64 bit Eclipse with 32 bit OpenEdge?

Posted by Mike Fechner on 09-Oct-2014 15:08

I'm trying to increase Progress Developer Studio performance by adding memory to it. It's obvious that there are memory limits in a 32 bit JVM - so I am trying to use a 64 bit JVM and a 64 bit Eclipse base install with PDSOE.

So far with little luck:

JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_67-b01)

Eclipse: eclipse-java-kepler-SR1-win32-x86_64.zip

Integrate Architect was not successful (see below):

OpenEdge 11.4.0.00 (com.openedge.pdt.feature.group 11.4.0.00) requires 'com.openedge.pdt.platform.win64 [11.4.0.00]' but it could not be found

That is obvious. So what I could do, is install 64 bit OE on another machine and integrate the PDSOE with a 64 bit Eclipse instance there - and copy that back to the machine with 32 bit OpenEdge installed. Before I do that, what is the expectation: Will it work? Will the 64 bit PDSOE work with prowin32.exe, will the Visual Designer work?

The reason why I'm stuck on 32 bit Progress with my main development machine is that some projects still require some Active X Controls that are 32 bit only.

proenv>oeide\integrateArchitect.bat -install c:\Eclipse\431\eclipse

proenv>REM InstallUtils Version 2.4

proenv>echo off
Installing com.openedge.pdt.feature.group 11.4.0.00.
Installation failed.
Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be foun
d.
 Software being installed: Progress Developer Studio for OpenEdge 11.4.0.00 (com
.openedge.pdt.feature.group 11.4.0.00)
 Missing requirement for filter properties ~= $0: Progress Developer Studio for
OpenEdge 11.4.0.00 (com.openedge.pdt.feature.group 11.4.0.00) requires 'com.open
edge.pdt.platform.win64 [11.4.0.00]' but it could not be found
Application failed, log file location: C:\Progress\OpenEdge114\install\oeide\Pro
gressInstaller\config\1412884967429.log
!SESSION 2014-10-09 22:02:47.306 -----------------------------------------------

eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.7.0_45
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=de_DE
Framework arguments:  -application com.progress.installer.application -installFe
ature com.openedge.pdt -productRoot C:\Progress\OpenEdge114\oeide -targetRoot c:
\Eclipse\431\eclipse -productName Architect -productRepoPrefix Architect -tpRepo
Prefix Architect_Third_Party -JAVA_LOCATION C:\Progress\OpenEdge114\jre\bin\\jav
aw.exe
Command-line arguments:  -consoleLog -application com.progress.installer.applica
tion -installFeature com.openedge.pdt -productRoot C:\Progress\OpenEdge114\oeide
 -targetRoot c:\Eclipse\431\eclipse -productName Architect -productRepoPrefix Ar
chitect -tpRepoPrefix Architect_Third_Party -JAVA_LOCATION C:\Progress\OpenEdge1
14\jre\bin\\javaw.exe

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director 4 10053 2014-10-09 22:02:49.813
!MESSAGE Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could no
t be found.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director 4 0 2014-10-09 22:02:49.814
!MESSAGE Software being installed: Progress Developer Studio for OpenEdge 11.4.0
.00 (com.openedge.pdt.feature.group 11.4.0.00)
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director 4 0 2014-10-09 22:02:49.815
!MESSAGE Missing requirement for filter properties ~= $0: Progress Developer Stu
dio for OpenEdge 11.4.0.00 (com.openedge.pdt.feature.group 11.4.0.00) requires '
com.openedge.pdt.platform.win64 [11.4.0.00]' but it could not be found
Not merging eclipse.ini/config.ini as both flags updateParams and addMissingPara
ms are set to false or are not specified

All Replies

Posted by Matt Baker on 09-Oct-2014 20:12

Why don't you just you use 64 bit openedge with 64 bit PDSOE?

Posted by Mike Fechner on 09-Oct-2014 20:18

Hi Matt,

Answer was in the original post... Some of my projects require Active X controls. And you folks still haven't figured out how to allow us customers to install 32 bit and 64 bit OE of the same release on the same machine... :-)

Von meinem Windows Phone gesendet

Von: Matt Baker
Gesendet: ‎09.‎10.‎2014 21:12
An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Betreff: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] 64 bit Eclipse with 32 bit OpenEdge?

Reply by Matt Baker

Why don't you just you use 64 bit openedge with 64 bit PDSOE?

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by Garry Hall on 09-Oct-2014 21:04

We are looking at allowing both 32-bit and 64-bit OE on the same machine. However, not knowing the internals of PDSOE, I don't know if that is going to allow you to do what you want. It might be an enhancement request. The current proposal for allowing both 32-bit and 64-bit OE requires independence between the two: different DLC directories, different registry keys, different AdminServices, different PDSOE installs.

That being said, we do have a bug logged to allow selection of 32-bit AVMs in 64-bit PDSOE for the launch config. Currently you can see only OE versions that match your bitness. As I don't know enough about PDSOE, I don't know if this meets your need. And it might not be addressed in the same time frame.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 09-Oct-2014 21:50

> The current proposal for allowing both 32-bit and 64-bit OE requires independence between the two: different DLC directories, different registry keys, different AdminServices, different PDSOE installs.

That would be fine for me. But for now I am trying to "hack" a 64 bit Eclipse with a 32 bit OpenEdge to allow more memory for Eclipse.

Von meinem Windows Phone gesendet

Von: Garry Hall
Gesendet: ‎09.‎10.‎2014 22:05
Betreff: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] 64 bit Eclipse with 32 bit OpenEdge?

Reply by Garry Hall

We are looking at allowing both 32-bit and 64-bit OE on the same machine. However, not knowing the internals of PDSOE, I don't know if that is going to allow you to do what you want. It might be an enhancement request. The current proposal for allowing both 32-bit and 64-bit OE requires independence between the two: different DLC directories, different registry keys, different AdminServices, different PDSOE installs.

That being said, we do have a bug logged to allow selection of 32-bit AVMs in 64-bit PDSOE for the launch config. Currently you can see only OE versions that match your bitness. As I don't know enough about PDSOE, I don't know if this meets your need. And it might not be addressed in the same time frame.

Posted by Bill Wood on 10-Oct-2014 05:10

Perhaps someone from the Progress Developer Studio team can chime in with details, but I recall when this was discussed that the bitness of Ecliple had to match the bitness of the AVM (which in turn must match the bitness of DLLs and controls. )

From my recollection, Progress Developer Studio launches an instance of the AVM for "client" execution in process and so eclipse needs to match the AVM bit wise =

Posted by Garry Hall on 29-Oct-2014 15:40

Sorry for crashing an old thread, but since you asked...

"And you folks still haven't figured out how to allow us customers to install 32 bit and 64 bit OE of the same release on the same machine... :-)"

11.5 ESAP #3 has just been made available, and it allows you to install 32-bit and 64-bit OE on the same Win64 machine. I don't know if it will allow you to do what you wanted here, but if you are interested in this feature at all, please go take a look at ESAP #3.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 29-Oct-2014 15:54

No problem, Garry!

The use case here is to use 64 bit Eclipse/JRE with Progress Developer Studio and 32 bit OpenEdge AVM. I hope to increase PDSOE Performance in large projects by making more memory available. But I need 32 bit AVM support for Active X Controls.

Posted by Darren Parr on 06-Jan-2015 13:21

Mike

Did you get anywhere with this as I also have this issue. I need to work with 32 bit activex controls but want to run 64 bit eclipse as it crashes far too often when it runs out of memory.

Regards

Darren

Posted by Mike Fechner on 06-Jan-2015 23:51

No, not yet. I’m using 64 and 32 bit PDSOE for 11.5 in parallel right now.

Von: DarrenP [mailto:bounce-DarrenP@community.progress.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 6. Januar 2015 20:23

Reply by DarrenP

Mike

Did you get anywhere with this as I also have this issue. I need to work with 32 bit activex controls but want to run 64 bit eclipse as it crashes far too often when it runs out of memory.

Regards

Darren

Posted by Darren Parr on 09-Jan-2015 12:01

OK. No worries. I am contemplating the same thing myself.

This thread is closed