Table name refactoring

Posted by DBa on 22-May-2014 01:58

Hi,
we are trying to change the database layout behind a large codebase. (table and field renames)

The latest post I could find on that topic was 4 years ago. We tried to use ProRefactor, but it doesn't seem to work on AppBuilder screens because of all the scope-defines. Simple search and replace is sadly problematic because of shortend fieldnames, buffers and colliding strings...

Is there some tool that can handle this?

Thanks in advance,

David Bachmann

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 22-May-2014 09:16

What is your version?  If it is not above 10.2B I would look at Proparse.

Which said, all that preprocessor crap is likely to be a problem with any tool.

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 22-May-2014 09:16

What is your version?  If it is not above 10.2B I would look at Proparse.

Which said, all that preprocessor crap is likely to be a problem with any tool.

Posted by DBa on 22-May-2014 15:33

Thank you! I didn't realize that proparse has refactoring classes. I will have a look at it!

Is there some useful tutorial or documentation for it besides the javadoc (www.joanju.com/.../javadoc)?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 22-May-2014 15:44

Look at OE Hive for some more material.  Proparse does not have refactoring classes per se, but you can write ABL programs which walk the AST which Proparse builds in order to do, at a minimum, reporting on where changes need to be made, but I think with some extra work can do the actual refactoring.  If you have a budget ... and your time should be worth something ... you could probably get John Green to provide some pointers or even direct help.  He has done similar projects in the past.

This thread is closed