>>,>>>,>>>,>>9.9999

The result of the export is: 25811,19999, It should be 25811,2000

Why there is one digit too much in the database?

All Replies

Posted by Fernando Souza on 26-Jan-2015 11:02

EXPORT ignores format, as documented. The data that is exported is the data that as is in the database, so the data made into the database. Were the definitions changed at some point?

Posted by TheMadDBA on 26-Jan-2015 11:10

That sounds like the likely issue Fernando.

Stefan: What does it look like in the ABL/4GL when you override the format to show more decimal places?

Like ->>>,>>>,>>>,>>9.99999999

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 27-Jan-2015 02:40

Why it's possible to store more than 4 decimals as defined for the field?

The question is: Shouldn't it be rounded by the database?

"Were the definitions changed at some point": I don't know I got the DB "as is".

Posted by Tjerk Coomans on 27-Jan-2015 02:57

This is because it's not the field format but the 'Default Display' format.

There is no option to define  the field format in the OpenEdge Database for the ABL.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 27-Jan-2015 10:02

Note that there is a Decimals property of the field.  What does that say.   That controls the storage.

Posted by Fernando Souza on 27-Jan-2015 10:31

The reason I asked if the schema changed at some point is that the data that is already in the db will not be changed if you change the 'decimals' value of a field. The next time you update that field, then we will round it. While the data is in the db, it will not be changed. So you could write ABL code that updates the field and it will get rounded based on the current field definitions.

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 28-Jan-2015 04:15

I had the same idea and asked the developer, reply: No, only the display format changed a few years ago.,

Do I really need the historical schema knowledge of the database to be sure having other data (decimals) in fields as expected?

Why this isn't updated by the database itself? Or during running dbtool which fixes length errors?

I opened a case at PSC to discuss these questions.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 28-Jan-2015 09:35

Do the abbreviations in your initial post mean that the Decimals property of the field is set to 4?  If it is set to a higher value, that is the complete explanation.   If it is set to 4, but previously was set to something more, that would also explain it.  No, it isn't that you should need to know the schema history, but it means that when it was changed, actions should have been taken to update the data so that one wouldn't get these surprises later.

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 28-Jan-2015 09:51

Yes. it's set to 4, development told me that there is no known change. (only the display format)

1.) it's a bug, rounding problem (,19999 instead of ,2)

2.) it was changed and nobody knows

I would like that dbtool would report/fix "problems" like this

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 28-Jan-2015 11:12

What was the change in the display format?   Did it involve showing a different number of decimals?

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 29-Jan-2015 02:10

I have the df only, I don't know how it was before.

UPDATE FIELD "xx OF "xx"

FORMAT "->>>,>>>,>>>,>>9.9999"

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 29-Jan-2015 09:30

The reason for asking is that one would tend to expect that a change in format to the right of the decimal point would be associated with a change in Decimals.  There are exceptions, e.g., keeping data to four digits but displaying two by default.  But, in general ...

This thread is closed