WebClient

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 12-Jun-2014 09:00

I was reviewing the release notes for WebClient. You CANNOT use Chrome or Firefox and MUST use IE but you can't use 64bit IE? Is this going to be resolved?

All Replies

Posted by Garry Hall on 12-Jun-2014 09:21

These are technical limitations of the InstallShield product we use for the web-based install of WebClient. These have been raised to Flexera, the current owner of the InstallShield technology. We cannot commit to fixing them until Flexera commits to fixing them. We don’t have any commitment from Flexera to address these at this time.

It is possible that these limitations affect existing versions of WebClient as well. While these were discovered during the development of the 64-bit WebClient feature, some regression testing showed this has possibly been an issue for several versions, although I see no bugs being logged about it. If you have not had any problems with current WebClient versions and your non-IE browsers, then possibly we need to refine the exact circumstances under which these limitations occur. Please try non-IE browsers: If it works, then we can qualify the non-IE release note.

Which of these is your biggest concern? The non-IE browsers, or 64-bit IE?

[collapse]
From: rblanchard [mailto:bounce-rblanchard@community.progress.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2014 10:01 AM
To: Beta.OE11.4@community.progress.com
Subject: [Beta - OE11.4] WebClient

Thread created by rblanchard

I was reviewing the release notes for WebClient. You CANNOT use Chrome or Firefox and MUST use IE but you can't use 64bit IE? Is this going to be resolved?

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 12-Jun-2014 12:20

Actually, both. I never use IE and my guess is more and more people are not using IE.

If running on a 64-bit windows box how would someone install webclient? If you cannot use Chrome or Firefox the IE flavor on the 64 bit windows box would be 64-bit.

We try to make things simple for our reseller's installing our product. This has many phone calls written all over it.

Posted by Garry Hall on 12-Jun-2014 14:42

On the Win64 machines we have been using for testing, we have both 32-bit and 64-bit IE. I was not responsible for setting them up, so I don’t know if this was standard or required a separate install of 32-bit IE. I had assumed it was standard. A little naïve on my part.

As the problems with the third party product are out of our hands, there is little we can do for 11.4 (or earlier versions, if the problem exists there as well). The solution might be to move to a different install technology, which will give users a different experience e.g. MSI. I cannot make any commitment on such a change.

[collapse]
Actually, both. I never use IE and my guess is more and more people are not using IE.

If running on a 64-bit windows box how would someone install webclient? If you cannot use Chrome or Firefox the IE flavor on the 64 bit windows box would be 64-bit.

We try to make things simple for our reseller's installing our product. This has many phone calls written all over it.

Posted by Garry Hall on 12-Jun-2014 14:49

I forgot to mention: thank you for your feedback. It helps to raise awareness of the issues, so others who might be affected can chime in as well. The more pain it causes, the higher the priority.

[collapse]