Error when trying to add assemblies to project

Posted by bheavican on 23-Apr-2014 09:06

Getting the error below when trying to add assemblies to my project.  They look like they are in the correct location.

I have already altered the loadFromRemoteSources to TRUE for %DLC%\bin\_progres.exe.config, %DLC%\bin\prowin32.exe.config and added %DLC%\jre\bin\javaw.exe.config.

Any ideas?

---------------------------
Add Assembly References
The following assemblies cannot be loaded in the current project:

C:\Users\<my name>\Progress\Developer Studio 4.3.1\workspace\v461\AxInterop.SIGCAPDISPLAYLib.dll
C:\Users\<my name>\Progress\Developer Studio 4.3.1\workspace\v461\Dummy.Configuration.dll
C:\Users\<my name>\Progress\Developer Studio 4.3.1\workspace\v461\Dummy.Designer.dll
C:\Users\<my name>\Progress\Developer Studio 4.3.1\workspace\v461\Dummy.InheritedControls.dll
C:\Users\<my name>\Progress\Developer Studio 4.3.1\workspace\v461\Dummy.Payment.Controls.dll
C:\Users\<my name>\Progress\Developer Studio 4.3.1\workspace\v461\Dummy.Payment.dll
C:\Users\<my name>\Progress\Developer Studio 4.3.1\workspace\v461\ExportDllAttribute.dll
C:\Users\<my name>\Progress\Developer Studio 4.3.1\workspace\v461\Dummy.Excel2007.dll
C:\Users\<my name>\Progress\Developer Studio 4.3.1\workspace\v461\Interop.FPEINTERFACELib.dll
C:\Users\<my name>\Progress\Developer Studio 4.3.1\workspace\v461\Interop.SIGCAPDISPLAYLib.dll
C:\Users\<my name>\Progress\Developer Studio 4.3.1\workspace\v461\WebClient.dll
C:\Users\<my name>\Progress\Developer Studio 4.3.1\workspace\v461\WebClient.XmlSerializers.dll

To use assemblies must either be in the folder that contains the assemblies.xml file or in the global assembly cache.

Location for the assemblies.xml file is: C:/Users/<my name>/Progress/Developer Studio 4.3.1/workspace/v461
OK

Version Info

Product Name : Progress
Install Path : C:\DLC\11.4
Version : 11.4ALPHA
Service Pack : 00
Temp. Fix : 00
Build : 1214

All Replies

Posted by bheavican on 25-Apr-2014 08:37

Anybody else have this problem or have an idea on how to solve it?

Posted by Garry Hall on 25-Apr-2014 08:56

If you don't get any other responses, try using fuslogvw to look at the assembly load failures. Stop PDSOE, start fuslogvw and clear the history, then start PDSOE and try to add the assemblies. fuslogvw should give you some idea of what the failures are. [It seems I am on a fuslogvw kick today]

I don't know the details of the PDSOE side of things, although at the .NET interface level I believe the code is similar to the AVM runtime assembly loading. If there is some sort of issue with the assembly dependencies, you could try to load the assemblies from the AVM using .NET Reflection. That would give you an error message similar to this:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Foo, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=blah' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

This would tell you that the problem is a general problem with assembly loading, not something specific to the internals of PDSOE. But if it is a general problem, I would direct you to fuslogvw to find out why.

Posted by bheavican on 25-Apr-2014 09:10

I don't have Visual Studio installed on this VM.  It looks like that is a requirement.  Do you know that answer off the top of your head?

Posted by Garry Hall on 25-Apr-2014 09:43

I did some searching on the web. I am probably not legally allowed to suggest the alternatives I found. However, it seems fuslogvw is just an interface to view the logging from the fusion subsystem in .NET. Fusion is the subsystem in .NET responsible for probing for assemblies, so I would guess that you have fusion, and fusion logging, as part of .NET, without VS. You could try to add only a small subset of the assemblies to the project, then look at the files in the Fusion log directory.

I found this MS blog (blogs.msdn.com/.../72912.aspx) about fusion. The entry is old, and I have not tried any of it, but it might provide some help.

Posted by bheavican on 25-Apr-2014 10:16

Thanks for the information Garry.  I found a workaround.  I closed PDS and manually added the assemblies to the assemblies.xml file and re-launched PDS.  My project correctly finds the assemblies now and it appears to be working fine.

Posted by Garry Hall on 25-Apr-2014 10:24

That suggests it was a problem with PDSOE, provided you didn't change the location of the assemblies, and only edited the assemblies.xml file. Thanks for letting us know.

Posted by bheavican on 25-Apr-2014 10:26

The alteration to assemblies.xml was the only change I made.  Thanks,

This thread is closed