Refactoring and Source Code Analysis

Posted by dbeavon on 09-Oct-2014 13:19

The OE 11.4 release is out.  I installed it because I was particularly interested in developer productivity enhancements for PDSOE like the promise of "Refactoring and Source Code Analysis tools to streamline code development".

Is there any material out there on this topic yet?  I don't even know how to find the new features in Eclipse, let alone use them.

Google searches don't pick up anything (other than the Progress marketing for OE 11.4).

All Replies

Posted by RWEBSTER on 09-Oct-2014 14:15

+1 to this!

I even ventured into the "What's new" page shown on first startup in Pdsoe, but unfortunately I'm directed to a page that says 'topic not found'.

Posted by Rob Straight on 09-Oct-2014 14:34

A good place to start is the New and Revised Features list. You can locate that on Communities from the OpenEdge 11.4 Documentation Page.

Posted by RWEBSTER on 10-Oct-2014 03:39

Thanks Rob, but I'm not seeing any reference to source code analysis, or refactoring on this page.

documentation.progress.com/.../openedge114

Unless you're counting the shuffling of USING statements as refactoring - which seems a pretty 'slimline' set of refactoring features.

Posted by jmls on 10-Oct-2014 04:41

#1 - yes, "less is more" in this case ;)

#2 - there are some "analysis tools" for finding where tables, fields, variables, Interfaces etc are used. right-click on a file, choose "references". Do the same in the editor for other stuff like variables etc

#3 - that's all folks ;) **

Julian

** probably going to get yelled at for missing certain other items ...

Posted by andrew.may on 10-Oct-2014 04:53

Julian, do you happen to know if they've made the Open Declaration (F3) function work properly in 11.4?

It's meant to open up the declaration of the highlighted object/method/proc/var.

In practice, (in 11.1->3,) it opens up the declaration of *something* which may or may not be the highlighted thing.

Posted by jmls on 10-Oct-2014 04:57

yeah, works for me

Julian

--