64 bit Eclipse with 32 bit OpenEdge?

Posted by Mike Fechner on 09-Oct-2014 15:08

I'm trying to increase Progress Developer Studio performance by adding memory to it. It's obvious that there are memory limits in a 32 bit JVM - so I am trying to use a 64 bit JVM and a 64 bit Eclipse base install with PDSOE.

So far with little luck:

JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_67-b01)

Eclipse: eclipse-java-kepler-SR1-win32-x86_64.zip

Integrate Architect was not successful (see below):

OpenEdge 11.4.0.00 (com.openedge.pdt.feature.group 11.4.0.00) requires 'com.openedge.pdt.platform.win64 [11.4.0.00]' but it could not be found

That is obvious. So what I could do, is install 64 bit OE on another machine and integrate the PDSOE with a 64 bit Eclipse instance there - and copy that back to the machine with 32 bit OpenEdge installed. Before I do that, what is the expectation: Will it work? Will the 64 bit PDSOE work with prowin32.exe, will the Visual Designer work?

The reason why I'm stuck on 32 bit Progress with my main development machine is that some projects still require some Active X Controls that are 32 bit only.

proenv>oeide\integrateArchitect.bat -install c:\Eclipse\431\eclipse

proenv>REM InstallUtils Version 2.4

proenv>echo off
Installing com.openedge.pdt.feature.group 11.4.0.00.
Installation failed.
Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be foun
d.
 Software being installed: Progress Developer Studio for OpenEdge 11.4.0.00 (com
.openedge.pdt.feature.group 11.4.0.00)
 Missing requirement for filter properties ~= $0: Progress Developer Studio for
OpenEdge 11.4.0.00 (com.openedge.pdt.feature.group 11.4.0.00) requires 'com.open
edge.pdt.platform.win64 [11.4.0.00]' but it could not be found
Application failed, log file location: C:\Progress\OpenEdge114\install\oeide\Pro
gressInstaller\config\1412884967429.log
!SESSION 2014-10-09 22:02:47.306 -----------------------------------------------

eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.7.0_45
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=de_DE
Framework arguments:  -application com.progress.installer.application -installFe
ature com.openedge.pdt -productRoot C:\Progress\OpenEdge114\oeide -targetRoot c:
\Eclipse\431\eclipse -productName Architect -productRepoPrefix Architect -tpRepo
Prefix Architect_Third_Party -JAVA_LOCATION C:\Progress\OpenEdge114\jre\bin\\jav
aw.exe
Command-line arguments:  -consoleLog -application com.progress.installer.applica
tion -installFeature com.openedge.pdt -productRoot C:\Progress\OpenEdge114\oeide
 -targetRoot c:\Eclipse\431\eclipse -productName Architect -productRepoPrefix Ar
chitect -tpRepoPrefix Architect_Third_Party -JAVA_LOCATION C:\Progress\OpenEdge1
14\jre\bin\\javaw.exe

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director 4 10053 2014-10-09 22:02:49.813
!MESSAGE Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could no
t be found.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director 4 0 2014-10-09 22:02:49.814
!MESSAGE Software being installed: Progress Developer Studio for OpenEdge 11.4.0
.00 (com.openedge.pdt.feature.group 11.4.0.00)
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director 4 0 2014-10-09 22:02:49.815
!MESSAGE Missing requirement for filter properties ~= $0: Progress Developer Stu
dio for OpenEdge 11.4.0.00 (com.openedge.pdt.feature.group 11.4.0.00) requires '
com.openedge.pdt.platform.win64 [11.4.0.00]' but it could not be found
Not merging eclipse.ini/config.ini as both flags updateParams and addMissingPara
ms are set to false or are not specified

All Replies

Posted by Matt Baker on 09-Oct-2014 20:12

Why don't you just you use 64 bit openedge with 64 bit PDSOE?

Posted by Mike Fechner on 09-Oct-2014 20:18

Hi Matt,

Answer was in the original post... Some of my projects require Active X controls. And you folks still haven't figured out how to allow us customers to install 32 bit and 64 bit OE of the same release on the same machine... :-)

Von meinem Windows Phone gesendet