Table partitioning / ROWID's / ProDatasets

Posted by Mike Fechner on 03-Jun-2014 06:57

Hi, 

there has been a discussion in the public forums recently on the reliably of ROWID's (or the lack of) to relocate records when table partitioning is used. The discussions were mainly on how well ADM and ADM2 will cope with records being updated (by someone else) with the consequence that the record has moved to a different record and the risk, that the same ROWID is now used by a different record..

With ProDatasets typically unique keys values in the before table are used to refetch a record for update (done all nicely by SAVE-ROW-CHANGES). This should not be a problem, unless the unique key values (let's hope for GUID's) are not reused.

Unfortunately we have customers of our OERA framework that have (some) tables with no unique keys. The ProDataset allows the use of the ROWID as an emergency key. Which works great.

Am I right in assuming, that in 11.4 with table partitioning the use of ROWID's for the DATA-SOURCE KEYS definition has the same risk as what was discussed for ADM and ADM2 in the other thread?

A client holds a record and is updating it.

In the mean time, a different client updates the original record with the consequence, that it's moved to a different partition/storage area and a new record is created with the original ROWID value. 

The first client, then submits a row for update with the stored ROWID in the before table and the SAVE-ROW-CHANGES is going to update the wrong record based on the ROWID key.

Or is there some magic built into the ProDataset to avoid this situation?

Mike

All Replies

Posted by gus on 03-Jun-2014 09:19

with partitioned tables, a row's rowid will change only if the row is moved. it can occur if you update the partition key value. don't do that. Oracle does not even allow it.

The ADM issue I mentioned has nothing to do with table partitioning or with changing rowid's. that problem was caused by the adm trying to read a table's /template record/ in a multitenant environment. that read fails because the template record is not directly readable by 4GL code executed by ordinary users. nothing at all to do with table partitioning.

the other problem i mentioned is relatively rare and also has nothing to do with table partitioning. it is caused by dirty reads and subsequent deletion of the data you read and then the rowid being reused. again, nothing to do with partitioning, but it can happen with partitioned tables too.

internally, the rowids used by the 4GL runtime are accompanied by the partition id and table number.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 03-Jun-2014 10:19

“it can occur if you update the partition key value. don't do that”

“internally, the rowids used by the 4GL runtime are accompanied by the partition id and table number.”

So, when a ProDataset’s DATA-SOURCE uses the field mapping

“ttCustomer.roCustomer,ROWID(Customer)”

do you consider the field value of ttCustomer.roCustomer (a ROWID field) internally or externally?

Von: gus [mailto:bounce-gus@community.progress.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 3. Juni 2014 16:20
An: Beta.OE11.4@community.progress.com
Betreff: RE: [Beta - OE11.4] Table partitioning / ROWID's / ProDatasets

with partitioned tables, a row's rowid will change only if the row is moved. it can occur if you update the partition key value. don't do that. Oracle does not even allow it.

The ADM issue I mentioned has nothing to do with table partitioning or with changing rowid's. that problem was caused by the adm trying to read a table's /template record/ in a multitenant environment. that read fails because the template record is not directly readable by 4GL code executed by ordinary users. nothing at all to do with table partitioning.

the other problem i mentioned is relatively rare and also has nothing to do with table partitioning. it is caused by dirty reads and subsequent deletion of the data you read and then the rowid being reused. again, nothing to do with partitioning, but it can happen with partitioned tables too.

internally, the rowids used by the 4GL runtime are accompanied by the partition id and table number.

Posted by Marian Edu on 03-Jun-2014 13:53

[collapse]On 06/03/2014 05:19 PM, gus wrote:
> with partitioned tables, a row's rowid will change only if the row is moved. it can occur if you update the partition key value. don't do that.
will it be painful? :)
> Oracle does not even allow it.

in fact it does, they do offer a 'row movement' for partitioned tables
so one can decide a record will not move to another partition even if
changes to the partition fields would otherwise lead to that... by
default an update can translate to a delete+insert (move to another
partition) which means different rowid in Oracle as well.
>
> The ADM issue I mentioned has nothing to do with table partitioning or with changing rowid's.

Think Mike is referring to Rick's thread on that subject -
https://community.progress.com/products/beta-eap/OE114-External/f/41/t/9225.aspx

Normally this will affect ProDatasets using rowid as identifier (if no
primary key exist for the table), a client sending changes to such a
dataset might fail to find the record if previous update lead to a
partition move... or might find the wrong record if rowid was reused.

> that problem was caused by the adm trying to read a table's /template record/ in a multitenant environment. that read fails because the template record is not directly readable by 4GL code executed by ordinary users. nothing at all to do with table partitioning.
> the other problem i mentioned is relatively rare and also has nothing to do with table partitioning. it is caused by dirty reads and subsequent deletion of the data you read and then the rowid being reused. again, nothing to do with partitioning, but it can happen with partitioned tables too.
> internally, the rowids used by the 4GL runtime are accompanied by the partition id and table number.
>
> View this message online or reply to this message (http://community.progress.com/products/beta-eap/OE114-External/f/41/p/10566/39561.aspx#39561).
>
>

--
m.edu
keep it simple
http://www.ganimede.ro
http://ro.linkedin.com/in/marianedu
medu@ganimede.ro
mobile: +40 740 036 212

Posted by Laura Stern on 03-Jun-2014 16:35

I know pretty much nothing about the ADM so I'm not commenting on that.  But in regards to your original question about ProDataSets and SAVE-ROW-CHANGES, I think that is possible.  I don't believe there is any magic built into the ProDataset to avoid this.  PLEASE someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 03-Jun-2014 23:57

Thanks Laura - that's the answer I was looking for. Even though now the one I was hoping for.

We all agree that this is a highly uncertain potential issue. But there are these days where such things happen …

ProDatasets are unlike the ADM and ADM2 not outdated product features and the fact, that the ProDataset out of the box supports updates even when the key fields are changed, is a major feature!

I think the fact that without explicitly deleting and re-adding a row, just by updating the partition key value column (by another user) there is a hypothetical risk, that updates based on ROWID keys overwrite a wrong record should be mentioned in the documentation for the ROWID keys in the Data-Source and the SAVE-ROW-CHANGES method.

In essence it means, that when using ProDatasets (a development decision) and table partitioning (a deployment decision) in combination you should be using unique keys only and not rely in the fall back key of the ROWID. I can live with that as I believe that tables with no mandatory unique key are an act of crime.

Gesendet von Surface Pro

Von: Laura Stern
Gesendet: ‎Dienstag‎, ‎3‎. ‎Juni‎ ‎2014 ‎23‎:‎35
An: Beta.OE11.4@community.progress.com

I know pretty much nothing about the ADM so I'm not commenting on that.  But in regards to your original question about ProDataSets and SAVE-ROW-CHANGES, I think that is possible.  I don't believe there is any magic built into the ProDataset to avoid this.  PLEASE someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 04-Jun-2014 09:56

So, if the lessons here are, don't design data bases with tables that have no unique key and, if you do, don't partition those tables, I for one don't find that onerous.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 04-Jun-2014 09:59

Me neither. But we’ve learned those lessons in the forum.

Others should have a chance to learn from documentation. Don’t you agree?

Von: Thomas Mercer-Hursh [mailto:bounce-tamhas@community.progress.com]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 4. Juni 2014 16:57

So, if the lessons here are, don't design data bases with tables that have no unique key and, if you do, don't partition those tables, I for one don't find that onerous.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 04-Jun-2014 10:07

Documentation is good ... if people actually read it.  More often, I think, it provides a place that someone can point to afterward.

This case might be a little marginal since the use case that creates a problem is something I would consider bad database design.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 04-Jun-2014 10:11

But those DB designs exist. And no one of us is going to change that overnight.

But those starting with Prodatasets with those bad DB designs have to read the docs anyway to find out about the ROWID keys. So BINGO!

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 4. Juni 2014 17:08

Reply by Thomas Mercer-Hursh

Documentation is good ... if people actually read it.  More often, I think, it provides a place that someone can point to afterward.

This case might be a little marginal since the use case that creates a problem is something I would consider bad database design.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 04-Jun-2014 10:19

You have more faith than I about people actually reading documentation, especially carefully.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 04-Jun-2014 10:22

Experience. Or I know how to train people to read the docs.

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 4. Juni 2014 17:20

Reply by Thomas Mercer-Hursh

You have more faith than I about people actually reading documentation, especially carefully.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 04-Jun-2014 11:22

If it's not in the docs, then the chance of them learning this from the docs is 0.

Posted by Marian Edu on 04-Jun-2014 13:01

actually there are legit cases when no pk is required for a table
(log/audit tables for instance)... just in that case there should be no
individual record update/delete. while deleting/updating a set of
records using selection criteria can work (even with sequential access),
individual records can't really be found if there is no primary key.

imho, the usage of rowid as an `alternate` pk in prodatasets shouldn't
be allowed... have no pk on the table you can't save-changes.

the chance a record gets a new rowid because of updates on partitioning
key(s) and later save-changes might not found the record or find a
different (new) record (rowid reuse) isn't going to be more frequent
than an actual delete followed by an insert that will reuse the rowid
which can happen on any table... bref, if one uses rowid as key in a
prodataset now will be as safe (or unsafe) when table partitioning is
used as it is now.

or maybe I'm slow and didn't get the lessons here :)

On 06/04/2014 05:56 PM, Thomas Mercer-Hursh wrote:
> So, if the lessons here are, don't design data bases with tables that have no unique key and, if you do, don't partition those tables, I for one don't find that onerous.
>
> View this message online or reply to this message (http://community.progress.com/products/beta-eap/OE114-External/f/41/p/10566/39642.aspx#39642).
>
>

--
m.edu
keep it simple
medu@ganimede.ro

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 04-Jun-2014 13:32

Well, I tend to think that even though update is unlikely, that doesn't mean it will never happen, so it is better to provide it with a key.  There are any number of tasks other than update where that could be useful.

Posted by David Moloney on 05-Jun-2014 11:32

"imho, the usage of rowid as an `alternate` pk in prodatasets shouldn't be allowed... have no pk on the table you can't save-changes."

shouldn't this statement be completed as ... "if you are using partitioned tables?"

From my SQL-oriented perspective, the notion of a primary key is severely underutilized and under-enforced in OpenEdge.
Enabling rowid as an alternative PK provides backward compatibility which is needed.  But using smart database practices and enforcing them around table partitioning sounds like a good idea to me.  If I had a vote, it would be with you Marian.

David

[collapse]On 6/4/2014 2:01 PM, Marian Edu wrote:
Reply by Marian Edu
actually there are legit cases when no pk is required for a table
(log/audit tables for instance)... just in that case there should be no
individual record update/delete. while deleting/updating a set of
records using selection criteria can work (even with sequential access),
individual records can't really be found if there is no primary key.

imho, the usage of rowid as an `alternate` pk in prodatasets shouldn't
be allowed... have no pk on the table you can't save-changes.

the chance a record gets a new rowid because of updates on partitioning
key(s) and later save-changes might not found the record or find a
different (new) record (rowid reuse) isn't going to be more frequent
than an actual delete followed by an insert that will reuse the rowid
which can happen on any table... bref, if one uses rowid as key in a
prodataset now will be as safe (or unsafe) when table partitioning is
used as it is now.

or maybe I'm slow and didn't get the lessons here :)

On 06/04/2014 05:56 PM, Thomas Mercer-Hursh wrote:
> So, if the lessons here are, don't design data bases with tables that have no unique key and, if you do, don't partition those tables, I for one don't find that onerous.
>
> View this message online or reply to this message (http://community.progress.com/products/beta-eap/OE114-External/f/41/p/10566/39642.aspx#39642).
>
>

--
m.edu
keep it simple
medu@ganimede.ro

[/collapse]