Problems with Infragistics controls in OE11.3.1

Posted by RJPowell on 03-Sep-2014 07:21

Afternoon,

I am having issues getting the Infragistics controls installed on my machine to be correctly recognised.  They were installed by adding the OE Ultra Controls to an existing OE11.3.1 installation, installed under the same user as the original installation.  They appear correctly under the Referenced Assemblies in the existing Eclipse project which uses them, and can be opened up in the Class Browser.  All of the dlls appear to be present and registered to the correct locations as compared to a working installation on another machine.  However, nothing will recognise them as being present.  Within Eclipse the project shows errors saying that it cannot find the interface or class wherever an Infragistics control is referenced.  Attempting to compile outside of Eclipse using the command line also fails for the same reasons, so we are confident it is not a configuration issue within Eclipse itself.

If anyone has encountered this or similar, any help you could provide would be much appreciated

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 03-Sep-2014 09:25

Robin,

While I am doing the installs to test this, can you try reinstalling the 11.3.1 service pack again.  It does have updaters for the Infragistics controls and right now you do have a technically "mixed" environment.  It may be that installing the service pack again is all you need to do to get things working.

Brian

All Replies

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 03-Sep-2014 07:51

Hi RJPowell,

Where did you install the controls?  A local drive or a network location?

Brian

Posted by RJPowell on 03-Sep-2014 08:02

Brian, they are installed locally.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 03-Sep-2014 08:07

Can you send the exact error(s) that you get?

Posted by andrew.may on 03-Sep-2014 08:38

Brian, I can answer this... (I've been trying to help Robin with this & he's not at his desk at the moment).

The symptoms are as if the controls can't be found/used by progress...

  • The Ultra components in the Visual Editor toolbox are shown with an icon that suggests that they do not work

  • When compiling a project that has got Infragistics controls in it, compile errors are generated like: "Could not find class or interface Infragistics.Win.UltraWinEditors.EditorButtonControlBase. (12886)"

The same compile errors happen when compiling the project inside Eclipse (project build) & outside of Eclipse (using the Ant/PCT build script that works on other PCs.

No network source is used anywhere. The same project setup works on other developer PCs.

The only differences that I can think of between Robin's PC & the other Dev PCs are:

  • Other devs installed the controls as part of their OE 11.3 installation. Robin already had OE11.3 installed, he's then added the Infragistics Controls to this existing installation (running the installer, entering the licence key & confirming that he wants to add a component).
  • Other devs have been using the controls for longer & had been using the OE11.1 ones (v11.2) before they installed OE11.3 (which uses v13.1)

We've compared where the dll's have been installed on various Dev PCs & they're all in identical locations to Robin's installation.

e.g. "Infragistics4.Win.v13.1.dll" is in:

  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Infragistics\NetAdvantage 2013.1\Windows Forms\CLR4.0\Bin\
  • C:\Progress\Openedge11.3\bin\infragistics\winforms\      (i.e. %DLC%\bin\infragistics\winforms\)
  • C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Infragistics4.Win.v13.1\v4.0_13.1.20131.2048__7dd5c3163f2cd0cb\

The most puzzling aspect for me is that if I go to the projects Referenced Assemblies, I can see the Infragistics DLLs there. I can also open the infragistics controls in the class browser & browse the individual Infragistics classes .

My suspicion is that the OE installer has done something different when adding a component to an existing installation.

Posted by Anil Kumar on 03-Sep-2014 08:49

Hi RJPowell,

I hope you are also experiencing this problem in all the workspaces (fresh workspace)?

One possible reason could be because of unavailability of .Net framework. Can you please check if the .Net framework 4.0 got installed properly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Anil Kumar.

[collapse]
[...]

Posted by Mike Fechner on 03-Sep-2014 08:53

I hope you are also experiencing this problem in all the workspaces (fresh workspace)?“

Funny kind of humor J

I doubt that is the case here – the OP wrote:

“They appear correctly under the Referenced Assemblies in the existing Eclipse project which uses them, and can be opened up in the Class Browser. “

Besides the installer verifying the availability of .NET when installing the UltraControls, I doubt that the Class Browser would be able to Reflect into the Assemblies without the proper .NET framework version.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 03-Sep-2014 09:03

Thanks Andrew.

I'm going to whip up a VM here with just PDSOE on it then add the Ultra controls and see what happens.

Be back soon.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 03-Sep-2014 09:06

Andrew / Robin,

One question ... did you install 11.3 then 11.3.1 then the Infragistics controls from 11.3 or 11.3.1?

Brian

Posted by andrew.may on 03-Sep-2014 09:10

.NET framework versions are identical on the PCs that work & the one that doesn't. (I've checked using the registry & we have 4.0 + 4.5)

The same problems occur in a fresh workspace.

- Note that the problem still occurs when compiling the project outside of Eclipse (running Ant from command line) - this strongly implies that the problem is not within Eclipse, but is to do with the installation of the controls.

When creating a fresh project in a fresh workspace on Robin's PC (the one with the problem), with a project type of "GUI for .NET", he cannot add Ultra controls to the auto-created "Form1.cls"  (because the controls are disabled in the toolbox).

To test, I created a project on my (working) installation & then dropped an UltraTextEditor on it.

I then copied the project to Robin's PC & imported it into his fresh workspace.

When opening "Form1.cls", the following Visual Editor error is shown:

  "unable to resolve type information for type Infragistics.Win.UtlraWinEditors.UltraTextEditor for field ultraTextEditor"

Posted by andrew.may on 03-Sep-2014 09:13

The 11.3 vs 11.3.1 question might be the gotcha I've been looking for.

The existing OE11.3 installation was already on SP1.

The 11.3 (SP0) installer was run to add the component.

Is this likely to have caused a problem?

Posted by andrew.may on 03-Sep-2014 09:14

(& if so... how do we fix?)

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 03-Sep-2014 09:18

Andrew,

I've never tried or heard of anyone who tried to install FCS (i.e. 11.3.0) products into a SP (i.e. 11.3.1 install) so I don't have any idea what impact that may have.

I'll take some snapshots of my VM and do the testing to see what happens.

Be back soon.

Brian

Posted by RJPowell on 03-Sep-2014 09:20

Brian, 11.3.1 has been installed for some time.  The 11.3 installer was used to add the Infragistics controls, the 11.3.1 installer didn't give the option to add new components.

Posted by andrew.may on 03-Sep-2014 09:21

I'm sure that this is the issue.

I misspoke earlier when I said that we had the same dll files installed.

I've just spotted that Robin has 13.1.20131.2015 of the controls & I have 13.1.20131.2048

So, we need to install the SP1 controls on Robin's PC.

Can we just re-run the SP1 installer?

Posted by andrew.may on 03-Sep-2014 09:24

... or just run the "NetAdvantage_WinForms_20131.2048_SR.msp"  from SP1 installer's "3party/uictrls/" directory?

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 03-Sep-2014 09:25

Robin,

While I am doing the installs to test this, can you try reinstalling the 11.3.1 service pack again.  It does have updaters for the Infragistics controls and right now you do have a technically "mixed" environment.  It may be that installing the service pack again is all you need to do to get things working.

Brian

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 03-Sep-2014 09:30

Andrew,

Yes you can just re-run the SP1 installer.

Brian

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 03-Sep-2014 09:52

Andrew,

Please don't do that.  Right now Robin has a mixed environment of 11.3 & 11.3.1.  I would much prefer to just re-install the full 11.3.1 service pack as then we can be sure his overall installation is no longer mixed.

Brian

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 03-Sep-2014 10:22

Andrew,

I was able to see the problem after installing 11.3 then 11.3.1 then Inragistics from 11.3.

After reinstalling 11.3.1 everything worked.

So ... Robin, go ahead and reinstall 11.3.1 and you should be fine.

Cheers, Brian

Posted by RJPowell on 03-Sep-2014 10:38

Ran the 11.3.1 installer again, and it has cleared all of the errors.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Robin

Posted by cwiner on 04-Sep-2014 10:15

11.3 and 11.3.1 contain different versions of the Infragistics service pack. Installing 11.3.1 upgraded the Infragistics version to match what PDSOE and the client were looking for.

[collapse]
The 11.3 vs 11.3.1 question might be the gotcha I've been looking for.

The existing OE11.3 installation was already on SP1.

The 11.3 (SP0) installer was run to add the component.

Is this likely to have caused a problem?

Posted by andrew.may on 04-Sep-2014 10:36

Re-running SP1 solved Robin's problem.

We hit a nasty gotcha on a colleague's machine though, which meant that SP1 silently corrupted his PDSOE installation...

He had at some point in the past (accidentally) updated his PDSOE Eclipse installation to 3.7.2 (probably while installing a v3.7.2 compatible version of the JDT plugin). This (unsupported) configuration generally works & so no alarms were raised at the time.

The problem was that the OE11.3 SP1 installer successfully removed the OE11.3 Eclipse plugins, but silently failed to install the OE11.3.1 version of the OE Eclipse plugins. (I'm guessing that this is because IntegrateArchitect.bat refuses to install into 3.7.2 Eclipse installations).

This had the net effect of making Eclipse refuse to startup, with a log file entry reading "java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to acquire application service. Ensure that the org.eclipse.core.runtime bundle is resolved and started (see config.ini)."

We're now uninstalling & reinstalling 11.3 + 11.3.1 to correct the issue.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 04-Sep-2014 10:51

Andrew,

Try running $DLC/oeide/integrateArchitect.bat -update

Brian

[collapse]
[...]

Posted by andrew.may on 04-Sep-2014 11:31

Brian,

When I noticed that my colleague was missing a load of OE Eclipse plugins, I tried running IntegrateArchitect.bat on the

%DLC%\oeide\eclipse installation (although I tried "-install", not -"update").

That then gave me the error message that it couldn't install into Eclipse 3.7.2 which is when I found out that my colleague had accidentally updated Eclipse to 3.7.2.

He's just finished uninstalling/reinstalling 11.3+11.3.1 - I'm very hopeful that this will work!

thanks for all your help

This thread is closed