Deploying licensed components

Posted by oedev on 14-Apr-2014 11:16

Looking to deploy a component we have just purchased, and struggling with license exceptions

The control is from Atalasoft (www.atalasoft.com). I have the licensed sdk on my machine, and the assembly works great. However, looking at their deployment instructions (which are all geared towards VS/C#), they expect a licx file to be generated and delivered with the executable - details here http://www.atalasoft.com/KB/article.aspx?id=10128

I am trying to create the licx file manually and then compile into a binary using a tool which comes with Visual Studio, LC. Details on this kb entry http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ha0k3c9f%28v=VS.100%29.aspx

Has anyone done something similar in that past? Is this a standard way .NET components are licensed and it supported by Openedge?

Thanks!

All Replies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 14-Apr-2014 23:51
Posted by oedev on 15-Apr-2014 05:09

Thanks Mike.

What a pain! Followed the instructions to the letter, generated the required OELicense.dll and placed in the $DLC/bin, but still get the license exception.

I've built the OELicense.dll on my machine and deployed to the target deployment machine, assume this is correct?

Thanks.

Posted by oedev on 15-Apr-2014 11:30

Atalasoft are saying that the license details need to be embeded in a executable and not an external dll.

Assume that is not possible with prowin32.exe ?

Posted by Mike Fechner on 15-Apr-2014 11:49

No that’s not possible. But I’d open a tech-support case for this with PSC..

Posted by Garry Hall on 15-Apr-2014 11:54

I am assuming they mean “managed executable”, since this is .NET code.

prowin32.exe is not managed. You could possibly try something with oebuild, but I doubt it would work. I don’t know what the “executable” would be in this case. We don’t provide any way to rebuild Progress.NetUI.dll or Progress.clrbridge.dll.

Does the vendor have information on how you can use their component from an unmanaged executable?

[collapse]