rant: a time for reflection

Posted by jmls on 16-Apr-2014 12:01

10.2B - 2009 , OO comes of age in Progress openedge (proper garbage collection etc)

however, reflection is missing. For us poor guys that write tools for other progress developers, this is a problem. Procedures have internal-entries, classes have nada. nothing. bugger all. Ah well. Maybe they will deliver this real soon.

11.3.2. 2014. 5 YEARS LATER. We *still* don't have reflection . Really ? 5 years later ....

so, a little hope creeps in when I see the GetReflectMethods() on a progress.lang.Object class.

fire up the quattro! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXYdNwPf-w0)

damnation ...

Please, Progress, please - give us the stuff we need to build the tools and apps that the product deserves.

*frustrated* of England.

All Replies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 16-Apr-2014 12:55

I am with you Julian! Frustration in Germany!

Von: jmls
Gesendet: ‎16.‎04.‎2014 19:02
An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Betreff: rant: a time for reflection

Thread created by jmls

10.2B - 2009 , OO comes of age in Progress openedge (proper garbage collection etc)

however, reflection is missing. For us poor guys that write tools for other progress developers, this is a problem. Procedures have internal-entries, classes have nada. nothing. bugger all. Ah well. Maybe they will deliver this real soon.

11.3.2. 2014. 5 YEARS LATER. We *still* don't have reflection . Really ? 5 years later ....

so, a little hope creeps in when I see the GetReflectMethods() on a progress.lang.Object class.

fire up the quattro! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXYdNwPf-w0)

damnation ...

Please, Progress, please - give us the stuff we need to build the tools and apps that the product deserves.

*frustrated* of England.

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 17-Apr-2014 10:11

Create an "Idea" and you have my vote!

Posted by Mike Fechner on 17-Apr-2014 10:23

Should be covered in large parts by your own idea: https://community.progress.com/businessusers/i/openedge/complete_oo_functionality_in_abl.aspx and the link provided within to http://www.oehive.org/OOWishList

Did you vote for that?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 17-Apr-2014 11:41

Apropos of which, I think it would also help to identify specifically what properties you want access to and give a business case for why it matters.  I suspect we are more likely to get it piece at a time than comprehensively over night.

Posted by cwiner on 17-Apr-2014 17:14

Just curious, what is wrong with Progress.Lang.Class and it’s methods? What functionality is missing?

[collapse]
10.2B - 2009 , OO comes of age in Progress openedge (proper garbage collection etc)

however, reflection is missing. For us poor guys that write tools for other progress developers, this is a problem. Procedures have internal-entries, classes have nada. nothing. bugger all. Ah well. Maybe they will deliver this real soon.

11.3.2. 2014. 5 YEARS LATER. We *still* don't have reflection . Really ? 5 years later ....

so, a little hope creeps in when I see the GetReflectMethods() on a progress.lang.Object class.

fire up the quattro! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXYdNwPf-w0)

damnation ...

Please, Progress, please - give us the stuff we need to build the tools and apps that the product deserves.

*frustrated* of England.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 18-Apr-2014 00:40

Problem is, that you can dynamically invoke methods and get/set property values, but you can't query which methods and properties are available at least. Not to speak of parameters and data types etc.

A huge limitation typically for tool builders.

This thread is closed