How to connect OpenEdge Editor with Postgresql database.

Posted by mohitmalik90 on 08-May-2014 05:39

hello ,

i need to connect OpenEdge Editor with Postgre Sql Database. can anyone tell me how to connect OpenEdge Editor with Postgre Sql.

All Replies

Posted by Bill Wood on 08-May-2014 05:46

Can you please explain your use case more fully?    Are you asking if the DB Navigator in Progress Developer Studio can add PostgreSQL as a database to explore, or are you asking if you can access PostgreSQL natively from ABL code in the ABL editor (or Procedure Editor)?   (For the later, you would need to use DataServers in OpenEdge, and unfortunately, there is no PostgreSQL DataServer).

If you have a particular use case in mind, the ODBC Bridge (in 11.3.2) might be an option.

Posted by Roberta Miller on 08-May-2014 09:17

PostgreSQL has a C API, so another alternative is to use the ABL shared library /DLL support and access the PostgreSQL database through the API functions. If you are interested in this approach, see the PostgreSQL documentation for the libpq C library, and OpenEdge Development: Programming Interfaces, Chapter 14, “Shared Library and DLL Support” in the OpenEdge documentation.

[collapse]
From: Bill Wood [mailto:bounce-wood@community.progress.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2014 6:47 AM
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: How to connect OpenEdge Editor with Postgresql database.

Reply by Bill Wood

Can you please explain your use case more fully?    Are you asking if the DB Navigator in Progress Developer Studio can add PostgreSQL as a database to explore, or are you asking if you can access PostgreSQL natively from ABL code in the ABL editor (or Procedure Editor)?   (For the later, you would need to use DataServers in OpenEdge, and unfortunately, there is no PostgreSQL DataServer).

If you have a particular use case in mind, the ODBC Bridge (in 11.3.2) might be an option.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by egarcia on 08-May-2014 09:34

Hello,

I am curious if you meant "Progress database" instead of "PostgreSQL database".

If you meant "Progress database", the following thread provides some suggestions on how to connect to the Progress/OpenEdge database:

community.progress.com/.../36151.aspx

Could you provide more information on your use case?

Thanks.

Posted by mohitmalik90 on 08-May-2014 12:25

Hello,

As per my use case I have a postgresql db with customer table and its related fields like custID, Name, city etc...

Now as I am using Progress 4GL in my business logic, want to access above db and customer table in my ABL program.

After accessing the postgresql db, it should be accessed like progress db.

Kindly help to provide details steps/options.

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 08-May-2014 12:29

Hi,

I would suggest taking a look at the DataServer for ODBC product.  I don't know if it is certified to work against PostgreSQL or not but you could always just give it a try.

Sincerely, Brian Maher

Posted by mohitmalik90 on 09-May-2014 00:06

Hello,

As per my use case I have a postgresql db with customer table and its related fields like custID, Name, city etc...

Now as I am using Progress 4GL in my business logic, want to access above db and customer table in my ABL program.

After accessing the postgresql db, it should be accessed like progress db.

Kindly help to provide details steps/options.

Posted by Bill Wood on 09-May-2014 04:22

What you are asking is very uncommon and I have personally never heard of this before. I believe the previous answers on this thread cover the options.

But generally speaking you can't natively have the ABL interact with a PostgreSQL db the same way it interacts with on OpenEdge db. =

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 09-May-2014 05:31

Hi,

Did you take a look at the DataServer for ODBC product?

Brian

Posted by mohitmalik90 on 09-May-2014 12:18

Dear Brian,

Could you please help me to get the DataServer references or steps to use this?

Posted by Brian K. Maher on 09-May-2014 12:29

Please open a case with Technical Support.  I don't support the DataServer part of the product and am not the person you need to be talking to.

[collapse]
From: mohitmalik90 [mailto:bounce-mohitmalik90@community.progress.com]
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2014 1:19 PM

RE: How to connect OpenEdge Editor with Postgresql database.
Reply by mohitmalik90

Dear Brian,

[/collapse]

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 09-May-2014 13:24

Note that the DataServers are their own product, separately licensed.  So, unless you have it already, you are going to have to buy a license.  I don't know if the DataServers are in the eval, but if not, you could get an eval from your rep to try out.

Posted by Peter Mellow on 09-May-2014 13:28

Dataservers is a product that you will need to purchase.

Peter

[collapse]
From: Brian K. Maher [mailto:bounce-maher@community.progress.com]
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2014 1:30 PM

Reply by Brian K. Maher

Please open a case with Technical Support.  I don't support the DataServer part of the product and am not the person you need to be talking to.

[collapse]
From: mohitmalik90 [mailto:bounce-mohitmalik90@community.progress.com]
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2014 1:19 PM

RE: How to connect OpenEdge Editor with Postgresql database.
Reply by mohitmalik90

Dear Brian,

[/collapse][/collapse]

Posted by gus on 09-May-2014 15:57

you might want to have a look at the instructions. specifically, the OpenEdge Data Management:DataServer for ODBC book. chapters 3 and 4 are what you need to get going.

Posted by nshannon on 11-May-2014 19:12

Pretty sure the ODBC Dataserver was deprecated, so, using that as a part of the solution is not future proof.

Posted by ezequielmontoya on 25-Aug-2016 14:26

Hello [mention:b6d566560a694a34aa380e40fccecb1a:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05] , did you success connecting to PostgreSQL?

This thread is closed