OE11.4 How can I serialize/deserialize an object ?

Posted by cverbiest on 24-Dec-2014 08:03

OpenEdge 11.4 introduces serializable objects.

I've been searching the manual but I can't find which methods to use to serialize an object or how to create an object from it's serialized form.

All Replies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 24-Dec-2014 08:17

There are no methods required. Serialization magically happens accross the AppServer boundary between ABL client and AppServer.

But in order to store objects in a DB or pass them across other boundaries you should rely on the serialization provided by you framework vendor ...

Von meinem Windows Phone gesendet

Von: cverbiest
Gesendet: ‎24.‎12.‎2014 15:04
An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Betreff: [Technical Users - OE Development] OE11.4 How can I serialize/deserialize an object ?

Thread created by cverbiest

OpenEdge 11.4 introduces serializable objects.

I've been searching the manual but I can't find which methods to use to serialize an object or how to create an object from it's serialized form.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 24-Dec-2014 09:42

I.e., there are no serialize/deserialize methods unless you write them or use a framework that provides them.  This is clearly on the wish list and I have some hope that, having gotten the automatic version for the AppServer boundary, we will get a manual version before long.  But, until then ...

Posted by cwiner on 24-Dec-2014 15:07

When you create a class that you want to send from a client to appserver (or appserver to client) make sure to use the SERIALIZABLE option on the CLASS statement.

CLASS classname SERIALIZABLE:
END.

[collapse]