Debugging REST Calls

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 01-Aug-2014 17:16

Is there a way for the Progress Rest Adapter to log all the received REST calls and how it attempted to map them?   Or is some config I can add to Tomcat?

Paul

All Replies

Posted by Anil Kumar on 01-Aug-2014 18:04

Hi Paul,

There are couple of log files which we can monitor as part of the REST application execution:

Know more about the web application:

-          Add logging levels in the respective webapp such that more information is shown. The log file will give the information about the values that REST adapter received as part of the request (JSON) for each of the input parameter of the ABL file. This will allow us to validate if proper values are sent to the Appserver

o   In ‘runtime.props’ file located at WEB-INF directory modify the ‘logginglevel’ value to 4 (by default it will be 2)

ü  WEB-INF directory (WEB-INF/adapters/runtime.props)

Appserver Log files:

-          To verify whether the business logic execution (say filter value is reaching properly) we can check in ‘restbroker1.broker.log’ and ‘restbroker1.server.log’ files located in the working directory.

Security related logs:

-          In the web application's logging configuration file (/webapps/<rest-service-name>/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties) change the logging level for this line logging level from ERROR to DEBUG:

o   log4j.logger.com.progress.rest.security=ERROR, xxxxxxxx

-          Restart the web server for the change in logging level to take effect. The logging will appear in the REST service's log file located under /webapps/<rest-service-name>/WEB-INF/adapters/logs

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Anil Kumar.

[collapse]