view frame takes 10-15s (or more)

Posted by peggycole on 14-Jan-2015 08:42

One of our customers has the problem that at the "view frame <frame-name>" statement the session hangs for 10-15 seconds. Not always but very often. We use this statement at several places in our code and it is at all those places that the problem occurs.

We have a standard application with same set up at several customers without any problem but here it is happening every 5 minutes.

All users at this site works with  a Dell Optiplex 390 with Windows 7, openedge 10.2B sp 7 hot fix 10

Anyone experience with this problem?

All Replies

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 14-Jan-2015 08:47

What happens if the user immediately presses the space bar?

[collapse]
From: peggycole [mailto:bounce-peggycole@community.progress.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 9:43 AM
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - OE Development] view frame takes 15s (or more)

Thread created by peggycole

One of our customers has the problem that at the "view frame <frame-name>" statement the session hangs for 10-15 seconds. Not always but very often. We use this statement at several places in our code and it is at all those places that the problem occurs.

We have a standard application with same set up at several customers without any problem but here it is happening every 5 minutes.

All users at this site works with  a Dell Optiplex 390 with Windows 7, openedge 10.2B sp 7 hot fix 10

Anyone experience with this problem?

Posted by peggycole on 14-Jan-2015 09:09

We just did the test with the space bar but unfortunately no difference ... Thanks for the suggestion!

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 14-Jan-2015 09:15

Okay .. what is different between that customers machines and your other customers?  When did the problem start happening?

Posted by peggycole on 14-Jan-2015 09:31

The problem start happening 6 weeks ago, the moment they started to use our application

The biggest difference between this one and the others is that this one works with Dell-machines and all the others with HP-desktops. We already updated the drivers of the graphical card today but the problem stays ...

Posted by chlongo on 14-Jan-2015 10:18

I wonder if you might be conditionally executing a PAUSE n BEFORE-HIDE Statement somewhere in your code base?

Posted by Gunnar.Vogt on 14-Jan-2015 11:06

In my experience random waits are often linked to network resource problems. Since a frame shows a number of widgets these widgets may need access to a network resource which is not available at that moment. The OS may needs to figure that out in these 10-15 sec and may needs to reestablish a connection.

Why do you think it is linked to the hardware? Is a different setup at the same site working as it should?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 14-Jan-2015 11:10

Rather than poking in the dark, I think it would help if you would tell us more about the configuration, user base, parameters, and any other measurements which you have observed.  E.g., are we talking workgroup with a multi-CPU host and the known issues there?   Are these ABL clients running on PCs or self-serve clients running on the host?  Etc., Etc.

Posted by peggycole on 20-Jan-2015 03:22

The ABL clients are running on PC's, r-files are local on the pc's, connection to the database via TCP

We added client logging to find out what's happening at the moment of the view frame but in sessions with the logging, the problem doesn't occur. Very weird and that makes it even more difficult.

Posted by peggycole on 20-Jan-2015 03:34

We can exclude my hardware theory. We took a PC from a customer without problems and put it into the new customers office. Also on this PC we can see the view frame hanging from time to time ...

About network: there were some network issues before and I can't say for sure that is not an issue anymore. We are investigating the network quite continuously the last week (although we are not the hardware supplier in this case) for latencies and so but so far no special things are seen the last week

Posted by peggycole on 20-Jan-2015 08:16

I'm in communication with Progress TechSupport now. If someone is interested in the solution (once we have one) then I will be glad to share it :-)...

This thread is closed