PDSOE - bug or a feature?

Posted by Mike Fechner on 27-Jun-2014 05:55

This may sound a bit cynical - but I'd really like to know if the fact that after closing the Progress Developer Studio (11.3, haven't noticed that on 10.2B or 11.1) workbench window the javaw.exe sometimes keeps running for a few minutes without any visual indication is a bug or by design.

Looking at the files accessed by the process during this time, it looks as if it's writing back the class cache or something like that.

The ugly thing is, that during this time there Eclipse progress information window is not showing so there is absolutely no indication on the UI that something is still running.

When closing PDSOE and trying to restart it soon after this may just be annoying, as the Workspace is still locked and you need to try a few times before restarting succeeds.

When closing PDSOE at the end of the day and then quickly shutting down the PC after all bad things may happen. I have the feeling, that shutting down Windows while the invisible javaw.exe is still running may be a root cause for very poor PDSOE performance the next day. I have the feeling, that once this happens, the class cache is in an inconsistent state and the next time trying code completion in PDSOE may cause delays of 30 seconds or even a few minutes... The only fix I see for the workspace once this happened is to drop the project restart PDSOE and and reimport that project :-(

So I started being in the habit of monitoring the task manager after closing PDSOE to know, when it's really gone. That seems to keep the workspace intact but is pretty annoying. I even considered writing a little monitoring windows service that shows the number of executed javaw.exe processed in the windows system tray.

So, is it a bug or a feature (designed like that), that PDSOE performs whatsoever after closing the main workspace window and not indicating this in the nice Eclipse Progress Dialog?

All Replies

Posted by Sanjeva Manchala on 27-Jun-2014 06:09

Hi Mike,

In 11.3 PDS OE ships OE-BPM plugins. After closing workspace some of the BPM plugins are being copied to workspace. That’s the reason why  javaw.exe is still running after closing workspace. There is bug for this already in our CQ .

Regards,
Sanjeev.

[collapse]
[...]

Posted by Mike Fechner on 27-Jun-2014 06:37

Hi Sanjeev,

Is there a way to disable the OEBPM plugins? In most of my workspaces OpenEdge BPM is (unfortunately) not required.

Is there already a plan when this issue will be fixed?

Cheers,

Mike

Posted by cverbiest on 27-Jun-2014 06:47

In my experience it's writing OpenEdge class caches in .metadata/.plugins/com.openedge.pdt.project  that takes most of the time, +/-5 minutes in our environment.

If interrupted (e.g. by windows logging off) those caches need to be rebuild, this can take up to 45 minutes depending on which cache is lost.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 27-Jun-2014 16:44

You can always uninstall the BPM feature via Help > About > Installation Details, select it, and then choose 'uninstall'. If you want it back, you can revert the configuration.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 28-Jun-2014 01:08

Thanks Jeff, that may be helpfull (although I quickly wrote the little application yesterday that monitors running javaw.exe's in the system tray yesterday.

Have you tried this yourself? Does that run stable? Is that even supported? Does that solve the issue of PDSOE keeping running for minutes after closing the workbench?=

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 28-Jun-2014 09:00

Yes, I have tried it but I had not noticed the java issue you mentioned either. There have been no stability issues after uninstalling the BMP feature (that I have noticed).

Jeff Ledbetter
Roundtable Product Architect
949.266.2993

[collapse]