Server sockets in ABL: what usages?

Posted by Peter Judge on 05-Dec-2014 08:51

If you are using server sockets (ie to receive requests from the Outside World), what kinds of things are you using them for? I'm mostly curious about the protocols you're using (http or ftp or whatever)

This doesn't cover using client sockets (for *making* requests to outside services).

Thanks,
-- peter

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 05-Dec-2014 09:36

One use I have made in the past was with the primary server inside a firewall and a small box outside the firewall where the small box was used for communication to and from an [extremely stupid] warehouse system and the small box and the primary server exchanged message traffic.

Posted by Peter Judge on 05-Dec-2014 09:44

Using a proprietary protocol?

And do you still need to do this?

-- peter

[collapse]
From: Thomas Mercer-Hursh [mailto:bounce-tamhas@community.progress.com]
Sent: Friday, 05 December, 2014 10:37
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] Server sockets in ABL: what usages?

Reply by Thomas Mercer-Hursh

One use I have made in the past was with the primary server inside a firewall and a small box outside the firewall where the small box was used for communication to and from an [extremely stupid] warehouse system and the small box and the primary server exchanged message traffic.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 05-Dec-2014 10:07

The customer in question was acquired by a much larger publisher, so the system is long since not in use.  Yes, as I recall, the message was proprietary and structured for the purpose.   Outbound we were sending picking slips and inbound they were shipping notices and inventory changes.

Posted by Marian Edu on 05-Dec-2014 11:57

Peter, writing a http/ftp server in 4gl makes little sense imho albeit we can say we share the same single-threaded model as node.js :)

Did wrote Ganimede (http://sf.net/p/ganimede) when sockets were made available in V9, proprietary protocol though... basically I find it much easy to have the message length stated upfront (long) then once everything is read the message gets processed, still this doesn't work well with streaming but not looking into streaming video from 4gl either.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 05-Dec-2014 15:42

To be sure, the application I referred to worked as well as it did because there was only the one other end point and the message frequency was not very high.  I'd hate to have to do anything very interesting without multi-threading.

This thread is closed