Listing Source directories in PROPATH; Does each subdirector

Posted by Rom Elwell on 28-Oct-2014 10:18

SETUP
OpenEdge 10.2B08
Win7 - 64Bit
OpenEdge Architect Workspace has two projects. Each project has a source directory (/src) with a subdirectory (/inc).

When specifiying the Source diretories for the shared AVM PROPATH, it appears I have to explicitly list each subdirectory in the list of Source directories.
i.e. Project1/src
Project1/src/inc
Project2/src
Project2/src/inc

QUESTION
Is it possibly to simply define 'Project1/src' in the PROPATH as a SOURCE directory and have the compiler recursively query the root Source directory('Project1/src') and all subdirectories ('Project1/src/inc') to resolve dependencies?

Either I am missing how to accomplish the previous request or this feature is not supported.

Thanks.

Posted by James Palmer on 28-Oct-2014 10:27

As far as I know you have to explicitly define each directory in the Propath.

Alternatively, you can reference the code in the inc subdirectory with inc/procname.p but that may be a big code change.

All Replies

Posted by James Palmer on 28-Oct-2014 10:27

As far as I know you have to explicitly define each directory in the Propath.

Alternatively, you can reference the code in the inc subdirectory with inc/procname.p but that may be a big code change.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 28-Oct-2014 10:57

The PROPATH needs to contain whatever needs to go in front of what is in the code in order to resolve the filename.

FWIW, I think it is very bad practice to limit the code to minimal filenames and thus to require many, many directories in the PROPATH.  It is a big impact on performance because it has to look sequentially in each of the directories for the filename and it creates possible confusion with the same file name in multiple places.  It also removes potentially valuable context information from the code.

Posted by James Palmer on 28-Oct-2014 11:01

I believe there is also a performance impact in PDSOE as it scans directories multiple times when initialising various things.

It's the sort of thing that should be addressed by developers as soon as possible though as resolving it in future will become increasingly costly. I'm in the process of resolving the exact same issues where I am working and we're looking at 6000 odd programs that all need changing to use the right paths. Very boring.

This thread is closed