WebClient application development environment

Posted by pauldownie on 22-May-2014 11:41

Hi,

What is the proper way to set up a development environment in v. 10.2b using the AppBuilder for a WebClient application? I am trying to convert an existing ADM2 SmartObject client-server application to WebClient and am running into some fairly perplexing issues that don't show up until it is run on the client. I find that having to compile and package everything and install it on a client to test makes the process very time consuming. There must be another way.

thanks,

Paul

Windows 7

All Replies

Posted by Garry Hall on 22-May-2014 12:59

Progress does not propose a “correct” way to set up your development environment for this. But personally I’d be interested in others’ experiences with this sort of thing.

To address your issue: If your client machine is in a development environment, and all you are doing is testing/debugging application functionality, you can copy files directly into the application directory on the client. If webclient finds the files, it will run them if you tell it so, even if they were not part of the packaged application. However, I would suggest this ONLY for debugging, and ONLY in a non-production environment, as this will destroy the as-needed component download functionality, and probably part of the Intellistream update functionality. Once you have identified the problem, package the necessary files through the WCAA as you are doing today, and test on a “clean” client.

If you are investigating issues with WebClient functionality (e.g. your program is in an as-needed component, and the component is not being downloaded when it should), then I have no better suggestion than using the WCAA.

2 cents,

Garry.

[collapse]