json for 10.2B ?

Posted by jmls on 01-Apr-2014 05:32

I was wondering which dll library the 11.x release uses for the Progress.lang.jsonObject and jsonArray stuff ? I have a requirement to use json on a 10.2B release, and whilst asking for the source of jsonObject et al probably would be a shot in the dark, perhaps I could create a compatible api for 10.2B if I knew the dll that was used .. 

hey, gotta ask, right ? ;)

All Replies

Posted by Peter Judge on 01-Apr-2014 08:59

If you want to create a compatible API for 10.2B, you should start with the public members (or interfaces, but I don't believe the JSON stuff has any).

You will not be able to create them with a Progress.* namespace (restricted for internal use) but otherwise you should be able to create an API-compatible layer).

-- peter

Posted by jmls on 01-Apr-2014 09:09

yeah. I know that part ;) However, what library are you using internally ? For example, you use the xerces_psc for xml ..

Posted by Evan Bleicher on 01-Apr-2014 09:15

The AVM currently utilizes yajl (yet-another-json-library) as its json parser

Posted by asthomas on 02-Apr-2014 09:51

Any chance PSC has plans to add the same JSON parsing to 10.2B? Would be nice to have the same platform independent parser available ...

Posted by jmls on 02-Apr-2014 09:51

+100

Posted by Peter Mellow on 02-Apr-2014 09:55

Sorry to say but we aren’t adding new features to 10.2B. New stuff goes into 11.

[collapse]
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 10:53 AM
To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: json for 10.2B ?

Reply by jmls

+100

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by asthomas on 02-Apr-2014 10:54

Hi Peter,

Pity - this is such a nice thing to have built into the language - and we often work with clients that are not ready to move to 11 yet. There are many customers till on 10.2B (and some even older). It is difficult to create generic tools that work on 10.2B+ without having to spend huge amounts of time on bulding our own verisons of things like this.

On a similar note - and with a risk if hi-jacking Julian's thread here... are there any plans for adding a built in REST or more generic HTTPClient object into the ABL?

There are several ABL based ones out there using sockets (oehoive built by Julian has one, I know Consultingwerk have one in their toolset). But something like this is strategically important to have built into the ABL - so that we can just get on with using and consuming things like REST services without having to buld the base tools first.

Posted by Evan Bleicher on 02-Apr-2014 11:38

Invoking a REST service from the ABL is on the OOABL road map and it is currently one of the higher priority items identified.

Posted by asthomas on 02-Apr-2014 11:48

Excellent! Any planned delivery time frames? 11.4 ;-)

Posted by Mike Fechner on 02-Apr-2014 14:24

+1

Von: bleicher [mailto:bounce-bleicher@community.progress.com]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 2. April 2014 18:39
An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Betreff: RE: json for 10.2B ?

Reply by bleicher

Invoking a REST service from the ABL is on the OOABL road map and it is currently one of the higher priority items identified.

Posted by Peter Mellow on 02-Apr-2014 15:35

REST is being looked at but no time frame on it right now. But we do see it as very important.

Peter

[collapse]
From: asthomas [mailto:bounce-asthomas@community.progress.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 11:55 AM

Reply by asthomas

Hi Peter,

Pity - this is such a nice thing to have built into the language - and we often work with clients that are not ready to move to 11 yet. There are many customers till on 10.2B (and some even older). It is difficult to create generic tools that work on 10.2B+ without having to spend huge amounts of time on bulding our own verisons of things like this.

On a similar note - and with a risk if hi-jacking Julian's thread here... are there any plans for adding a built in REST or more generic HTTPClient object into the ABL?

There are several ABL based ones out there using sockets (oehoive built by Julian has one, I know Consultingwerk have one in their toolset). But something like this is strategically important to have built into the ABL - so that we can just get on with using and consuming things like REST services without having to buld the base tools first.

[/collapse]

Posted by Peter Mellow on 02-Apr-2014 15:40

Nice try! It will be post 11.4 for sure.

[collapse]
From: asthomas [mailto:bounce-asthomas@community.progress.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 12:49 PM

Reply by asthomas

Excellent! Any planned delivery time frames? 11.4 ;-)

[/collapse]

Posted by asthomas on 03-Apr-2014 09:58

With regard to the subject of the thread - JSON objects. If you were to add it, would you not just be adding "missing features" to 10.2B? ;-)

If I remember correctly, there have been some new things added since 10.2B01 haven't there?

Posted by Bill Wood on 03-Apr-2014 10:40

If anyone wants to 'officially' vote for adding a REST Client to the OO ABL, you can go to this "Idea" -

community.progress.com/.../rest_outbound_support_should_be_in_the_abl.aspx

This thread is closed