11.4 Slow Appserver Connections and NetBIOS support

Posted by ujj1 on 03-Nov-2014 09:08

Re: http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/000054959?q=11.4+netbios&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

(Connecting to AppServer is slow in OpenEdge 11.4, takes 3-5 seconds.)

I recently ran into this soon after installing 11.4 on a new machine on our network.  Pretty much every connection to the appserver was slow. One I disabled the NetBIOS setting (brkrNetbiosEnable=0), the connections are nice and fast.

Not sure why the default setting is "enabled".  If you notice slow appserver connections in 11.4, take a look at this setting and KB.

All Replies

Posted by Srinivas Munigala on 04-Nov-2014 00:53

To know the answer for "why the default setting is 'enabled'", please go through the following forum email:

community.progress.com/.../50217.aspx

Posted by Mike Fechner on 04-Nov-2014 01:42

Is that a link to an internal discussions?

Von: Srinivas Munigala [mailto:bounce-smunigal@community.progress.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 4. November 2014 07:54
An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Betreff: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] 11.4 Slow Appserver Connections and NetBIOS support

Reply by Srinivas Munigala

To know the answer for "why the default setting is 'enabled'", please go through the following forum email:

community.progress.com/.../50217.aspx

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by Srinivas Munigala on 04-Nov-2014 03:02

It is not an internal discussion. It is a forum discussion. Not sure, why you are unable to access it.

Here, I am copying the data:

There was a feature introduce in 11.1.0 to collect and log license information of the clients those are connecting to broker. Among all these information client machines IP Address and client machines HostName was there. As part of UBMsg client only sends machine's IP address and using this IP address we are extracting client machine's HostName. For this we have used some JAVA API that internally generates some netbio message between broker and client.

This was experienced by one of the customer during  use of  11.4 (CR-PSC00290849). As part of this bug fix we had put this switch in ubroker.properties file to avoid unnecessary netbios messages flow between broker and client, if the customer is not really concern about  using the license feature , then set the netio property value to zero (i.e. disable netbios) permanently.

If customer wants license feature and does not want netbios messages then , it is upto the user, if this property will be disable (i.e. set to zero) then in license log it will only dump client machine's IP address not machine name(i.e. HostName).

If the performance drop while connecting is detected, disable the new feature by changing the property value to zero and then restart the broker.

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 04-Nov-2014 03:06

Ø  It is not an internal discussion. It is a forum discussion. Not sure, why you are unable to access it.

Because it’s an internal forum for employees, which unlike me or you, Mike is not. Just FYI.

Posted by Srinivas Munigala on 04-Nov-2014 03:16

Thanks for the information Libor.

This thread is closed