How to hide Text field in a frame?

Posted by jasdeep on 16-Jun-2014 13:56

Can anybody help me in hidding text field in a frame .

I tried the following code , but did not work:

TEXT-8:HIDDEN = YES.

All Replies

Posted by James Palmer on 16-Jun-2014 14:01

You have two options. 1 is to put it on as a fill in that is set as text only. The other is to walk the widget tree and find the handle to the text field and hide it. A lot of trouble. The first option is easier.

James Palmer | Application Developer
Tel: 01253 785103

[collapse]From: jasdeep
Sent: ‎16/‎06/‎2014 19:57
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - OE Development] How to hide Text field in a frame?

Thread created by jasdeep

Can anybody help me in hidding text field in a frame .

I tried the following code , but did not work:

TEXT-8:HIDDEN = YES.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Click here to report this email as spam.

Inenco, Ribble House, Ballam Road, Lytham, FY8 4TS. Company Reg No: 2435678 For further information on the Inenco Group Ltd please visit our web site at www.inenco.com

NOTE: This email and any information contained within or attached in a separate file is confidential and intended solely for the Individual to whom it is addressed. The information or data included is solely for the purpose indicated or previously agreed. Any information or data included with this e-mail remains the property of Inenco Group Ltd. and the recipient will refrain from utilising the information for any purpose other than that indicated and upon request will destroy the information and remove it from their records. Whilst this e-mail or attached documents may contain market information, this information is not provided as advice. Inenco do not accept any liability for any damages or losses of any kind suffered as a result of any action(s) taken as a result of the content of this e-mail or attachments. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Inenco Group Ltd. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. No warranties or assurances are made in relation to the safety and content of this e-mail and any attachments. No liability is accepted for any consequences arising from it. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by telephone on +44 (0)1253 785000. [/collapse]

Posted by jasdeep on 16-Jun-2014 14:05

Thanks James. I have to follow widget tree route because I am working on already developed application . I have to hide the text box fields. Could you please tell me the overview of widget tree route to hide text box.

Posted by Dileep Dasa on 17-Jun-2014 03:35

Setting HIDDEN attribute should hide the widget.

Please check:

• If it explicitly displayed later by setting its VISIBLE attribute to TRUE
  • If there is an ENABLE ALL statement later in the code

To hide the widget, in the first case, you can set VISIBLE attribute to FALSE and in the later case, you can add UNLESS-HIDDEN to the ENABLE statement so that it restricts ENABLE to widgets whose HIDDEN attribute is FALSE.

Posted by James Palmer on 17-Jun-2014 03:54

[mention:f2c3b268940943f69cb639470006dc63:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05], it is a text widget. You can't reference it using its name, you have to walk the widget tree to find the handle.

[mention:04e95b8bf7ad413db8577e7108735503:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05], walking the widget tree is well documented. Essentially you pass it the handle to a frame, and then use the properties of that handle to traverse through all the objects parented to that frame until you get to the widget you want. As far as I remember, for a text object, the screen-value of the handle is the text that is displayed, you can test for that. But seriously, it's a lot of overhead just to hide a bit of text!

One thing I've done in the past for screens that I want to manipulate at run time is to walk the widget tree at the load of the screen and place all the handles into a temp table. It's usually quicker to then scan the temp table for what I want rather than walking the tree each time.

Posted by gabriel.lucaciu on 23-Jun-2014 09:33

Hi all,

I also agree that it's a lot of overhead just to hide a bit of text.

In most of the cases I used option 1 (put it on as a fill in that is set as text only), the only downside I saw in this was that when using statement of CLEAR FRAME the fill in is also cleared, so you will still need to fill it again by code.

This thread is closed