WebClient application development environment

Posted by pauldownie on 22-May-2014 11:41

Hi,

What is the proper way to set up a development environment in v. 10.2b using the AppBuilder for a WebClient application? I am trying to convert an existing ADM2 SmartObject client-server application to WebClient and am running into some fairly perplexing issues that don't show up until it is run on the client. I find that having to compile and package everything and install it on a client to test makes the process very time consuming. There must be another way.

thanks,

Paul

Windows 7

All Replies

Posted by Garry Hall on 22-May-2014 12:59

Progress does not propose a “correct” way to set up your development environment for this. But personally I’d be interested in others’ experiences with this sort of thing.

To address your issue: If your client machine is in a development environment, and all you are doing is testing/debugging application functionality, you can copy files directly into the application directory on the client. If webclient finds the files, it will run them if you tell it so, even if they were not part of the packaged application. However, I would suggest this ONLY for debugging, and ONLY in a non-production environment, as this will destroy the as-needed component download functionality, and probably part of the Intellistream update functionality. Once you have identified the problem, package the necessary files through the WCAA as you are doing today, and test on a “clean” client.

If you are investigating issues with WebClient functionality (e.g. your program is in an as-needed component, and the component is not being downloaded when it should), then I have no better suggestion than using the WCAA.

2 cents,

Garry.

[collapse]
From: pauldownie [mailto:bounce-pauldownie@community.progress.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2014 12:42 PM
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: WebClient application development environment

Thread created by pauldownie

Hi,

What is the proper way to set up a development environment in v. 10.2b using the AppBuilder for a WebClient application? I am trying to convert an existing ADM2 SmartObject client-server application to WebClient and am running into some fairly perplexing issues that don't show up until it is run on the client. I find that having to compile and package everything and install it on a client to test makes the process very time consuming. There must be another way.

thanks,

Paul

Windows 7

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by pauldownie on 22-May-2014 13:49

Thanks Garry, there is some comfort in knowing I'm not alone. I find it pretty tricky troubleshooting code this way when the issues only appear on the client. You don't have access to any of the tools available to you in the development environment. Even messages placed in SDO code that is run on the server don't display on the client.

Paul

Posted by Mike Fechner on 22-May-2014 14:10

My primary test environment for Web Client targeted applications is a prowin32.exe session not connected to any database – running out of the R-Code and on the same folders as the development environment. This is in particular helpful, as the WebClient (to my knowledge) is not debuggable.

The second test environment is the same as above, but running the webclient executable _prowc from a webclient installation. There is absolutely no need to use the Web Client Application Assembler for a developer to test the application at an early stage. So I usually never mess – at this early stage – with an existing Intellistream setup of the application.

You mentioned the challenge of messages written to the AppServer logfile: baretail and the like are your friend here!

Posted by pauldownie on 22-May-2014 15:10

Thanks for the tips Mike. I'm not sure that's going to help me figure out what the issues are but I guess it will help to find out  a little faster if the problem I hoped I fixed is still there.

Paul

This thread is closed